Not A Great Framer Anyone Willing To Give Me Some Advise? - Framing - Contractor Talk

Not A Great Framer Anyone Willing To Give Me Some Advise?

Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Not A Great Framer Anyone Willing To Give Me Some Advise?

Hey guys I got a couple of jobs coming up that require me to build sun rooms on a couple of decks. Problem is i have never done this and I got no idea of how to tie the posts into current deck and how to get the roof and walls connected to the existing house. One is brick and one has siding. I'm gonna do some sketch up designs and posts some pics when I get around to it but is there anywhere I can start to look to figure out how I do this. They are pretty simple sunrooms but it's just the tieing it into the house that's got me stumped. I have no doubt I can do it but never doing it I have no idea where to start.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,794

Re: Not A Great Framer Anyone Willing To Give Me Some Advise?

First, I think you will have to make a determination the the decks will be able to hold the new walls and roof loads and what you will have to do about that.
As for the details we need more specifics like are the brick walls structural or just veneer?
If veneer then you probably will not be able to connect directly to the veneer and will have to remove some of it at the least.
As for the roofs perhaps California framing would do the trick but not sure.

Andy.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
BCConstruction (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

even better perhaps Andy or someone like himself can for a fee provide you with the funny papers to help everyone sleep well at night and make the money they deserve to make
The Following User Says Thank You to parkers5150 For This Useful Post:
J F (06-06-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,346

Is it legal to build a sunroom on top of an existing deck?

If so does your AHJ require permits & drawings?

If not perhaps contact a local draftsman or engineer for structural details...

Posts should go down to a footing/pier...

Andy could do it for you...
Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
always building

Trade: general constructiion
Rewards Points: 2,224

what I said
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 75

I dont know about you areas codes, but here in NC we can build on existing decks, if thier framing are up to existing span, bracing, anchor codes. ( not grandfather clause legal) we frame the outside walls with the 4x4 supports in them, between the single topplate and the bottomplate, and nail to deck through the toe plate. attach whatever size beam material to the headplate, nailing up through plate into beam. ( notice,if the 4x4s dont line up with the existing bottom posts, it is dependent on the load specs. of the outer band, as to if you need to build the same beam on the bottom to spread out the load where needed Hopefully they are 1/2 walled to 36' so it wont be seen anyways after plywood) side walls if not load bearing is irrelevent. If you are buildng with gable roof, obviously the sides are relevent and the front is not.
as far as attaching to existing brick, I have never personally seen any brick need to be removed, and this would require lintles and grief.
check in VA, but here we are allowed to work through veneer, and anchor in home, by removing some drywall, adding flatblocks in the walls and drill bolt through the brick. Good news is this is seldom needed, only on 1st floor levels of 2 story houses. Usually you are tying in to existing roof, so all needed anchor, both horizontal if not connected to home on 2 sides, and vertical is covered. Hope this helps. If the decks are sound you will be cherry, you have to decide to start at bottom making them up to current code, or tear it down and start fresh.

Last edited by otislilly; 06-06-2012 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spelling alway is bad, but its after 1 am now as well LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to otislilly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #7
Pro

Thanks guys. As soon as my dam license turns up I will post some more info. I'm sure if I post pics and designs theres someone who can advise or explain how this thing connects to the existing house. Both decks will be brand new so no issues with not holding the weight. One customer already wants one made just like their neighbors so that will help a little.

Also from what I have seen already the sunrooms are fine ontop of deck with no footings. But looking into all this as we speak.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 06-06-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #8
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Both decks will be brand new so no issues with not holding the weight.
That's like saying you could carry two tons on a half-ton truck because it's new. For instance, footings are sized based upon the expected load. If you arbitrarily double that load, can you really expect them to perform just as well?

You need to consider the structure as a whole.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General, Electrical, and Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

So as to not freak out the local building inspector.

Do not say you are building a sun room on top of a deck. Say you are building a addition on a pier foundation that will happen to have decking for a finished floor surface.

Also put down some screen before you lay down the deck boards to keep the bugs out since this will be a mostly closed room.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
Pro

I'm sure I won't have any issues with building inspector. They always try and find stuff wrong but never have upto yet. They pass sunrooms on decks that are bolted to veneers that don't use a beam and have totally incorrect joist spans, beam spans, footing sizes and face mounted rim joist so with the way I build I should be fine. The first one I have to do I have to remove the whole deck that's only a few years old because there's no way I would put a sunroom ontop of it even though every house in this neighborhood does. Let's put it this way these decks are so bad I feel unsafe walking out on them as they feel like they are about to come away from the house yet they build massive sunrooms on them

Just had a friend give me a copy of a book called the visual handbook of building and dam I wish I had found this years ago when I moved here. Talk about a nice book for reference in these kind of things has everything you can think of in it with very detailed diagrams.

heres the first house the deck and sunroom is going on. ignore the current deck as thats being pulled down but this one im sure its gonna be pretty easy to tie into the house and the roof should be fairly easy as well.

its the brick one im more worried about and im doing a rendering of that as we speak.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 06-06-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 2,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction View Post
Also from what I have seen already the sunrooms are fine ontop of deck with no footings. But looking into all this as we speak.
Uhhm.....So what are the decks sitting on?

"There are no big projects. There are only small machines". - R. G. LeTourneau
Old 06-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.C. View Post
Uhhm.....So what are the decks sitting on?
Not enough i would have a guess. just from the way the decks have been built i bet they skimmped on the footings also so thats why im pulling these down to build them properly. The sunrooms posts just sit ontop of the deck and are screwed from underneath so they dont move.

Advertisement