Pay Rate - Framing - Contractor Talk

Pay Rate

Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #1

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Pay Rate

I am just about to start my framing busness (a year or two out) and i dont think i want to start in Oregon. Too start over i would need a high paying job some where. I was wondering what is the avg. pay rate for a capenter in other states?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Pay Rate

That would depend on factors such as...

are you hispanic
how the economy is doing
who you work for
where you work
how hard you work
how long of a work day you put in
do you smoke
are you an ex con
can you read a tape measure
do you know what a construction master is
do you realize the difference between a carpenter and a framer
can you cut stairs and rafters
how's your health
are you married
do you pay child support
is your wife/girlfriend good looking and does she call you every 5 minutes
do you bring your dog to work
what's wrong with Oregon

Advertisement

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Contractor, Stamped Concrete, Pool Design
Rewards Points: 75

Obviously farmerman doesn't know anything about labor laws, such as racism and hippa laws, Wait until a discruntle employee takes him to court. I can cut a reverse stringer to brace my forms, but does that make me a carpenter? I probably pay more in child support per month than he makes. What does any of this have to do with the original post. Nothing. Wether you are in Oregon or Las Vegas, the rate of pay is usually proportionate to the cost of living. You need to suck it up and save some money to make your dreams come true. Take all your side work money and save it. Work on your connections. From what I understand Oregon is a great place to live. Figure out what people want that they aren't getting. It maybe simple things like not answering your phone or not returning your calls. Customer service goes a long way. When you are at work, write down one thing during the day that didn't make the customer happy. One day when your on your own, look back at those notes and be successful. Keep your head up and stay positive. With paitence and persistance you can piss through a rock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Siding & remodeling

i like it!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 10

" is your wife/girlfriend good looking and does she call you every 5 minutes"

lol
Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #6
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Quote:
Wait until a discruntle employee takes him to court.
EEK! Would that be one of them illegal, breaking the law, not supposed to be here in the US type employees?

How's minimum wage to $100/hr...somewhere in between. Is that better?

are you hispanic - ability to communicate with others

how the economy is doing - maybe not so obvious to you, but that would be important...no?

who you work for - small business or big, how you would assimilate into your company

where you work - location basis for boom or bust, would make rates go up or down

how hard you work - if you're a weiner, then go elsewhere

how long of a work day you put in - part time or full time?

do you smoke - obvious health consequences

are you an ex con - murderer? rapist? armed robber?

can you read a tape measure - would be helpful cutting the RIGHT length

do you know what a construction master is - if not, get one, or at least a scientific calculator

do you realize the difference between a carpenter and a framer - big difference, if you don't know, then you're a carpenter

can you cut stairs and rafters - shows your abilities, if you can only pack lumber, then guess what?

how's your health - if you are huffing and puffing, how are you gonna work?

are you married - married guys on average seem to want to work more than unmarried, not saying all do or don't

do you pay child support - am I going to be getting phone calls every 5 damn minutes about what's going to be happening to your money?

is your wife/girlfriend good looking and does she call you every 5 minutes - if she's good looking, then I might let it slide, if not, go away

do you bring your dog to work - do you like poop on your shoes?

what's wrong with Oregon - absolutely nothing

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 09-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM
Rewards Points: 250

Yeah, I can tell you've made a lot of sawdust running framing crews framerman. Wifes/gf calling every 5 minutes, I hate those guys. They got the cell phone in there hand more than the hammer. Leave it to a West Coaster to not understand.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD View Post
Wifes/gf calling every 5 minutes, I hate those guys. They got the cell phone in there hand more than the hammer.
Me too!! I am my own boss (most of the time) and unless I am expecting a call I leave my phone in the truck where I usually can't hear it. I was replacing a piece of steel on on the rake/eave of a barn roof 50' up one time. I ran a rope up over the other side of the roof to attach to myself and actually had the rop in my mouth trying to keep from stepping on it and stay on a 10/12 roof. Look down and my helper (I use the term loosely) was on the phone looking the other direction......Climb down off the roof, explain to him he's done and take him home. I pay people to work for me not talk on the phone. We got away with not having a cell phone for years, why do people seem to think they need to have it shoved up their a$$ all the time now?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #9
Roofing Framing Guru

Trade: Cabinet Maker Extraordinaire

Framerman,

I liked it too since I personally know and worked with everyone or the types you mentioned

Advertisement