Commercial Roof Warranties - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Commercial Roof Warranties

Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

Trade: Commercial Roofing
Rewards Points: 25

Commercial Roof Warranties

I'm sure this has been discussed before but just wanted to get some input from others. We are an authorized installer for a manufacturer, and do mostly commercial low slope roofing (EPDM, TPO). Most of the big big companies in my area always offer a 15 or 20 year warranty with all jobs they estimate for others. Of course when bidding a job the GC or for county work they want a warranty with that work but I am talking about the building owner that has a 10,000 square foot building that needs the roof replaced. So he calls and is getting prices and we go out to measure and give him our estimate. I honestly do about 40% with a total system warranty and 60 % without a warranty. If its not total system warranty I will offer a material warranty and a leak warranty for our workmanship. I truly believe warranties are NOT to protect the building owner, they are only for the manufacturer itself but it sure looks good when the owner hears that I will have a total system warranty compared to having a material warranty from me. If they even realize the difference. I have found lately that our old ways of estimating has not been the most efficient. By that I mean we usually get called go out and give an estimate for the all out best roof system, which now a days is not what people are after. People are after the lowest price And that's just about it. So instead I have started to first call the owner or whoever is signing the check or his designated person in charge of getting prices to get some input. I wanna know how long they want this roof to last, is this going to be strictly on who is the lowest of all estimates, do they want a warranty, do they know what a warranty really does.... Etc etc etc. From my manufacturer this is how it works, they say that all materials used marketed by them will be warranted against defects and so on. But if in 8 years the building starts to leak and it is investigated and we go out to see why it is leaking, and we find a hole in the middle of the roof, and its not from material breakdown the OWNER will pay to have it fixed UNLESS the material is 80 Mil or thicker and they have a accidental puncture warranty. 99 % of the time whoever gives an estimate to reroof a building for an owner is not pricing 80 mil or thicker so they (the building owner) won't have protection over holes that magically appear in roofs. I don't know about you guys but holes have ways of just showing up in the middle of no where in roofs. But with my manufacturer to have protection against these types of leaks/holes you have to use 80 mil TPO or EPDM to get accidental puncture warranty and then they only allow up to so many man hours per year for that type of work. So I know I have ranted on and on but how do you all deal with this (warranties) if you do and any suggestions well be greatly appreciated?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,786

Re: Commercial Roof Warranties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsburner10 View Post
I'm sure this has been discussed before but just wanted to get some input from others. We are an authorized installer for a manufacturer, and do mostly commercial low slope roofing (EPDM, TPO). Most of the big big companies in my area always offer a 15 or 20 year warranty with all jobs they estimate for others. Of course when bidding a job the GC or for county work they want a warranty with that work but I am talking about the building owner that has a 10,000 square foot building that needs the roof replaced. So he calls and is getting prices and we go out to measure and give him our estimate. I honestly do about 40% with a total system warranty and 60 % without a warranty. If its not total system warranty I will offer a material warranty and a leak warranty for our workmanship. I truly believe warranties are NOT to protect the building owner, they are only for the manufacturer itself but it sure looks good when the owner hears that I will have a total system warranty compared to having a material warranty from me. If they even realize the difference. I have found lately that our old ways of estimating has not been the most efficient. By that I mean we usually get called go out and give an estimate for the all out best roof system, which now a days is not what people are after. People are after the lowest price And that's just about it. So instead I have started to first call the owner or whoever is signing the check or his designated person in charge of getting prices to get some input. I wanna know how long they want this roof to last, is this going to be strictly on who is the lowest of all estimates, do they want a warranty, do they know what a warranty really does.... Etc etc etc. From my manufacturer this is how it works, they say that all materials used marketed by them will be warranted against defects and so on. But if in 8 years the building starts to leak and it is investigated and we go out to see why it is leaking, and we find a hole in the middle of the roof, and its not from material breakdown the OWNER will pay to have it fixed UNLESS the material is 80 Mil or thicker and they have a accidental puncture warranty. 99 % of the time whoever gives an estimate to reroof a building for an owner is not pricing 80 mil or thicker so they (the building owner) won't have protection over holes that magically appear in roofs. I don't know about you guys but holes have ways of just showing up in the middle of no where in roofs. But with my manufacturer to have protection against these types of leaks/holes you have to use 80 mil TPO or EPDM to get accidental puncture warranty and then they only allow up to so many man hours per year for that type of work. So I know I have ranted on and on but how do you all deal with this (warranties) if you do and any suggestions well be greatly appreciated?
It's all about the clause of your warranty. Manufacturer has theirs own and you have your own... simple as that. Warranty is about Owner protection...Nothing else.
Material Warranty, is what manufacturer saying to the HO and Contractor, that they stay behind theirs product/system for so many years. HO makes a choice does he want material/system last 30 years or 50 years...
Same in your case, does a HO want you as a contractor who offers warranty for the duration stated on your work to last for the duration of that warranty and workmanship stated, or Owner want a contractor who will tell him when he has a leak or failure, that was part of the 60% of your roof that wasn't covered...my 40% is in that corner that didn't leak.

Which brings me to ask you this... What you mean by saying "I honestly do about 40% with a total system warranty and 60 % without a warranty.If its not total system warranty I will offer a material warranty and a leak warranty for our workmanship." This just don't make any sense...

The only way to interpret that, your warranty is good for nothing... and if there is a leak of failure what do you say to the Owner?

Advertisement

Last edited by greg24k; 02-18-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing/Siding
Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
Which brings me to ask you this... What you mean by saying "I honestly do about 40% with a total system warranty and 60 % without a warranty.If its not total system warranty I will offer a material warranty and a leak warranty for our workmanship." This just don't make any sense...

The only way to interpret that, your warranty is good for nothing... and if there is a leak of failure what do you say to the Owner?
Greg, I think he means 40% of his BIDS include a system warranty, not 40% of a single job is covered under a system warranty.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
greg24k (02-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

We offer a 2,5,10 year contractors warranty for low slope res and small commercial.

Then for larger commercial we give them options. IE 10 warranty on Ballasted EPDM.

15 or 20 year fully adhered EPDM TPO PVC.

Or 25-30 for 90 mil EPDM and 80 TPO.

If they are looking for puncture resistance then yes. you would have to use the thicker membrane and coverboards.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #5

Trade: Commercial Roofing
Rewards Points: 25

What I mean is how renegade explained it. With 40 % of job I offer a material warranty not a total system warranty. Which means that I offer a workmanship warranty for x amount of years after that all they have is a guarantee that if the material prematurely breakdowns the owner is protected, not protected against leaks. But my issue is with total system warranties. It sounds great to an owner that a total system warranty sounds as if, if there is a leak and any place, area, location in my roof system I will have it covered no matter what. Which is true to an extent, yes if the material breaksdown they are covered, if the workmanship breaks down they are covered. But if a hole is in the middle of the roof with no penetrations around and is investigated for it to be covered they would of had to use 80 mil membrane or thicker for that to be covered. I just have not had any good experience with warranties in the past, not me
Myself but seen them hold no value when they need to. For instance a customer of ours built a new building. We bid it got beat and someone installed a fibertite roof system and all was good
For 5 years. Building started having leaks and was investigated. Seaman corp said there were holes out in the middle of roof and were not from material breakdown or workmanship. So they charged an average of 500 a hole to fix. They paid about 4,000 in 2 years and told them they would have us service the roof from here on out. My general question is what are your thoughts on warranties in general?
The Following User Says Thank You to Volsburner10 For This Useful Post:
greg24k (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 48

They are only as good as the manufacturer.

Take the old Dura Loc for example, a lot of those folks with a coating issue had claims, completely legitimate claims, and they refused to cover it. Blaming everyone else except thier manufacturing. I have worked with other manufacturers, both comp and metal, that didn’t even come and look at the reported issue....yet the customers, got a check for full replacement costs.

Warranties are great, but only if the people behind it are worth a damn...and who can really know if they are. We install products we beleive are great, but only time will tell if they actually hold up to what the manufacturers’ state. If your installing products that have been around for 30+ years you can assume they stand behind what they make. Newer products trying to get a foot in the door, dura loc for example back in the day, did not have the same install or test history. These are potentially products you may get screwed on warranty coverage from.

Same goes for the installation warranties; it is only as good as the contractor who put it on. If they are flakey, they will blow it off or be out of business and hence not available to fix it.

Buying product and services from established companies and using products that have been around for decades helps your chances of getting a warranty thats worth a damn. Your still taking a gamble either way.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 02-18-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 346

Warranties are fine IMO. If a customer wants a warranty it's my job to offer them one. It's also my job to explain what the warranty will and will not cover. If they want a Manufactures warranty, here is what we can offer, they will cover this this and this, they won't cover punctures. If you wish to have protection for punctures you would need this system. If you would like our in house warranty it will be a little less expensive but does not cover as long of a time frame. We typically co 2,5-10 on EPDM and 2,5 on TPO.

It's a lot like a car warranty. It will cover items that a defective, not tires you burned up, oil changes ect.

So many people say warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. For me if it sells a job and the customer is informed of what it does and doesn't cover, I have no issues at all.

I've hardly ever had any issues with any of the manufactures we install or do warranty repairs on. We did have one but it was a very messed up situation to begin with, and they were a bit slow to pay us. But 90% we have not had any problems.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,280

Wow. What the heck?. Im not sure i understand the question and cant believe anyone else did either. But w regard to warranties and manufacturers... I always try to sell the building owner on the NDL warranty. JUST to transfer the ownership of liability. With an NDL warranty the manufacturer will pay for laboR materials and everything. W a material warranty, the owner is still stuck payin for labor and if the roofer is still around he/she is usually stuck doing the work for free. Lets face it.. There arent a whole lot of roofers that make it past 2 years so any warranty really worth the paper its written on needs to come from the manufacturer. Its in everybodys best interest.

Plus w an ndl warranty u have the manufacturer backing the fact that the prob was not w the install no matter what.

Advertisement