Advice For Selling Roofs - Roofing - Contractor Talk

Advice For Selling Roofs

Old 07-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #1

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Advice For Selling Roofs

roof jobs used to just come along and no sale skills needed. Now that money is getting tighter for people around here it's getting harder and harder to land the jobs. Every job i have done i have left with the home owner pleased with the work. Now when i get a call to give an estimate it seems wheather we are in the middle or low on price its getting hard to close the deal. I am a good hard worker just not a salesman i guess! I go measure the roof and then go home and figure everything out and then type up an estimate proposal form and put it in a folder with a brochure from the shingle manufacturer and a business card and personally drop the folder off with the home owner case they have any questions. Anyone have any suggestions on closing the sale when you go to give an estimate? Different things to say or sell to make our company stand out from the next?Thanks for any advice much appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor

Re: Advice For Selling Roofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES Constructio View Post
roof jobs used to just come along and no sale skills needed. Now that money is getting tighter for people around here it's getting harder and harder to land the jobs. Every job i have done i have left with the home owner pleased with the work. Now when i get a call to give an estimate it seems wheather we are in the middle or low on price its getting hard to close the deal. I am a good hard worker just not a salesman i guess! I go measure the roof and then go home and figure everything out and then type up an estimate proposal form and put it in a folder with a brochure from the shingle manufacturer and a business card and personally drop the folder off with the home owner case they have any questions. Anyone have any suggestions on closing the sale when you go to give an estimate? Different things to say or sell to make our company stand out from the next?Thanks for any advice much appreciated.
Here is one that works for us beleave it or not.

Charge more for your estimates.

Give a credit on the contract for the estimate if they use you.

Finance.

Now, I know a bunch of you are going to think I am full of it.

To you I say, "how does the Home Depot and Lowes do it"?

You know there prices are much higher than yours.

How come it can work for them and not you?

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

ses, you sound like the kind of guy i would like to hire. be confident, polite, sincere, friendly, and proffesional, these qualities sell work....

Old 07-18-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Peon

Trade: Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayan Gonzalez View Post
Finance.

Now, I know a bunch of you are going to think I am full of it.

To you I say, "how does the Home Depot and Lowes do it"?

You know there prices are much higher than yours.

How come it can work for them and not you?
Good advice.

Ford Credit, GMAC, CITI, GE Capital, and many others....all have programs that allow you to hand an info card to the customer that has a number they can call and get approved, usually within about 15 minutes while you wait. They can do it in private on the phone and never worry about you getting their info. They enjoy the privacy.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

You sound like you are doing some of the very basics correctly and have the right attitude and passion for the work done properly.

You said that you deliver the estimate in case they have any questions.

Well, do you actually set up an appointment and go into the minute details as to why your work is better than the other guys?

Why is your company different and why does that make a difference?

What benefit will they derive from using your company rather than someone elses?

Do you bring samples of the various items that you install?

Create a Demonstration kit.

Bring the product that you use and a competing product that you dislike. Show the advantages of yours and the pitfalls of the inferior product.

As one of my examples, I use the Shingle Vent II Ridge Vent exclusively. I also bring in a sample of the cobra roll vent or the Benjamin Opydyke roll Vent to compare them to each other.

Do you use 15# felt, 30# felt or synthetic felt? Why? Demonstrate uyour reasons why one is better than the other. Get some documentation from internet sources to back up your opinion/

Do you clean up the job?

Do you use a magnetic sweeper to pick up the nails?

Do you tarp the bushes with a breathable porous tarp?

Do you tarp up the roof at night or leave the felt paper or decking exposed?

Let them touch and feel the products.

Do you use Gutter Apron Drip Edge and T-Style ODE metal edging for the rake edges? Bring samples for them to see.

Do you take photos of your jobs?

Create a photo album of your best and most intensive jobs and also of the most common mundane simple jobs.

Show problems inherent to inadequate ventilation. Is the decking buckling and delaminating? Have you ever replaced deck sheathing with mold on the bottom side?

Do you take inspection photos when you go out to measure the job? If not, get a digital camera and do so, so that you are talking about the problems on their own roof and home and how your provided solutions wil benefit them.

And, charge more. Yes, that elevates your status as the contractor to be desired to hopefully be afforded the project.

Lots more, but that is a good start.

Ed
Old 07-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #6

Trade: contractor

Thanks guys that was exactly what i was looking for. I have actually thought about financing at least the labor part of the roof. I can afford to do this but what happens when someone doesn't pay? Then i have to go about an expensive legal battle? Any one provide financing and have more thoughts on this. Thanks again for your advice. I do put together a good presentation but i'm just not a salesman!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #7

Trade: Roofing and PV Solar
Rewards Points: 10

Ed the Roofer...knows his stuff. I'm impressed. If you're putting together a good presentation, then you ARE a good salesman!

Sounds like you're on the right track. Personally going back to hand off the folder and bid is good. Anytime I don't close a sale, I try....I don't always do it right, I try to do what you do, set a follow up appointment.I

MUST: When you go back, you want to plan the date so that the owner has received most if not all other bids. It's easier to close the sale, if owner's last bid she is waiting on is mine.

I ALWAYS set my inital appointment a week or even more out. When owner objects, I say something like "We have many clients eagerly awaiting to own their new roof, and our services thank goodness are in high demand, which speaks highly of our company's reputation...but yes...it does mean I can't come out to your home tomorrow, sorry....you will be excited though that at our appointment you'll have your paperwork and proposal in hand at the end....and in meantime, you'll receive in the mail in a few days a packet introduing our company, giveing you a list of homes in the neighborhood we've done, roofing pics..."

I handle putting together a presentation packet, our company folder with refs, insurance certs, brochures, everything, and letter thanking lead for interest in our company and confirming the appointment date on a letter. When I get to the home, they are already familiar with me and my company.

This is what I've done recently and it excites me and my clients. My clients since I started this two months ago actually say to me, "Wow, Mike I'm impressed". ...and my 'lay me down' closure rate has gone up:
My proposals are done now in the home on first visit.

I take photos of existing roof. Measure, take back down to truck. I've already pre-loaded proposal into my lap top, revise for owner's house measurments...upload photos. Present to client at kitchen table. Take my portable printer. Print bids, slide one copy to husband, slide one copy to wife....and present, then close.

Look up tomhopkins.com. Purchase his CD's and all books. The guy is genius.

Best technique I just learned from a great salesman.....this is great. I used it and it worked..I couldn't believe it but it makes so much sense.....Clients say, "Thanks Mike, let us think about it a bit"...instead of giving up and saying something like, "No problem, get back to me or I'll call you in a few days"....Say, "Of course, an investment this large and detailed, let me excuse myself so you two can talk, that will give me time to get my ladder down and back on the truck and check my voice mail...(and if you can immediately squeeze in a question) like what time do you have? So once you excuse yourself, they don't say, "Oh, we planned to think it over this weekend, Mike.."...they are obligated to answer your question with whatevre time it is, and then you reply 'Thanks" and get out quick. Now....the client had planned to sleep on it naturally, but when I went out to my truck, the clients talked it over, I went back in and they had closed themselves while I was putting my ladder back up. Beautiful.

Providing finance, whatever you can do for financing yes do it. I love GAF's Master Elite 6 months financing option. 25% of my customers use it, it gives me a great advantage and helps my client's tremendously. With the GAF program you don't have to worry about getting paid. At end of job, we invoice the bank, they issue a joint check to client/us, clients endorses check over to us...(We get paid)...then client has 6 months to a year no interest same as cash financing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Mull For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-26-2016)
Old 07-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Roofer
Rewards Points: 150

A wise man by the name of Tom Hays (used to post here), knows a thing or two about selling. He offered some advice to those less experienced. It consisted of 6 steps:
1) sell yourself (2-5 minutes).
2) sell your company
3) sell the problem
4) sell the solution
5) sell the product
6) Ask for the order.

#1 is mostly non-verbal. Show up on time, be presentable, have a clean vehicle, ask about their wants, needs, objectives. Does the customer trust you to listen to his/her needs and wants? Will they open up to you?

#2 is about your credentials, experience, ability and reliability. Cover the basics (license, insurance, etc.), and move on to things that distinguish your company from all the rest. Bring out your case studies on how you solved difficult problems for their neighbours.

#3 is about identifying the customer's concerns, seeing the situation for yourself, and working to make sure your customer is seeing what you are seeing. You may know what the problem is, but they may have an entirely different view of the situation.

#4 is about winning your customer's trust that YOU understand what needs to be done and how. How will YOU solve the problem(s) and how will that be different from everybody else? Why is that important to your customer?

#5 is about the materials you will select to achieve the solution. Why is product A better than product B? Is the additional cost worth it in their situation? If the competition is showing product C, how will your recommended choice be better for the customer?

#6 By this time, they love you, they trust your company to do a good job, they totally understand what the issues are, they love your solution, and they love the products you'll be using. Ask for the order so that you can deliver on the expectations you've aroused. Spending money is an emotional decision, and you've got to act when the emotion is high and in your favor.

Ed has given you some excellent advice and has shown his experience and knowledge in his reply.

Put yourself in the position of being the buyer of something that you know little about. What do you look for from a salesperson to help you make a decision? What gets you excited? What turns you off? Use your own experience (as a buyer) to see what you need to do to sell to your customers.
The Following User Says Thank You to pgriz For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-26-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 6
Lightbulb

Granted, everyone posted some pretty good ideas of how to sell roofing, and yes, you have the whole way of meeting with the client and offering good customer service right! definitely meet with them face to face...

The only problem is that everyone agrees with you which indicates that most roofers are doing this.

What shows that you stand out? what shows that you are better or different?

I love the idea of offering financing, but that probably only helps for the clients who need it but are they your target market?

What I find help convince the client that you are better is acting like you are better... comparing one product to another only proves that you think a certain product is better. The client then picks the roofer they like best and asks them to install the product you've worked so hard to prove is best. Now you are upselling for your competition!

so then what makes the client think that you honestly believe you provide a better service?

the break through for me was this:

Become a certified installer for all the products you love!

skylights,
membranes,
shingles... everything

if the manufacturers off extended warranty, sell those to your client (make it mandatory as a statement of quality)

Increase your own labor warranty to surpass that of the competition, this indicates that you personally think you do a good job!

Increase your price, do you think that your job is worth more?

Go over the top with client services and charge over the top for it!
people love to pay for a good service!

Last but not least, Include extra amounts for things you foresee to be issues, and then credit the client if there is no issues!
this will get them to go nuts about your service, writing reviews and referring you to the whole planet. (I learnt this from my dentist, gave me a 70$ credit because it was easier to pull my tooth than he had estimated! I loved it

I Love business, and I've applied all these things to my own.

The result:

I am almost always the most expensive and I ALWAYS have TOO much work.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Know it all
Rewards Points: 2,054

8 Year old thread.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #11

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 40

THE 10X RULE _GRANT CARDONE
"Who's got my money"
Old 10-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 8

More calls = More Money. Can't keep waiting for the phone to ring. Gotta get out there and close those estimates. Good Referrals and Good Reviews will get the close everytime! If someone refers you to someone else. They'll take you over a cheaper guy cause the trust is already there. Haunt your customers for online reviews. If you dont have a system get one in place. Alot of Business comes from online now. No more, Phone book. Gotta get in their google search. Need an SEO / Website person? Use mine. She's great Laurie at CRUSH SEO in Miami she does businesses all over the country. Gets my phone ringing and my reviews are great!
Miami Roofing
The Following User Says Thank You to HialeahRoofing For This Useful Post:
Beyette Roofing (10-29-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 5,124

Success selling is a lot like success with women. They can feel when you need it and it ruins everything. When you get swamped and the attitude switches everything turns around. You don't want to be cocky, but you want your customers to know you are busy and they are lucky to land you.

I would also change the delivery method a bit. I would not include literature from the single manufacturer. That inviting them to second guess you. Include the brand you use in your proposal and let it end there unless someone needs more hand holding to accept a brand.

I email proposals and send two signed copies in the mail. It gets me in front of them twice with out bothering them. Some people call to accept, some people email, and others send a copy back in the mail with a check. Regardless, I am done pursuing them after I have mailed the paper work.

I also tell people how far out I am based on when paper work is signed. Otherwise people get it in their head that you are 4 weeks out from when you said you were 4 weeks out. That isn't the case. 4 Weeks from them taking action. It puts getting work done on them not you.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
Beyette Roofing (10-29-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 05:43 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,124

You will also raise your price when you get busy. That will land more jobs for you. A lot of people are scared of low prices, but people get sucked into bidding that way when they need to land jobs.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
Beyette Roofing (10-29-2016), MSgutter (07-08-2017)