Truss Spreader Bar & Jib For JCB Telehandler - Framing - Contractor Talk

Truss Spreader Bar & Jib For JCB Telehandler

Old 11-03-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: GC/Carpentry
Rewards Points: 107

Truss Spreader Bar & Jib For JCB Telehandler

Where is the best source to get a truss jib and spreader bar? We got a 506 machine back in the spring and I think it would be really helpful for setting trusses and roof beams and things like that. Any ideas? What do I need to look for on them? Anything you have found helpful on this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Re: Truss Spreader Bar & Jib For JCB Telehandler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejorgenson View Post
Where is the best source to get a truss jib and spreader bar? We got a 506 machine back in the spring and I think it would be really helpful for setting trusses and roof beams and things like that. Any ideas? What do I need to look for on them? Anything you have found helpful on this?
I answered this earlier today, but apparently it never made it?

It was a longer more eloquent post, but this one will have to do for now.

I had a 506B for a couple years and overall it was a good machine. Other than a few electrical gremlins at the start and a general feeling that the hydraulic system was slightly underpowered, it never caused issues for me. the Perkins liked to be plugged in when it got to freezing temps too.

Anyway, I've had 3 different truss jibs over the last 7 yrs.

2 of them I had made from a local welder. My opinion is, if you are able to use a "homemade" (non certified) attachment you will likely get it for less cost and it will likely be stronger too.

However, the safety nazis in your region may not allow you to do that.
If you do decide to get a local guy to fab one up, I can share some different designs for him to copy if you like. Last I checked it was $1000 cheaper to get one made.

As far as the spreader bar, I've never used one or really ever wanted one. So I can't help there.

One thing for sure, a truss jib makes it much safer and easier to place material on a framing site. you have an extra pivoting location, and en extra 12-15' of reach.
Attached Thumbnails
Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-garage-walls.jpg   Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-gable-end.jpg   Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-factory-jib.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JT Wood For This Useful Post:
Jaws (11-07-2016), Jonbuild (11-06-2016), Sir Mixalot (11-06-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Log home builder
Rewards Points: 492

I'm also in search of a spreader bar and ideas, so I will spend some time this winter to design something,

I do a lot of log work, and it's a little tricky to find the center weight of a log

So I've decided I need something attached to the fork mast, and then a hook on each end to hang the log grables, here is the tricky situation, I need it to swivel so if I am going in on an angle....

I will be talking to my welder, hopefully we can come up with something!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

i have a 22" lvl that is 20 ft long that we use for a spreader.
check with a welding shop in your area for a jib or look on machinery trader on line.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:35 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

there is a guy out of omaha that makes a lot of jib and cages
Old 07-26-2017, 11:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Log home builder
Rewards Points: 492

Sorry to wake up an old thread, but just want to show off my new toy I got to use this week!! 😃

Spreader bar with log tongues,
Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1501128196.815017.jpg

Using just one tongue in center hole
Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1501128328.763288.jpg

Set up to scribe
Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1501128695.548859.jpg

Easy pivot for transport to house
Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1501128851.267293.jpg

Hoisted up to house to scribe bottom
Truss Spreader Bar & Jib for JCB Telehandler-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1501129059.685965.jpg

This has made this job much safer, prior to this I'd have 8' strap with tongues, which put the forks so much higher, plus I had to pick it up to find center weight,

This also can be used as a jib, I did not use it as one yet, but it can be positioned in straight out position, and the 2x6 slid to one side.

I would like to however come up with a way to move it left to right with a remote control, (head scratcher) I'm think some sort chain drive motor with forward and reverse. 🤔 well!! time to get my thinking hat!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 36

I had a former employee who had extensive experience as a welder. He welded me up two jibs, one that we still have. He also make up a spreader bar from some angle iron. We rarely set trusses with the Lull, as it is slower than a crane and is harder to rotate them than with the crane. We will occasionally set a big girder or two, but generally will call a crane for a big set.

Easy Gibson
Old 07-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #8
Gen. Contractor

Trade: Residential Light commercial
Rewards Points: 2,610

I made a spreader bar for setting multiple trusses out of a 10' piece of 4" steel tube. I welded about 2' of chain every 24" Then i welded chain hooks to the bar at the same locations and it works good- i can put up 5 trusses at once.
overanalyze (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #9
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,132

Nate! How are ya? Hope all is going well for you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2017, 10:59 PM   #10
Gen. Contractor

Trade: Residential Light commercial
Rewards Points: 2,610

Whats up
Man things are going good. Things have taken off like a rocket. 11 homes in production right now, 4 more in the works, cant find any decent help other than crack heads that rob my trailer on the weekends or college kids that want lots of $ but dont want to work Same as everybody i think
Ive been gone awhile- lots of new faces!

Advertisement

overanalyze (07-27-2017)