Senco SN4 - Framing - Contractor Talk

Senco SN4

Old 07-14-2015, 05:51 PM  
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

Senco SN4

Look what I found hidden in my shed, my first framing nail gun. Bought it at a yard sale for $50 probably 20 years ago
Senco SN4-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436914079.631117.jpgSenco SN4-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436914230.324081.jpg

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 09:03 AM  
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,262

Re: Senco SN4

I used that same gun a long time ago. It was so clunky, heavy, and slow. But my boss swore it worked better so I had to use it.

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 AM  
David Festa

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,030

its a heavy gun but it sinks the nails pretty good. the rounded tip was an issue because it would slide down the stud, beats hand nailing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2015, 10:23 AM  
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 874

those old sencos were built to last. Will probably still work after another 20 years in the shed.

The round nose is because these were mainly for factory use, probably as pallet nailers, not really framing nailers. Still have an SN70 in the collection that is similar to this one, but more powerful.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:38 AM  
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 585

I hated that gun. When they 1st came out, I shot a nail into my shin while walking across the floor. What happened fairly often was the wire trip would get bent when letting the gun down to the floor. If it hit a little hard, it would bend the trip wire and easily hang up in the ready to fire mode. Once that happened, just a bump on the trigger would make it fire.

I do know that they fixed the problem later by beefing up the wire somehow.

I much preferred the previous model that was equally powerful, at about 2/3 the weight, but they wore out the bore in the main body casting at the poppet (valving above piston) fairly fast. Once they grooved in, the poppet would hang. There wasn't an easy fix to remedy the miss-fires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (07-15-2015)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: