Flashing Veneer Stone - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Flashing Veneer Stone

Old 06-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flashing Veneer Stone

Could use some advice regarding flashing chimney faced with veneer stone:

Have built new block chimney and plan to face it with cultured stone (owens corning). Tech details from the manufacturer specify that a 2" space must be left under the bottom course of stone and above the roof deck, in order to allow water to weep from behind the veneer. This will result in an ugly finish to the job, particularly on my ranch house with 4 - in 12 pitch roof. Chimney also involves a cricket.

Has anyone overcome this design problem? I'd appreciate all ideas that will enable me to proceed towards a nice looking finish

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential roofing contractor
Rewards Points: 186

Re: Flashing Veneer Stone

Well, since I think like a roofer 'cause I are one, might I suggest that you wrap the block and adjacent roof decking with ice and watershield, then flash out with the metal flashing . . . and then apply the final product on the chimney structure . . . . and forget about the 2" gap.

I would still leave a gap that allows water to clear, but it needn't be ugly.

Just my .02.

Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #3

I've run I/W shield along the deck and up the block chimney approx. 6". It appears you're suggesting I drop I/W from the chimney top down over the chimney and the I/W just mentioned, to shed any water getting to the block.

If I were to do that, I'd have to nail lathe along the entire face of the chimney, over the I/W in order to place the veneer, step flash and counter flash under the lathe, and finally leave some space between the bottom course of the veneer and the deck. Is that what you're suggesting?

If so, have you done anything similar? How did it look when finished, and did it function properly?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing & Siding Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

If it's just block right now, I'd step flash/counter flash the block chimney, then apply the veneer from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to J-Peffer For This Useful Post:
mikehdg (06-26-2009)
Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Roofer

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

If the chimney has been properly shingled and flashed than you can run your stone much closer to the deck than what the spec's suggest,
the bottom of the stone should be atleast 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the highest point of your shingles.

Don't forget to let your flashing's run beyond the corners instead of cutting and wrapping them.
Use over sized step flashing's that lay on the deck and run up the block atleast six inches.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

Could you provide some details regarding running the flashing beyond the corners?

I'd plan to place an apron on the lowest face of the chimney, step flashing up the sides of the chimney, and a cricket on the high end. How might I go beyond the corners?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

its not a chimney but you can see how the flashing extends past on the bottom and top

Last edited by Tom Struble; 08-06-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #8
Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehdg View Post
Could you provide some details regarding running the flashing beyond the corners?

I'd plan to place an apron on the lowest face of the chimney, step flashing up the sides of the chimney, and a cricket on the high end. How might I go beyond the corners?

Thanks in advance.
Like toms pic shows, except his don't show step flashing.

When you run your apron flashing on the front 'lowest point' the base that sets on the deck will extend out beyond the sides 4" or so and the top portion that's running up the wall will be cut and rapped,
than your step flashing will extend at least 2" 'break point' out past the corner of the chimney and over lap your apron flashing.
After you install the stone the part of the step flashing left exposed can be trimmed back close to the surface of the stone so it's not visible from the ground.

I always color code my flashing's to flow with the trim colors of the home.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

yea i didnt take any pics during flashing but the step flashing extends past the break point over the first shingle,then the counter is wraped around the step flashing locking the counter in place
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Roofer

oops, posted in wrong spot.

Advertisement

Tags
chimney , flashing , roofing , veneer