Flat Roofing Is Not My Trade! THE BEST Book On Flat Roofs. - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Flat Roofing Is Not My Trade! THE BEST Book On Flat Roofs.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:16 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 84

Flat Roofing Is Not My Trade! THE BEST Book On Flat Roofs.

Especially flat roofs! I don't know much about them. And the info that is on the internet seems to be confusing.

Is there a best textbook on flat roofs or THE BIBLE on flat roofs that I can get. Thicker the better I guess so I can always use it as a reference book in the future.

I don't get much work for flat roofs but I do get the occasional work that includes flat roof work. And, I want to know what's going on when my sub is doing the work.

Can you guys suggest the best book on it?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 12,436

Re: Flat Roofing Is Not My Trade! THE BEST Book On Flat Roofs.

Go to your local roofing supplier and ask for the manufacturer's lirerature

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
Rio (04-26-2018), Tom M (04-27-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 11:15 PM   #3

You follow the manufacturer's instructions to the T but they all make inflated claims and publish white papers that push their own products over others.

I wanted an independent source. I have textbooks on other trades in which one book is like the BIBLE of that trade. Wondering if there was a bible for low sloped flat roofing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
Go to your local roofing supplier and ask for the manufacturer's lirerature
The Following User Says Thank You to AlabamaSummers For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (04-26-2018)

Old 04-25-2018, 11:54 PM   #4
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaSummers View Post
You follow the manufacturer's instructions to the T but they all make inflated claims and publish white papers that push their own products over others.

I wanted an independent source. I have textbooks on other trades in which one book is like the BIBLE of that trade. Wondering if there was a bible for low sloped flat roofing.
You asked for the book it doesn't get any better or more detailed than this. So piss off if you don't like the answer
Old 04-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
Shingler extraordinaire

https://www.google.com/search?q=flat...obile&ie=UTF-8
Old 04-26-2018, 02:53 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,266

ahhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahaha yeah fOOKFACE. All we got is the Quran, a few tripitakas the Torah and a Talmud. The rest of us went to a secret flat roofing school and vowed not to share info with tools that sell roofs and dont even know how to lay them. So beat it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (04-26-2018), Californiadecks (04-26-2018), WBailey1041 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 03:43 PM   #7

You guys misunderstood my last answer. When I started with "you" in my answer I meant everyone and that includes me. I didn't mean just you. I follow the manual to the T and even don't take any shortcuts or at least try not to. ��

I just meant that every manufacturer pushes very hard for their own product and so I don't trust everything they claim. I was asking just asking if you knew of any 3rd party source.

Wow, both of you guys had a bad day?
SmallTownGuy (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,136

Quote:
You guys misunderstood my last answer. When I started with "you" in my answer I meant everyone and that includes me. I didn't mean just you. I follow the manual to the T and even don't take any shortcuts or at least try not to. ��

I just meant that every manufacturer pushes very hard for their own product and so I don't trust everything they claim. I was asking just asking if you knew of any 3rd party source.

Wow, both of you guys had a bad day?
I knew what you meant. Surprised at the answers.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Why are you surprised, they work on roofs and it is tough hot work
The Following User Says Thank You to Framer53 For This Useful Post:
Rio (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:03 PM   #10

I think it was all a misunderstanding. I think they thought I was trying to say they just blindly follow the manuals and don't use their brain or somethihng.

But I think those manuals are THE bible for that equipment. I keep telling my new guys or the homeowners to never lose it that but they don't listen or believe me. Sometimes, it hard to find a really old manual.

Anyways...I think those roofer guys just misunderstood. I was just looking for a 3rd party book or textbook where they don't kinda' push their brand. It's subtle but you can definitely see the bias.

Btw,I don't think roofers have it the toughest. Plumbers have it the roughest, I think. Why do you think they have more alcoholics than all the trades combined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
I knew what you meant. Surprised at the answers.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #11
Shingler extraordinaire

Quote:
I think it was all a misunderstanding. I think they thought I was trying to say they just blindly follow the manuals and don't use their brain or somethihng.

But I think those manuals are THE bible for that equipment. I keep telling my new guys or the homeowners to never lose it that but they don't listen or believe me. Sometimes, it hard to find a really old manual.

Anyways...I think those roofer guys just misunderstood. I was just looking for a 3rd party book or textbook where they don't kinda' push their brand. It's subtle but you can definitely see the bias.

Btw,I don't think roofers have it the toughest. Plumbers have it the roughest, I think. Why do you think they have more alcoholics than all the trades combined?
The manual has all the detail diagrams in them
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 PM   #12

I was looking for a book that tells you the truth on which products are the best, the true longevity, which one's really work, etc. Stuff like that. Basically, THE bible on flat roofing.

Quote:
The manual has all the detail diagrams in them
A&E Exteriors (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Shingler extraordinaire

I have found most EPDM to be created equally.

TPO I like the Versico Versiweld. It is my understanding it is the exact same membrane as Carlisle which has a phenomenal reputation, but you don't have to be registered to buy it.

PVC I like IB. Have not yet used the Versico PVC but I'm sure it's a good product based on my installing their TPO.

As far as Mod Bit goes...I haven't really noticed a difference in any of them. Go thick as you can get, and a name brand. Make sure it gets the piss rolled out of it if its self adhesive. I'm a single ply guy though
The Following User Says Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
AlabamaSummers (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #14

Thanks, you're a good guy.

Quote:
I have found most EPDM to be created equally.

TPO I like the Versico Versiweld. It is my understanding it is the exact same membrane as Carlisle which has a phenomenal reputation, but you don't have to be registered to buy it.

PVC I like IB. Have not yet used the Versico PVC but I'm sure it's a good product based on my installing their TPO.

As far as Mod Bit goes...I haven't really noticed a difference in any of them. Go thick as you can get, and a name brand. Make sure it gets the piss rolled out of it if its self adhesive. I'm a single ply guy though
Old 04-26-2018, 11:43 PM   #15
Pro

What about me? I'm still an asshole?

Well Andy is nice and I am an asshole so I really don't have a comeback to that.

And why is everyone surprised? We always treat the new guys like this! Where have y'all been? It's how we weed out the wimps. Just ask nygutterguy.
He had the best intro into ct and is still here.

Geez I have been gone for too long. I really need to ramp up my posting and get everyone used to hazing the new guys again.

Andy.... That was great but I'm not gonna lie it kinda shocked me too. Especially from you but I was right behind you, wrong or right, ready to start scratching eyes out. Insert Chest bump here

Anyway. So much for my fun. Welcome to the forum I guess... Where everyone wants to act all courteous and proper like.

I know what ur looking for and they used to give them away at some school back in the day.. but I can't remember where I got it. And have no idea where it might be.

But what they are saying is true. If you're looking for installation techniques or dos and don't that's exactly what you're going to get. It's not a product bias manual and they aren't trying to sell the installers the product. They are just telling you how to put theirs on. It's simple just watch and you'll learn. And I mean WATCH your installers because they will take shortcuts if you aren't around. Just be present and show up several times a day and walk the roof so they know you are checking up on them. Then get the hell out of their way.

Last edited by madrina; 04-26-2018 at 11:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #16
Pro

And best product choices are preference and depend on each application.

Why would you choose peel and stick over torch? You gotta consider the wind, the temperature, what's underneath the decking, how much space is between the torch flame and insulation? Is every knook and cranny accessible with the torch etc? How badly you would get sued if your guy started a smoldering fire and how many people could get killed. Stuff like that.

Tpo vs densdeck vs epdm? 40 mil 60 mil? Do u have to insulate above or below the substrate. Do they have enuf insulation below deck? if you use epdm are you going to turn the building into a sauna.

Do they want a 20 year warranty? Is there going to be a lot of foot traffic? There's just so many questions you need to ask before you choose a system.

The only product I know that's tough to work with is a tpo but I can't remember the brand. Not Firestone not Carlisle.

It's hard to weld and it's hard to make details and it doesn't flex like the others. Ive only worked with it once and I ended up returning it and starting over with Carlisle.

Everything else is comparable to it's competitor
Old 04-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 360

Quote:

Not any of the plumbers I’ve ever met, they’re all a bunch of prima donnas.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:56 AM   #18
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 6

Concrete is the toughest
As for this is the best product... well manufacturers are always working on bettering their products so one that says hey this is the best is going to be outdated pretty soon. Best to learn the basics, how water flows & types of flat roofs along with understanding that flat roofs are never flat is best followed by the original answer
Old 04-27-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 3,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Not any of the plumbers I’ve ever met, they’re all a bunch of prima donnas.
I concur.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #20
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 4,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrina View Post
What about me? I'm still an asshole?

Well Andy is nice and I am an asshole so I really don't have a comeback to that.

And why is everyone surprised? We always treat the new guys like this! Where have y'all been? It's how we weed out the wimps. Just ask nygutterguy. .

In all fairness I joined the site 30 seconds after i found it. No lurking for months or years. And it only took me about 8 posts to figure out what section to actually post in lol. (After your message ) Think I posted an intro in 3 different threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement