Illinois Roofing Application - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Illinois Roofing Application

Old 04-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #1

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 20

Illinois Roofing Application

Hi, i'm Justin and ive been roofing residential homes for a little over 10 years and have decided to finally start my own residential roofing business in the state of illinois. I have taken the state exam and passed, i also have the correct insurance to perform roofing work in the state of illinois and have sent in the roofing license application. Now that all of that is done im waiting on an approval or denial from the state. If someone could chime in on how long they waited for a response from the IDFPR would put my mind at ease a little bit. Today is the 16th day not counting sat's and sun's that my app has been out and as of yesterday my MO still hasn't been cashed. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,062

Re: Illinois Roofing Application

Did you send in the payment by mail, and if so, by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested?

You can call them up to find out the status and time frame, but good luck being put on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes usually.

By the way, Good For You, for passing the test.

Was it on your 1st attempt?

Any advice for what to study for other posters that may be considering taking it?

Ed

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Did you send in the payment by mail, and if so, by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested?

You can call them up to find out the status and time frame, but good luck being put on hold for a minimum of 45 minutes usually.

By the way, Good For You, for passing the test.

Was it on your 1st attempt?

Any advice for what to study for other posters that may be considering taking it?

Ed
My application and payment, unfortunately, wasn't sent Certified Mail(lesson learned now). I made a half ass attempt to call the 800-560-6420 "questions about license" number this morning, waited on hold for 10 mins and then thought this could be a useless number. I'm thinking i should be calling the actual springfield office phone number, now more than earlier with a 45 min minimum wait. About the test...I went into it thinking my 10 years was enough to pass and ends up i had to make the drive a second time. A lot of the test is on safety and a lot of the questions have more than one right answer but its all about what the "recommended books" say(i did not buy the books).One thing is for sure its hard to get any info from anybody with experience on the whole process of obtaining an illinois roofing license. Ed, big thanks for posting i have been lurking(haha) in the roofing section of CT.com for a bit mostly on old old threads and you are always a polite guy. Again thanks for the congrats Ed. Would be cool if some one would maybe give me a time as to when i could expect to hear something back from IDFPR. Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Pro

They are probably getting very busy with the roofing applications, because the odd numbered years are the renewal time period for Roofing Licenses.

I believe the time was less than 30 days from what I have read before, but making the phone call "Might" be your best way to find out.

The Springfield office will more than likely inform you to call the Chicago office anyways, so just be patient and sit next to your phone on speaker mode.

Ed
Old 04-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
They are probably getting very busy with the roofing applications, because the odd numbered years are the renewal time period for Roofing Licenses.

I believe the time was less than 30 days from what I have read before, but making the phone call "Might" be your best way to find out.

The Springfield office will more than likely inform you to call the Chicago office anyways, so just be patient and sit next to your phone on speaker mode.

Ed
Ed, thank you for being so helpful. I'm thinking you are onto something with the the renewals. That's another thing i have to get straight and am a little bit confused with but i'll jump that hurdle when time comes. I remember reading a old post from "Grumpy" about how he paid renewal fee 2 months in advanced and idfpr was still late on it, so makes sense. I guess i just picked a bad time with all that going on as well. I can deal with the 30 day wait(haha) guess i'll have to, just hope its sooner than later. Big help Ed thanks man. Justin
Old 04-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Pro

I have not received my renewal notice yet, so this thread topic reminded me about it too.

I think I can do it online.

Ed
Old 04-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #7

6/30 of each odd year. Have you heard of it changing to a later date on the odd years after this year? Glad you remembered Ed

Justin
Old 04-07-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

Trade: Roofer
Rewards Points: 132

It took them about 3 to 4 weeks to process mine. I remember anxiously awaiting that piece of paper.
Congrats on passing what part off illinois are you from?
Old 04-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #9
Aka clvr83

Rewards Points: 256

It took around a month for mine. Congratulations, second time is better than the third like most. When I was waiting in line for the test I heard SOO many saying "I heard third time is a charm, if not I'm giving up" and similar.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinRoofing View Post
Hi, i'm Justin and ive been roofing residential homes for a little over 10 years and have decided to finally start my own residential roofing business in the state of illinois. I have taken the state exam and passed, i also have the correct insurance to perform roofing work in the state of illinois and have sent in the roofing license application. Now that all of that is done im waiting on an approval or denial from the state. If someone could chime in on how long they waited for a response from the IDFPR would put my mind at ease a little bit. Today is the 16th day not counting sat's and sun's that my app has been out and as of yesterday my MO still hasn't been cashed. Thanks.
Best of Luck to you Sir. I waited close to 5 months from the day I passed my test here in Illinois until I finally drove up to the state office in Springfield, il and had it approved that day. I went as far as emailing are district rep about the awful wait time considering we have to hold full insurance and a bond prior to application approval and in my case was 5 months of payments although I was prohibited from working..

The best advice I can give you is call them and see how far the backlog is, about 6 months ago they was like 4 months behind....

Call them everyday, until they no your voices name!!! after about 3 months of waiting I called religiously everyday to whatever office would listen to me rant.

Oh ya also hope you didn't mess 1 word or anything on any of the application, Instead of getting the license you'll get a deficiency checklist which only furthermore DELAYS you getting your license.

I had 2 deficiency and the lady commented its rare to see "so few problems on a application" ..........

Advertisement