Post Framing For A Covered Porch - Framing - Contractor Talk

Post Framing For A Covered Porch

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 18

Post Framing For A Covered Porch

Hi All,

I've been asked to frame a covered porch and am a bit conflicted on how best to frame up the posts/columns that support the deck and roof. This is farmers porch that's about 6' wide (wood framed deck) and overhead roof system attached to the front of a colonial.

My original plan was to use 6"x6" PT columns to support both the deck and roof. These columns would run continuously from the footing to the underside of the header.

However, now the client wants to case the columns using a decorative PVC column wrap. This essentially requires the use of a 4"x4" PT column. So my question is this, would you carry the 4x4 down to the footing, or use a 4x4 above the deck and a 6x6 below the deck? I've seen this done both ways and am interested in getting some opinions on which method is best, and why.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 438

Re: Post Framing For A Covered Porch

If the 4x4 can support the load then you're good to go but you need to know the weights to make that decision. Be aware that 4x4 PT will twist like Chubby Checker on crystal meth so don't put your decorative tight to it or all your joints will be blown within a month(if that).

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (05-22-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 13,116

I would use a regular fir 4x4. I prefer going from footing to header. I think its better construction than sitting a post on a deck surface, joist shrink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Trade: Residential Construction
Rewards Points: 18

Thanks. I should have mentioned the 4x4 wouldn't be PT. Too much warpage. I'll need to run some numbers to see if there's enough capacity for the 4x4 to carry both the roof and floor loads.

Has anyone used these column wraps before? Any suggestions for manufacturers who make a good product at a reasonable price?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: DECK BUILDER. RESIDENTIAL. COMMERCIAL
Rewards Points: 4,608

are you painting

hemp fir i ordered was really clean. the rest was #1 doug fir paint grade. not even a hint of a not. it was so perfect i thought it was fake.

does this help?
http://www.citydecksinc.com/#!sample...lbumphotos0=36
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: home improvements
Rewards Points: 502

They do make column wraps for 6x6 posts. Look at Versatex, Wolf, Azek, Screen Tight wrapnsnap and a few others.
They go from $120-$180 depending where you buy from and the manufacture.
You can also buy 1/2" 4x8 pvc sheets and cut your own column covers on the table saw. Only draw back is time and you'll see the nails along the mitered edge.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 634

From your description, I would say that the 4xs would handle the load no problem. As long as they are not like 20 feet high, then you would need to think about buckling in a situation like that, not worrying about the load.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
CanningCustom (05-22-2013)
Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Different phrases of construction
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by mski View Post
They do make column wraps for 6x6 posts. Look at Versatex, Wolf, Azek, Screen Tight wrapnsnap and a few others.
They go from $120-$180 depending where you buy from and the manufacture.
You can also buy 1/2" 4x8 pvc sheets and cut your own column covers on the table saw. Only draw back is time and you'll see the nails along the mitered edge.
i see post builings being buiolt wit lamnated 2x 6. to not hav twistings but i don not thk simpson or anyone make a steel base to blot toa fotting lik they do for a 4x4 ora 6x a

pvc is gratea for detail work lik trimming postes.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 16

Could you use the structural fiberglass columns? They would look good on a colonial.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,906

I follow rule of thumb, keeping maximum height of 4x4 posts up to 8’ high, measured from the top of footing to bottom of girder. and anything from 8’to 12’ I would use 6X6 posts anything above that, I will consult with my Architect.

With that said, the max allowance in the flexible post size table use to be for a 4x4 post is 10' in height, but if you do tributary area load calculation at that height, 4x4 post can only support 36 SF of deck area. If you are using a post to carry a deck and the roof I would definitely go with a 6x6 post, not to mention it will have a much better Architectural appeal because 4x4 post will look undersized (of course depending on the deck and roof size)

Advertisement