Flat Roof - What Roofing System Should I Use? - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Flat Roof - What Roofing System Should I Use?

Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 539

Flat Roof - What Roofing System Should I Use?

I just can't decide for sure, but I am thinking that I want to have a fully adhered 60mil EPDM installed. But unfortunately cost is absolutely the #1 factor. I am in OH, anybody know if we will be required to insulate it, or will that be optional.

The roof is pretty much a 80x80 bowl with several issues. Tear off and prep will be significant, as there are at least 5 layers of mostly granulated roll roofing on it now and several active leaks with some rot. Interior space is mostly unconditioned now, but we do run some heat in the winter to take the chill off. Roof/ceiling height is about 30'. Originally, there was just the one roof drain, but due to some sagging, another was added. Substrate is likely oak(or other hardwood) lumber.

I have looked into the Firestone epdm products and have a list of contractors I will contact when I get approval.

But should I consider any of the other options like TPO or even a 3 ply hot mop? Basically, anything except a ballasted system, I suppose.

I would like some info before I waste a contractor's time.

Some pics for your enjoyment. Heck, everybody like pictures.

I know it is not the best way, but due to $$$ we are even looking at doing this in two halves. Basically, divide the roof between the drains and to 1 half at a time.

Would any of you consider doing it such a way? Ballpark, what am I looking at - $400 sq, or closer to 7?

Is it as big of a disaster as I think it is?

Here is an interior shot showing the typical roofdeck construction.

Thanks

Last edited by acro; 04-05-2013 at 08:51 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: GENERAL CONSTRUCTION
Rewards Points: 98

Re: Flat Roof - What Roofing System Should I Use?

Quote:
But unfortunately cost is absolutely the #1 factor.
The reason the roof is as Ferked as it is,Is because cost was the Number one factor.

From the pics I wouldn't set a ladder for 7...

Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

You will have to have some kind of substrate to adhere the EPDM to. A 1/2 coverboard would be fine if you are not heating the space much, But if you are having ponding issues using tapered iso is the way to go. EPDM is just fine, TPO would be ok. Both are about the same price TPO Maybe a bit cheaper.

The problem is with a layer tear off, no one or I should say no one, but someone may touch it for 700 a sq. If it was me your looking at about 1K-1500 a sq. depending on all of the other factors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Pro

I had been considering several different substrate options, but I can see where the tapered iso would definitely be something I would want to consider. before any of the others.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Commercial Roofer

Trade: Commercial Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 42

Any wet substrate, insulation, or rotten decking needs to be replaced. But a Conklin Roof system might save you a lit of money in the long run. By restoring the Roof instead of replacing with up to a 20 year warranty. Warranty can be extended at that time at a fraction of the cost of the first system. We install these all the time. Go too my page.
Greenerroofing.com
Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Howdy, one of my fb homies..
Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Pro

A coating is a coating, not a roof replacement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1985gt For This Useful Post:
JWilliams (04-10-2013), lrissler (04-12-2013), MAULEMALL (04-10-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #8
Commercial Roofer

Trade: Commercial Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
You will have to have some kind of substrate to adhere the EPDM to. A 1/2 coverboard would be fine if you are not heating the space much, But if you are having ponding issues using tapered iso is the way to go. EPDM is just fine, TPO would be ok. Both are about the same price TPO Maybe a bit cheaper.

The problem is with a layer tear off, no one or I should say no one, but someone may touch it for 700 a sq. If it was me your looking at about 1K-1500 a sq. depending on all of the other factors.
No matter what Roofing system you decide to install you need to do core samples of the existing Roof. Sounds like it should be tore off and decking replaced where it is soft, install New ISO board tapered insulation and install your New Roof system to it. My policy is if the customer is too cheap to do it right then I won't be doing the job. My advice is do it right and don't waste your money on a bandage!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:30 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,262

Why is cost your first concern about this? If the question is something like "what kind of deck railing should I choose?" Then yes I give people different options based on cost. But if you're talking about how to seal a flat roof, is there more than one option? Do not leave rotted wood in the structure or do half at a time, or use a hot mop. Whatever system you use, follow specs exactly. Are you a general? There's lots of uninsured hack roofers out there, so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone to cut corners like you explain. But when the roof leaks, they are not going to be around.
The Following User Says Thank You to KennMacMoragh For This Useful Post:
lrissler (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrissler View Post
No matter what Roofing system you decide to install you need to do core samples of the existing Roof. Sounds like it should be tore off and decking replaced where it is soft, install New ISO board tapered insulation and install your New Roof system to it. My policy is if the customer is too cheap to do it right then I won't be doing the job. My advice is do it right and don't waste your money on a bandage!
Must have miss quoted because a tear off on this project would be a must. 5 layers is over code here...
Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Pro

Yes, definitely a tear off for starters.

Advertisement