Question On Code For Framing A Window - Framing - Contractor Talk

Question On Code For Framing A Window

Old 12-18-2015, 07:19 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 390

Question On Code For Framing A Window

I built a new house this year, and on the main floor I framed (what I think is proper) the windows with the jack studs under the header going all the way down to the floor, and the sill plate spaning between. Upstairs, I was in a hurry and not paying attention and I did it the way I was taught, the outside stud going from double top plate to the bottom plate, and the bottom sill plate goes all the way from the outside stud to the other stud, with the kickers filling in under the beam down to the sill plate, and kickers running from the sill plate to the bottom plate. Is this ok, or am I going to have to redo it? pretty hard at this point, maybe there is a work around?
Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,884

Re: Question On Code For Framing A Window

I don't follow how you did the main floor window, but your upstairs one sounds right.

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #3
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Sounds like no cripple under the sill plate. I've run it both ways. King, continuous Jack, then cripple the sill next to the jack or I've King stud, then sandwiched the sill between the Jack.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #4
Pro

I did the downstairs ones correct, according to what I understand is according to code after the change around 2008 or earlier, the upstairs I did the way everyone did 20 years ago. His wondering if I'm mistaken and the old way is still acceptable. Will postpictures later.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 1,156

So you've cut your trimmer/cripple/jack stud holding the header, to let in the lower sill? That would fail here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Framer87 For This Useful Post:
jlhaslip (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #6
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,476

What is the old way and what is the new way. I been doing this almost 30 years and it's been done the same way then and now.

With that being said and you did on one floor one way and on the second floor another way and you come here and ask "right way or wrong way?" It sound like it's done the wrong way on one of the floors and most likely "I was in a hurry and not paying attention and I did it the way I was taught" this was the right way... than again it depends who taught you
Attached Thumbnails
question on code for framing a window-untitled1.jpg  
builditguy (12-19-2015), Calidecks (12-18-2015), fourcornerhome (12-19-2015), jlhaslip (12-18-2015), ScipioAfricanus (12-18-2015), TNTRenovate (12-18-2015), wallmaxx (12-24-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,884

I rather put header tight to top plates and block down to window r/o.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heavy_d For This Useful Post:
muskoka guy (12-19-2015), TNTRenovate (12-18-2015), wallmaxx (12-24-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #8
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 188

The wrong one you did isn't that bad. It's relying on the crush strength of the window sill, but all studs rely on crush strength of the plates. You're reducing the bending strength of the wall by only having one king stud on either side of the window.

If you're not close to the maximum header span for a single jack (trimmer) and single king on each side, I think it's fine.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #9
Pro

I did not do it the way the picture shows above, I ran the sill plate all the way over to the side wall stud. This is the way everyone did it around here until about 10 years ago. If the bending of the wall is the only consideration, I should be able to throw an extra stud in on each side. When I look at advanced framing techniques, they only use one stud with no jack stud supporting the header, instead they rely on a special hanger that ties the header to the lone stud. I called the building inspector, but he was gone, so I'll try again Monday.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,660

I didn't know there was an old way and a new way. I've always done it the same way, which is still code.

Can you post a picture of what you did? I'm sure there will be plenty of input.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
Pro

Rewards Points: 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by abacab View Post
When I look at advanced framing techniques, they only use one stud with no jack stud supporting the header, instead they rely on a special hanger that ties the header to the lone stud.
pictures?

you could be ok with whatever your "old" or "new" method is but i would not hold my breath hoping to pass the "Im adding advanced framing techniques" to the inspector. If one were to start to mixing conventional and advanced framing I could see a red tag and alot of re working your framing.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,434

Well I replace lots of windows with rotten sills. I see king studs as stiffeners for the trimmers, unless the header bracket is used. Saying that the trimmer carries the weight and should maintain a continuous load path. You wouldn't want a supporting member susceptible to poor maintenance of windows and settling on decaying members.

Last edited by Tom M; 12-19-2015 at 09:16 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom M For This Useful Post:
greg24k (12-19-2015), jlhaslip (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
I rather put header tight to top plates and block down to window r/o.
Some framers put them at the top plate height, but when dealing with larger openings on a long and unobstructed wall, best practice to keep the header right above the door or window because you have a much better lateral support and it prevents wall movement each time the door closes, not to mention you want to have a solid surface above the door or window so all kinds of accessories like blinds, etc can be attached without trying to find studs.

Therefore to keep framing uniform, my rule of thumb was always to put headers above the door or window, of course when you dealing with transoms, or other custom window or door configurations, you raise the header up based on the situation.
CENTERLINE MV (12-19-2015), heavy_d (12-21-2015), muskoka guy (12-19-2015), ScipioAfricanus (12-22-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

I prefer putting the headers at the top of the wall. This way if a load point lands on top of the header I don't have to add a bunch of blocking down to the header. Any openings over six feet I will double plate the top and bottom of the opening to stiffen the wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to muskoka guy For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (12-21-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 AM   #15
Pro

I can't insert a picture without a link, so I guess no picture. I think everyone understands how I framed it in now, and the building inspector approved it. I pointed it out to him, and he said it was fine.

P.s. why can't there be a facebook style upload for the forums?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #16
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
Some framers put them at the top plate height, but when dealing with larger openings on a long and unobstructed wall, best practice to keep the header right above the door or window because you have a much better lateral support and it prevents wall movement each time the door closes, not to mention you want to have a solid surface above the door or window so all kinds of accessories like blinds, etc can be attached without trying to find studs.

Therefore to keep framing uniform, my rule of thumb was always to put headers above the door or window, of course when you dealing with transoms, or other custom window or door configurations, you raise the header up based on the situation.
Try to wire a blind when the framer installs a double LVL tight to the top of the window.

I've never seen a header at top plate height but from a wiring standpoint I'd much rather deal with it.
TNTRenovate (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #17
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
Try to wire a blind when the framer installs a double LVL tight to the top of the window.

I've never seen a header at top plate height but from a wiring standpoint I'd much rather deal with it.
Like I said before if there is something needs to be accounted for you make the necessary adjustments and leave the room so blinds can be wired, or anything else for that matter.

Advertisement