Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs - Page 2 - Framing - Contractor Talk

Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Member
 
bluehomes's Avatar
 
Trade: homebuilder/framer
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: west Wa
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Thanks guys, I knew you'd come through!
I'll let you know how it all turns out
bluehomes is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
The Duke
 
Kent Whitten's Avatar
 
Trade: Cabinet Maker
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 14,746
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes771 View Post
Why would you install parallel to studs anyway?
Did you read anything above? For shear, on an 8' wall, you need continuous perimeter nailing. Horizontal has the 4' break mid stud, so vertical in this scenario is more structurally sound.

The strength axis only means that it is going to SPAN over the studding more rigidly. That's why one doesn't lay sheets parallel on floors and roofs. Walls you do not have a dead load, so you are fine. It does have a tendency to buckle more.

It doesn't mean that it is stronger in that direction. It is such a negligible difference. A piece of ply is the same strength whether vertically or horizontally. It's what you do with it once it is up that determines how it is going to perform.

Tall walls, it's a tossup, but I would rather block one edge than two.
__________________
If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place ~Lao Tzu

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Kent Whitten is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
CHRenewal (09-05-2012), overanalyze (09-05-2012), wallmaxx (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
Member
 
bluehomes's Avatar
 
Trade: homebuilder/framer
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: west Wa
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes771 View Post
I'm from Alberta. All my sheets have strength axis stamped horizontally.

Why would you install parallel to studs anyway?

Isn't it easier when going up over 8ft to just run horizontally and start 4ft from the bottom up? That way none of your joints line up and it looks much cleaner.
Looking cleaner is a matter of opinion, if your sheets run up the entire perimiter is nailed off; laid horizontally you have a joint that runs the entire length of the wall that is only nailed every 16" unless you block.
bluehomes is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to bluehomes For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (09-05-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
Member
 
bluehomes's Avatar
 
Trade: homebuilder/framer
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: west Wa
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Whitten View Post
Did you read anything above? For shear, on an 8' wall, you need continuous perimeter nailing. Horizontal has the 4' break mid stud, so vertical in this scenario is more structurally sound.

The strength axis only means that it is going to SPAN over the studding more rigidly. That's why one doesn't lay sheets parallel on floors and roofs. Walls you do not have a dead load, so you are fine. It does have a tendency to buckle more.

It doesn't mean that it is stronger in that direction. It is such a negligible difference. A piece of ply is the same strength whether vertically or horizontally. It's what you do with it once it is up that determines how it is going to perform.

Tall walls, it's a tossup, but I would rather block one edge than two.
Whoops, slow typer
bluehomes is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
The Duke
 
Kent Whitten's Avatar
 
Trade: Cabinet Maker
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 14,746
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehomes

Whoops, slow typer
You calling me a slow typer?
__________________
If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place ~Lao Tzu

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Kent Whitten is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Kent Whitten For This Useful Post:
CanningCustom (09-09-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Member
 
bluehomes's Avatar
 
Trade: homebuilder/framer
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: west Wa
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Whitten View Post
You calling me a slow typer?
Easy Duke, you beat me to the draw
bluehomes is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott78 View Post
There was a brand of osb that we used here in PEI that had the strength axis stamped on it. Cross ways to studs with joints broken. I can't remember the name of the osb manufacturer!
Strength axis only comes into play when plywood is DEFLECTED as in roof sheathing under load. NO ONE installs roof plywood parallel to the rafters for example.

But wall sheathing is all about SHEAR and that's why the nail count/pattern/type is calc'd by an engineer. The wall sheathing never deflects so there is NO requirement to run it horizontally.

I ran into a few "know-it-all" Canucks in BC who tried to explain how wrong I was to install wall sheathing vertically. (they had no clue what the meaning shear meant.)

Then after losing the argument, they would pull out some ???2000 building code requirement to allow air into all sheathed cavities so they said a 3/4" "air gap" was required between the first horizontal row and the next (on a typ. 8' wall)

So they, in effect, are NOT creating a solid nailing surface for REQUIRED shear panel nailing. And yes, all sheathing is for SHEAR.....6/12 pattern is the baseline and it goes up from there.

The guy is not knowledgeable in the area of discussion and needs some friendly educating.

Last edited by wallmaxx; 09-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
Pro
 
JT Wood's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calgary Ab Canada
Posts: 3,587
Rewards Points: 2,560

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


I'm not disagreeing with anyone,

But we have over 4 million in this province with massive residential construction.

There must be a reason why absolutely everyone does it the same way.

Evidenced by the inspector even failing the work
__________________
Airdrie AB Renovation Contractor | Kitchen Renovations | Basement Developments | Facebook
JT Wood Construction Serves Airdrie, Cochrane, Olds, Mountainview, Rockyview and Crossfield, Alberta.
JT Wood is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


It shows how so many people do something because......its the way they were taught, or the way they've been doing it or whatever..............instead of actually learning what they are actually doing.

If you build two identical walls and sheathe one vertically (all seams/edges nailed 6" o.c.) and one horizontally with no blocking for panel edge nailing in between the studs, under a seismic+load event, the horizontally sheathed wall will be less rigid in the plane of the wall because the plywood will be able to deflect in each stud bay along the un-nailed seam.

If you don't nail every edge of the sheet of plywood into wall framing, you are creating a less-shear capable wall panel. Fact.
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Look on page 3. The wall sheathing in the picture is all vertically installed.
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #31
Pro
 
JT Wood's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calgary Ab Canada
Posts: 3,587
Rewards Points: 2,560

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


90% of new homes here have 9' walls as well.

I understand 9' osb is available but I have never seen it anywhere


I always lap the sheathing from the upper floor walls past the floor system onto the walls on the main floor walls. Thats got to be better than a hinge joint.


I don't really have a strong opinion either way. But when literally everyone around, including the inspector expects it one way who wants to have that fight.


We live in tornado country, and it's not like houses are falling down


But what do I know, I like sidewinders
__________________
Airdrie AB Renovation Contractor | Kitchen Renovations | Basement Developments | Facebook
JT Wood Construction Serves Airdrie, Cochrane, Olds, Mountainview, Rockyview and Crossfield, Alberta.
JT Wood is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JT Wood For This Useful Post:
CanningCustom (09-09-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #32
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Page 19

Support all panel edges means to install 2x or greater framing members into the wall so that the plywood can nailed on all edges. Blocking.
Attached Thumbnails
Wall sheathing parallel to wall studs-screen-shot-2012-09-05-2.25.39-pm.png  
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #33
Registered User
 
stokes771's Avatar
 
Trade: Framing
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


I'm not saying running sheets parallel is wrong or you can't do it. I just see no benefit in doing it unless the wall you are framing is actually a shear wall, and you are required to block every seam.

I've done quite a few shear walls and never once had to actually block and nail the seams. Every one of them, the engineer either asked for thicker sheeting or more/stronger nails.

When I frame houses, I run my sheets right from the mudsill to the top of the last wall. Running 4' sheets the whole way up with one rip at the top. Unless you start with a cut to get below your bottom plate of your first wall, and then run 8' up from there, none of your seams are going to land on your top plate anyways. Not to mention 9' walls, which is basically every house I have framed in the last 5 years.
stokes771 is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #34
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Wood View Post
90% of new homes here have 9' walls as well.

I understand 9' osb is available but I have never seen it anywhere


I always lap the sheathing from the upper floor walls past the floor system onto the walls on the main floor walls. Thats got to be better than a hinge joint.


I don't really have a strong opinion either way. But when literally everyone around, including the inspector expects it one way who wants to have that fight.


We live in tornado country, and it's not like houses are falling down


But what do I know, I like sidewinders
Wormdrives have their place, but for rafter cutting, I like light. Makita MG with the all time LED is my current fave. But I don't cut for a living anymore.

On 9' walls, I would order 9' ply or I'd be installing a row of blocking at 8' or 1'.
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #35
Registered User
 
stokes771's Avatar
 
Trade: Framing
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx

Wormdrives have their place, but for rafter cutting, I like light. Makita MG with the all time LED is my current fave. But I don't cut for a living anymore.

On 9' walls, I would order 9' ply or I'd be installing a row of blocking at 8' or 1'.
And then in a 2 storey you would put a rip in to sheet the floor system and sheet it back up the same way? From bottom to top plate?
stokes771 is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #36
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes771 View Post
I'm not saying running sheets parallel is wrong or you can't do it. I just see no benefit in doing it unless the wall you are framing is actually a shear wall, and you are required to block every seam.

I've done quite a few shear walls and never once had to actually block and nail the seams. Every one of them, the engineer either asked for thicker sheeting or more/stronger nails.

When I frame houses, I run my sheets right from the mudsill to the top of the last wall. Running 4' sheets the whole way up with one rip at the top. Unless you start with a cut to get below your bottom plate of your first wall, and then run 8' up from there, none of your seams are going to land on your top plate anyways. Not to mention 9' walls, which is basically every house I have framed in the last 5 years.
Then they weren't shear walls. A shear wall is a defined specific component of a house and is inspected. In WA state, not blocking and nailing according to the specified Shear Wall schedule was an instant red tag FAIL.
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
The Duke
 
Kent Whitten's Avatar
 
Trade: Cabinet Maker
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 14,746
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Well, there's a perfectly good statement. Why do you suppose that they make 9' osb?
__________________
If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place ~Lao Tzu

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Kent Whitten is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #38
Registered User
 
stokes771's Avatar
 
Trade: Framing
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx

Then they weren't shear walls. A shear wall is a defined specific component of a house and is inspected. In WA state, not blocking and nailing according to the specified Shear Wall schedule was an instant red tag FAIL.
Well you can call and tell the engineer he engineered them wrong then.
stokes771 is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #39
CAD Services
 
wallmaxx's Avatar
 
Trade: So done with this place...
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,678
Rewards Points: 144

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes771 View Post
And then in a 2 storey you would put a rip in to sheet the floor system and sheet it back up the same way? From bottom to top plate?
Your first and second floor must have been mechanically attached by metal then? We often used Simpson strapping in addition to plywood to connect the two floors.

If wall panels were sent, then it was a Simpson-fest only.

If the walls were stick framed, we could frame two of more stories and then sheathe continuously upward. That would tie the first and second floors together.

In Ocean Shores we were faced with a 120 MPH wind load code plus a west coast seismic zone. It was metal and ply in some Frankensteinian compilation.
wallmaxx is offline  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #40
Pro
 
JT Wood's Avatar
 
Trade: carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Calgary Ab Canada
Posts: 3,587
Rewards Points: 2,560

Re: Wall Sheathing Parallel To Wall Studs


Framers here don't order material, at least not when framing for builders.


Honestly though, I would bet it would take weeks to get 9' osb.

I've never seen it anywhere.
I used to do courier work for lumber yards, and they definitely don't stock it

Advertisement

__________________
Airdrie AB Renovation Contractor | Kitchen Renovations | Basement Developments | Facebook
JT Wood Construction Serves Airdrie, Cochrane, Olds, Mountainview, Rockyview and Crossfield, Alberta.
JT Wood is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bathroom Design Help - dark floor and wall tile the same? sbcontracting Architecture & Design 23 10-02-2013 12:14 PM
Marble Wall / Floor Grout Maintenance ? We Fix Houses Tiling 4 08-14-2012 12:00 PM
Hanging Cabinets with metal studs mike d. Carpentry 44 06-24-2012 01:00 PM
Gutter Hangers in Stucco Wall go_hercules Construction 8 05-23-2012 12:37 AM
dry wall with metal studs nelzar13 Drywall 7 02-20-2008 03:53 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?