Drying Plywood Roofing For Mold Remediation - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Drying Plywood Roofing For Mold Remediation

Old 02-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #1

Trade: Mechanical Design
Rewards Points: 10

Drying Plywood Roofing For Mold Remediation

Hello All,

This is my first post on this site, and i'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right section.

I'm working on a mold remediation project for a large warehouse with an exposed plywood roof. The warehouse is a standard wood framed building that had its roof replaced last summer. The 1/2" plywood panels that made up the roof were rained on during construction and not dried out properly. We are going to use dehumidifiers to dry the plywood from the underside before treating the mold. The issue I'm having is finding a way to estimate the time it will take for the water within the plywood to migrate to the exposed surface. This seems to be the limiting factor in how fast we can dry the wood to an acceptable moisture content since we can only dry from the one exposed surface. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,004

Re: Drying Plywood Roofing For Mold Remediation

Going to depend on how wet the plywood is, ambient temp, humidity, air flow and how much air you can run through your dehumidifers & how fast they can work.

English translation is who knows? A lot of variables.

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Are you saying you have mold from the wet plywood?

Seems odd as I have seen and put down soaking wet plywood aND osb AND NEVER SEEN MOLD DEVELOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,846

Roof replaced last summer and the sheathing is still wet?

How can this be??? something smells fishy
Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

Trade: Mechanical Design
Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I did leave some details out of the first post, so allow me to clarify.

The roof was replaced last summer with plywood that was rained on, so it was installed wet. The roof membrane was then installed but the contractor decided they didn't need to insulate the roof.

The warehouse is used for food processing so it has a high internal humidity level. So at night the uninsulated roof allows the moisture in the air to condense on the surface of the plywood. I believe this was the root cause for the mold growth.

So my plan is to dump dry air in the space to get the water at the surface of the wood to evaporate. What I can't seem to figure out is how long the water within the wood will take to migrate to the exposed surface once i begin drying it.

Once the wood reaches an appropriate moisture content we will treat the mold and apply insulation to the roof. I just need an accurate estimate of the time it will take for the wood to reach its equilibrium moisture content.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 1,002

Four weeks.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,002

Accurate? No. Much like your intentions of helping these homeowners.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 346

New plywood, new insolation, new roof. Less time then trying to dry the old stuff.

Advertisement

Tags
dehumidifiers , dry , mold , roofing , wood