Tried Our First Build And Crane Today - Framing - Contractor Talk

Tried Our First Build And Crane Today

Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Jeff

Trade: master turd burglar
Rewards Points: 502

Tried Our First Build And Crane Today

Had a crane coming to set some 26' attic trusses today. Coulda set them by hand but eh it was a fairly steep pitch and to be honest i hate setting trusses by hand. So we decided to sheath the gable and build the overhangs. Drop gables are always a pita and with an 18" OH and 8/12 pitch figured wth might as well build it all on the ground and crane it up.

I def think it saved a fair amount of time, we had to pay min 4 hours for the crane so we might as well have used it. Took us a little over an hour to brace and set them. Got it sheathed and felt on by 3 so got an early day. If WNY ends up in this thread he might recognize the crane outfit, they have done a fair amount of work up his way. I'm sure there was alot we coulda done different but we got done what we wanted and the crane guy was happy with how we had it set up for him so its all good.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,560

Re: Tried Our First Build And Crane Today

That's a living space above?

Have you considered assembling the trusses on the ground as well?

(maybe you did)
looks good. you many never be able to go back

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/wh...omorrow-55807/

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/wh...art-2-a-55854/

Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughjazz View Post
That's a living space above?

Have you considered assembling the trusses on the ground as well?

(maybe you did)
looks good. you many never be able to go back

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/wh...omorrow-55807/

http://www.contractortalk.com/f14/wh...art-2-a-55854/
Its just storage space, i think it was a little over 6' to the flat spot. I want to assemble on the ground at some point but figured it was best to get our feet wet with something simple. At some point im gonna try it. I was kind of surprised the crane operator had never seen anything like it, hes like damn thats good thinking. Biggest problem we have is nothing is flat anywhere we work so it would take a bit of layout work to get a platform to work off of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Pro

One way to do it, is to nail on the fascia on the tails first. Then set them down on the ground.

One of the best reasons imo to put up big sections, is you can get the fascia attached at ground level.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #5
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughjazz View Post
One way to do it, is to nail on the fascia on the tails first. Then set them down on the ground.

One of the best reasons imo to put up big sections, is you can get the fascia attached at ground level.

Now this is what i was thinking and im sure i'm taking it to far. Could i build a get an elevated frame built, leave double plate off the wall and use that as my truss template. Square it up on the frame, do layout, nail trusses to this. Fascia, sheath, crane it up and nail the double plate to the top plate tying it all together. I dunno im prolly way off base but its a thought i had.

I def like to think outside the box and you guys all add fuel to the fire. Ever since the first time i saw the "what im doin tomorrow" thread this thought has been lingering back there like a slow growing tumor. Consuming what was left of my sannity.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

I think it would be hard to do on a single plate. Why not reduce the stud ht by 1 1/2" and build it on two plates? This way you could overlap them and keep it straighter. Could just run some screws from underneath when you set it on the rest of the wall. biggest problem will be that it will want to sway around a bit.

Easy Gibson
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Geometrist

Gotta be careful that you don't exceed your crane limits. We have moved an entire garage one time with a crane. Took some careful rigging and had to set it down, move the crane, pick it up again and set it on new foundation. We have used cranes probably hundreds of times and by now I have a pretty good feel for what he can reach and how much he can lift. When in doubt, we have left a 4th ply off of a girder and set it up with another lift rather than nail all four together and find that he can't extend that far with that kind of load. Our crane minimum here is 1 hour plus one hour drive time. Amazing how much you can do in 1 hour with a crane if you are set up properly and well prepared.

Easy Gibson
Old 09-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Jeff

Oh def if its something that ever happened we'd consult with and have a site walk through with the crane operator to understand any limitations. The crane we had today was small, 12 ton max with damn near straight boom. This was probably the 6th time we've had a crane so we just do as they wish.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

Looks like a good day

Just curious, we usually block the lookouts... maybe its a regional thing..

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell

Last edited by TimelessQuality; 09-07-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Pro

I think you will have problems with the tails doing it that way. (they will hit the ground before the bottom chord will sit on the plate(s).

what I have done in the past, is use a couple of tgi joists or 2x10's

I braced them to stand up. And made them parallel and square.

I layed out the spacing and tacked them to the joist. That worked well

You just have to make sure the trusses are in line perfectly before you brace them. I used a string to verify the heels were perfect.

Or like I said you could put the fascia on each side, and install the ridge blocks at the peak, then a temporary brace so it will stand on it's own.
The downside of this way is you have to set each truss when it's on the wall, and all the bracing is still not installed. But at least fascia is on.

What would be perfect is a 16' x 30' flatdeck lowboy trailer.

*edit* I noticed you said elevated platform. That may work, but it may take more time than it's worth. Would be awesome though,

*further edit* If you do try it one day take lot's of pics!

Last edited by JT Wood; 09-07-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Geometrist

I honestly have never done a whole set like that all at once. We have done dormers, hip ends, gables, cupolas, etc. I have a 5600 sq ft barn to start on Monday that will require us to have the crane there at least twice. I will probably boom some ply up onto the roof for the first time ever. There will be 300 sheets of 3/4 ply on that sucker and some of the sections are up pretty high.

Easy Gibson
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #12
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

On Habitat for Humanity builds in Calgary, Alta, the roof gets built complete on the ground (temporary beams are leveled and squared) and craned in.
Leave off a few pieces of sheathing to run the rigging down to the bottom chords.

On Farm/Commercial buildings, I have built the entire roof on the grade beam, cut it into pieces and craned them off the grade beam, then build the walls and crane them back onto the wall plates. Only problem would be that you need the crane twice.

Wish I had some pictures...
Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 998

Not uncommon to have a crane on site every other day for me. Basement steel, high wall, garage walls and second floor steel. If possible I have floor ply set up at the same time. Trusses are craned individually and roof sheeting set on the second floor in 2 rooms usually, one front one back.
Hell today I had 5 lifts of lumber. 3 studs and 2 of plate craned in for 50bucks. Best money i'll ever spend. Gotta love when they are already on site.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #14

Trade: Framing siding and foundations
Rewards Points: 25

Looks good, I used a crane to spread those trusses, I just did it when the trusses were delivered. I don't know about building a roof on the ground, seems too risky especially if you have a couple of hips and/or valleys.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Holier Than Thou GC Storm Chaser
Rewards Points: 500

JKfox, That will save you a ton of time and a lot of back breaking work! It makes the job fun...sometimes.

I have a crane very similar to that back in MI. I don't use it anymore and I'd let it go for scrap value...4k. It's been sitting for a couple years but I know it would run like new...the rebuilt motor (gas) probably doesn't have 1000 hours on it.

A couple tips.....we learned to set a few trusses first, then go back and set the gable. It was just easier to get the temp bracing done.

We also learned to keep the view lines open...setting front to back as you have done. Normally, we'd have the crane set up on the side though, when possible.

The other tip...on that set up, with the dropped gable, we would have set the first truss and the gable as one unit. It would have sped up the process in two ways: the framing of the rake assembly would have been faster and the setting of the combined assembly would have been faster too because it would set down and stand by itself.

Is there a section in this site to sell equipment. I might post the boom truck there. It's a good piece of equipment...there just isn't any need for it anymore back there in MI.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Holier Than Thou GC Storm Chaser
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkfox624 View Post
Now this is what i was thinking and im sure i'm taking it to far. Could i build a get an elevated frame built, leave double plate off the wall and use that as my truss template. Square it up on the frame, do layout, nail trusses to this. Fascia, sheath, crane it up and nail the double plate to the top plate tying it all together. I dunno im prolly way off base but its a thought i had.

I def like to think outside the box and you guys all add fuel to the fire. Ever since the first time i saw the "what im doin tomorrow" thread this thought has been lingering back there like a slow growing tumor. Consuming what was left of my sannity.
Thimking outside of the box is a good thing.

We used cranes and equipment (Skytrak) for about a decade before I retired. We tried every imaginable idea.

However, we never bothered to try presetting all the trusses down on the ground. The reason is this: it would take too much time to set up the temporary base and the time savings were nullified. The only other advantage was safety....if you consider setting trusses up on the walls dangerous. We didn't think it was dangerous and I never had anyone fall off or get hurt from setting trusses on the walls with a crane.

With that said, I do remember a feller from PA who showed us pics of how he would frame the deck and then assemble the roof system on the deck. He'd sheath the entire roof, then hire a crane to lift it off and set it aside. They'd frame the walls and then call the crane back to set the roof. It worked for him but I don't know that it would be cost effective because the crane would have to be a pretty hefty crane...with big minimum fees.

We tried every system for setting trusses and we settled on sending two at a time. Normally, we'd have two guys catching/setting the trusses and the crane would just drop and go. It was constantly moving. We'd set that garage in 15 minutes, 20 including the gables with three guys and the crane operator which was usually me.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
Geometrist

Our cranes have a spreader bar that sets three trusses at a time. Using a standard 8' precut works perfectly as it catches all three without getting in the way of the next lift. Usually on step down hips we use a double chain and set two at a time. Whenever we set tall gables, we often use the short cable through a hole near the top. Most times the crane operator can unhook the cable without us climbing up the truss.

Easy Gibson
Old 09-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimAKAblue View Post
JKfox, That will save you a ton of time and a lot of back breaking work! It makes the job fun...sometimes.

I have a crane very similar to that back in MI. I don't use it anymore and I'd let it go for scrap value...4k. It's been sitting for a couple years but I know it would run like new...the rebuilt motor (gas) probably doesn't have 1000 hours on it.

A couple tips.....we learned to set a few trusses first, then go back and set the gable. It was just easier to get the temp bracing done.

We also learned to keep the view lines open...setting front to back as you have done. Normally, we'd have the crane set up on the side though, when possible.

The other tip...on that set up, with the dropped gable, we would have set the first truss and the gable as one unit. It would have sped up the process in two ways: the framing of the rake assembly would have been faster and the setting of the combined assembly would have been faster too because it would set down and stand by itself.

Is there a section in this site to sell equipment. I might post the boom truck there. It's a good piece of equipment...there just isn't any need for it anymore back there in MI.

Yeah we did build the drop with the first truss, saved a ton of time. This lot is terrible for setup, front was only spot we could get the crane in at. Building is pretty much cut into the treeline.

Advertisement