Gutter Biz Question - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Gutter Biz Question

Old 03-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #1

Trade: Seamless gutter

Gutter Biz Question

Hey guys In my area pricing is fairly tight 3.25 foot and I was curious if there is like a magic number that any one has found that you have to hit for example after all expenses the business makes 85 cents a foot. I’m just trying to be competitive at the same time I don’t want to hang myself. I hope this makes since and any and all help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 446

Re: Gutter Biz Question

About Tree-fiddy a foot

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,566

Yes, the going rate here is 3.50/ft.

For 5Ē K or for downspouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2019, 08:25 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 962

I believe right now it is running me about 4.25 for new construction. I figure closer to 6 when bidding a job though. Some companies are getting upwards of 8.00 Anything over 2 stories and tearoff the price goes up accordingly.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Right now it’s roughly costing me 2.25 a foot for material labor ext. so the company is roughly making 1$ a foot when I’m charging 3.25 is that a good profit margin or am I setting my self up for failure
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutter Guy View Post
Right now itís roughly costing me 2.25 a foot for material labor ext. so the company is roughly making 1$ a foot when Iím charging 3.25 is that a good profit margin or am I setting my self up for failure
Does that $1/foot cover all your overhead costs, get you paid what you want and yield a profit after all that? If it does, then that's the right price. If it doesn't you'll need to gtfo or figure out how to sell at higher rates.
Calidecks (04-19-2019), griz (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #7

It seems to be alright at the moment. I maybe way over thinking this I’m just curious what other guys think. my dad use to run this side of the business and he’s no longer around to ask questions to. Basically I don’t want to mess up what took him 30 years to build
Old 03-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 3,310

Raise your price and see if you start losing work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
griz (03-19-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 07:37 AM   #9
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 6,298

How big is your operation ?

Old 04-19-2019, 03:05 PM   #10
Gutter Hanger

Trade: Seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 645

I'm not disclosing my price structure, as it's not the competition's business and I don't know who lurks here. But I will say that I'm right there with and sometimes lower for my 6 inch than most of the other guys in the area that are strictly 5 inch. I know this because I've had customers show me written estimates from others. I've seen some that charge as much for a foot of downspout as the gutters go for.
I'll also say that $3.50 would be pretty low in my area. Especially after factoring in hangers, caps & downspout. I use a worksheet on my estimates to factor everything into a final price. If they like it, great. If not, that's OK too. I've been as busy as I want to be and usually busier than I want to be since this thing started 10 years ago.
I refuse to cheap out on hangers and use Raytec Hangfast exclusively. I've tried a few other brands over the years to save money and I didn't like the quality.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 962

Around here every miter, every ft of down,and every elbow count as a ft. 3.50 a ft I have not seen in 10 yrs or so even as a contractor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bush View Post
Around here every miter, every ft of down,and every elbow count as a ft. 3.50 a ft I have not seen in 10 yrs or so even as a contractor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Unfortunately tons of guys are doing it for that price around here for 5Ē. In fact, a few park right next to me at the yard.

The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
Randy Bush (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,573

I’ll be the outlier here, I can’t imagine working that cheap. Chicagoland has LOADS of competition. Most of the supply houses here will actually run the gutter out for you so you can strap it to the top your truck. You don’t even need a machine to be a gutter man here. Last I heard they were charging two dollars a foot to run it out and that includes the material! This is the only place I’ve ever worked that doesn’t have the high cost of equipment as a barrier to the low-quality fly-by-night installers.

I use that to my advantage and mention it as a selling point when estimating. The cheapest job I’ve done in three years was for $5.49 per foot. I’m not bragging. Or trying to rub my pricing on someone else’s face. I simply don’t understand how anyone could stay in business making $1.25 a foot. How fast do you have to install? If we do 300 foot for the day I’m happy. But some days we can only do 100 or 150 depending on access and traffic and the complexity of the job.

OP where are you located? How do you know pricing is tight at $3.25 per foot? Who told you that? Do you have any of the national companies around you? There is one that has a built-in cover whose name I refuse to use on the Internet, those guys are selling for as much as $25 per foot sometimes.

I wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning for $3.25 per foot

Edit to add... Forget about per foot pricing. Figure out how much money you want to make in a day and then figure out how many days it takes to do the job and then add your materials cost to that. Sometimes tear offs here are very complicated and we have to go back with gutter apron or even custom flashing to account for long runs or sinking houses. It can be extremely time-consuming. A lot of older homes here have galvanized gutters with built-in drip edge. Roofing contractors here love to run the ice and water shield over it after putting 1 million roofing nails in it. Those can be a real pain to get off.

Last edited by WBailey1041; 04-19-2019 at 05:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
CrescentGutter (04-29-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #14
water re-locater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBailey1041 View Post
Iíll be the outlier here, I canít imagine working that cheap. Chicagoland has LOADS of competition. Most of the supply houses here will actually run the gutter out for you so you can strap it to the top your truck. You donít even need a machine to be a gutter man here. Last I heard they were charging two dollars a foot to run it out and that includes the material! This is the only place Iíve ever worked that doesnít have the high cost of equipment as a barrier to the low-quality fly-by-night installers.

I use that to my advantage and mention it as a selling point when estimating. The cheapest job Iíve done in three years was for $5.49 per foot. Iím not bragging. Or trying to rub my pricing on someone elseís face. I simply donít understand how anyone could stay in business making $1.25 a foot. How fast do you have to install? If we do 300 foot for the day Iím happy. But some days we can only do 100 or 150 depending on access and traffic and the complexity of the job.

OP where are you located? How do you know pricing is tight at $3.25 per foot? Who told you that? Do you have any of the national companies around you? There is one that has a built-in cover whose name I refuse to use on the Internet, those guys are selling for as much as $25 per foot sometimes.

I wouldnít get out of bed in the morning for $3.25 per foot

Heís gone lol. A one and done poster I believe

Old 04-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Gutters
Rewards Points: 1,573

I told you he wouldnít last long at 3.25 per foot lol

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WBailey1041 For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (04-29-2019), Bull Trout (04-19-2019), CrescentGutter (04-29-2019), NYgutterguy (04-19-2019), Randy Bush (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #16

Nope I’m not a one and done poster. And I run a minimum of 500’ per day and I’ve seen the other installers bids is how I know what the prices are around me
Old 04-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #17

And we have been in business for over 30 years I was just asking for advice since my dad had passed unexpectedly and I’m just trying to keep it on tract sorry for asking for help I guess
Old 04-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
water re-locater

Quote:
Nope Iím not a one and done poster. And I run a minimum of 500í per day and Iíve seen the other installers bids is how I know what the prices are around me

. Welcome back

Old 04-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #19
water re-locater

Quote:
And we have been in business for over 30 years I was just asking for advice since my dad had passed unexpectedly and Iím just trying to keep it on tract sorry for asking for help I guess

Stick around. I ended up in same situation as you. My dad started business 50 years ago and i took over 26

The Following User Says Thank You to NYgutterguy For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (04-20-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 07:10 PM   #20

He never really had me do this side of the business I have just been an installer. So I’m just trying to make sure what I’m doing is right it hasn’t been easy since he’s passed

Advertisement