My Framer Needs A WELDER - Framing - Contractor Talk

My Framer Needs A WELDER

Old 08-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

My Framer Needs A WELDER

Got a call from my framer, he was preparing to build the deck for a little reverse gable extension. he exposed the framing and found this

http://

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
Pro

Re: My Framer Needs A WELDER

the house is steel, built in the 40s, one of 60 in this development. i new going in that we would be dealing with some strange tie ins. the rim joist is a steel C channel, i am going to have a 2x3 steel angle welded on to the face. we will sit a ledger on top of this angle. kind of like a brickledge to hold the floor, i will have holes through the bottom of the L so i can lag into the ledger from the underside. look at the sheathing, this house is like a tin can.

Advertisement

Last edited by genecarp; 08-31-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,498

We've got quite a few of the stainless steel Sears houses around here, better to just walk away from those or you will end up looking like a fool trying to add on to them. Trust me, we all make fun of the one guy who thought he could build a breeze way between the house and the garage, wow it looked like crap. Good luck Gene, just be smart about it, get your steel to steel conections done right and go wood from there. Is there any issues with wood against a metal structure like that? What is going on with that siding on there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
We've got quite a few of the stainless steel Sears houses around here, better to just walk away from those or you will end up looking like a fool trying to add on to them. Trust me, we all make fun of the one guy who thought he could build a breeze way between the house and the garage, wow it looked like crap. Good luck Gene, just be smart about it, get your steel to steel conections done right and go wood from there. Is there any issues with wood against a metal structure like that? What is going on with that siding on there?

i tell you, just looking at the house you would never have known it was steel, the siding is 3 layers of ####, the last being vinyl. the customer is aware of the special circumstances regarding his house, money is not an issue, so we will do what it takes to make it rightG