Flat Roof Options - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Flat Roof Options

Old 03-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4

Flat Roof Options

This flat roof has a small leak in it. Roof top deck...3rd floor.

I pulled up one board just to inspect the roof and it generally looks to be in ok condition. My guess is that somewhere the roofing membrane is cracked.

My plan is to pull up all boards, inspect the sleepers and then apply a new coat over the roof to seal it up.

My question is what type of sealant should I be putting on this roof? I'm in Canada (Toronto). I'm unsure if I should be putting a rubber or tar type product.

Couple pictures of what it looks like under as well as a roof that is nearby which is the same material.

Thanks all! Very much appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Flat Roof Options-img-4943.jpg   Flat Roof Options-img-4942.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Decks, Additions
Rewards Points: 15,166

Re: Flat Roof Options

Replace the roof, there is no coating that cracked old Built Up. Also if ANY moisture is still in the existing roof your coating will blister and fail

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
RoofCarrollton (03-26-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 01:11 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor focusing on Commercial Roofing and Home building
Rewards Points: 2

Your local roofing supply house should be able to cut you a piece of EPDM that will fit this job so you do not have to buy a 5 x 10 roll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks all for your feedback. I might get yelled at but what about this approach. I'm really look to get another few years out of the roof before I drop thousands to repalce.

I've been cleaning the gravel off and generally seems in ok shape. Some low spots I'll patch. Then I was going to get a piece of EPDM the size of the deck...15x15 and drap it over the sleepers so it will act as a drain. I have good eve's to catch the water. That way my thinking is 98% of the water will be caught by the EPDM and drained down to the eves and anything that get's below the roof is still mostly leak free.

I know this is a hack but I guess the question is how bad of a hack is it.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM   #5
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Decks, Additions
Rewards Points: 15,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattypV50 View Post
Thanks all for your feedback. I might get yelled at but what about this approach. I'm really look to get another few years out of the roof before I drop thousands to repalce.

I've been cleaning the gravel off and generally seems in ok shape. Some low spots I'll patch. Then I was going to get a piece of EPDM the size of the deck...15x15 and drap it over the sleepers so it will act as a drain. I have good eve's to catch the water. That way my thinking is 98% of the water will be caught by the EPDM and drained down to the eves and anything that get's below the roof is still mostly leak free.

I know this is a hack but I guess the question is how bad of a hack is it.
If you dont know how to do what you are proposing then call an roofer with some verifiable carpentry expierence.This forum is for professional contractors. Not homeowners who dont "want to drop thousands into their roof"
Old 03-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Rewards Points: 1,962

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement

A&E Exteriors (03-24-2020)