Installing Metal Panels On Out Of Square Roof - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Installing Metal Panels On Out Of Square Roof

Old 07-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Framing Contractor

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 576

Installing Metal Panels On Out Of Square Roof

Roof is on a building over 100 years old, 3" out of square. Roof is 20' from drip edge to ridge. I recommended using a 16" standing seam panel so that I could bend the appropiate angle at the bottom and have no issues. Unfortunately the client decided to go with conventional panel which is around 30" wide. I was wondering what my best option would be for this installation. Just looking for a little insight as I've never installed such a wide panel on a roof this far out. The way I see it I have a few choices;

1. Install square to drip edge and run it out of parallel, allow flashing to cover difference. Downside to this would be obviously the taper in the first and last panel
2. Cut angle on every sheet at the bottom. Downside to this would be a non factory sealed cut exposed to the weather
3. Install panels so that there is no projection over the drip edge, and it wont be noticeable on the ground. Downside to this would be possible water infiltration due to capillary action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FullerFramer; 07-06-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Re: Installing Metal Panels On Out Of Square Roof

I usually just cut the first panel and set then square.When cutting the first panel make sure the rake will still come out on the low.A 3" difference on the first panel will be noticeable for someone who really looks but it's a lot better than trying to fudge the whole roof.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

whatever you do you want to keep the eave as straight as possible
Randy Bush (07-06-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,172

Another way would be to keep it fairly square to the rake and trim each panel at the drip edge , which is slow and a real pain. Depending on how the panels would come out could also take 1.5 off the first and the balance off the last one.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

I'd go with option 1. like you said, you other options are an exposed cut or leaving the roof flush, which is a bad idea.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #6
Framing Contractor

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 576

Here we go. Ran the sheets 1 1/4" out of parallel to rake and 7/8" ot of square to the eave, ended up being about a strong 1/16" "sawtooth". Best I could do.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullerFramer View Post
Here we go. Ran the sheets 1 1/4" out of parallel to rake and 7/8" ot of square to the eave, ended up being about a strong 1/16" "sawtooth". Best I could do.

Looks fine to me. I've had to do similar before (lots of steel on old homes). There's a limit to what you can make the material do.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,354

Looks good to me. I know some may say it doesn't happen, but I have seen way more out of square, out of plumb, out of level houses then ever seeing one perfect from top to bottom.

Although we do not do a lot of roofing any longer, when we did this all the time, one trick I used was to always run a string line on the eave, just below the level of the deck, where a guy had a clear visual on the bottom edge of the sheets. Rarely did we ever see roof have a large difference on the length of the slopes, and the most visible point of a roof, looking up, is seeing a saw tooth edge.

Now, when it comes to the rakes, there isn't a lot you can do except by using a trim that works well in cover, and can adjust.
For illustration, lets say you are using a panel that has major ribs 12 inches on center, and the roof is 46'-4 inches long. I would pick a center line, check square, and then measuring back, assure that I am setting a rib just over the end of the roof, and then it can be cut off...so if I did have a 3 inch out of square condition, I would adjust so it was an 1-1/2" and with the high rib removed, the rake trim can be set to be visually correct, and it will cover the out of square condition.

This will owrk with just about any panelized roof.

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page