Does Code Require - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Does Code Require

Old 03-19-2010, 05:40 AM   #1

Trade: Windows,Siding,Roofing,Gutters
Rewards Points: 75

Does Code Require

Does code require roof vents? Have a insurance claim and currently there are no vents on this 4/12 pitch roof. Adjuster says it is code to have a min. of 6 vents, so I said ok

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Does Code Require

yes code does require roof vents, I beleive it is 1 sq. ft for every 250 sq. ft. of attic,never heard of a minimum number required.

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,644

Code says 1sqft /300 for attics that have insulated ceilings with a vapor barrier, or 1sqft /150 without a vapor barrier(like blown in or something). The last edition allowed for unvented assemblies assuming the use of a spray foam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,116

NO code does not always require roofs to have roof vents. If it's a hot roof you don't want to be putting any vents on the roof. If you did vent a hot roof in most cases it would be meaningless as there would be insulation under the decking.

For example today looked at a roof that has no vents on the roof or on the eaves. 54sq 12/12 hot roof! Local inspector wants ice and water shield on the whole thing. Did another roof on the reservation that was a hot roof and again no vents needed full ice and water shield but that one was a 3/12 so by code it needed either ice and water on the whole roof or two layers of 15 pound felt tared together.

Only had a couple adjusters offer to pay for turtle vents. I stopped putting additional vents into my bids for insurance companies because so many question it and rarely ever pay it since very few city inspectors will put anything in writing anymore. Of course the home owners end up getting the correct amount of vents anyways. Today wrote an estimate for a large claim that included ice and water on an unheated outbuilding and two vents. MN code no longer required ice and water on unheated outbuilding and it didn't have any vents. The adjuster got carried away when the claim hit $20K. He put in overhead and profit for me even, 10 and 10.