My First House Frame. - Framing - Contractor Talk

My First House Frame.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

My First House Frame.

I think the title speaks for itself.
I have actually never framed a full house, i have done each step.. many times.. all on different houses but never a complete frame..
First day had us off the a rocky start.. lumber late.. the sill plate had a mind of its own.. But i snapped a perfectly square layout and we were very careful with leveling. It is a 2x8 plate so i found that shimming it on one side causes it to tilt which throws of the level. What we opted to do was run all the plates... tack the rim board ends to the plate. level each end and then let the intermediate points float for now. I stayed late to frame the back half of the floor to show the customer some visual progress.. It seemed to help to have weight on the plates to shim up the intermediate points.. Other wise the whole plate would liftva and throw the ends out of whack. I never have had such a problem with a plate. As mad and annoyed as i was.. I know its worth to spend the time now.. and set the stage for a smooth build.
Today we kept going.. Had to trim down the bearing wall because the laser actually got ****ed up.. It showed 3/8 to 3/4 variation.. A little bit of screaming and sawzaling fixed that up.
The joist plan is very vague.. and the architectural plans lack alot of detail so that makes it fun.
I am making up cut lists for all the wall components.. Gonna go in on the weekend.. make all the packages.
I don't want to get ahead of myself but i am trying to figure out the best way to approach the roof. I know i will stand the walls with the soffit box already on.. But i am trying to figure out if there is a way for me to build the steep 4' high roof that wraps around the building on the wall and lifting it up.. sheeted and everything. the trusses are simple gables.. and the top of the facade roof just comes up to match the heel height at the plate. Im gonna keep scheming but any suggestions are appreciated.
If the material take off allows for it, i sure as hell am gonna build that 3 gabled front wall as a rake wall and lift it in one shot.
Its stressful running a crew.. but then again i don't really know what i am doing
Attached Thumbnails
My first house frame.-img_0372.jpg   My first house frame.-img_0348.jpg   My first house frame.-img_0350.jpg   My first house frame.-img_0352.jpg  

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to FramingPro For This Useful Post:
Dan_Watson (09-10-2014), Eaglei (09-11-2014), festerized (09-11-2014), Jaws (09-12-2014), KennMacMoragh (09-13-2014), loneframer (09-13-2014), Mr Latone (09-14-2014), SLSTech (09-17-2014), sout101 (09-14-2014), Texas Wax (09-13-2014), wallmaxx (12-20-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,526

Re: My First House Frame.

Looking good! Enjoy!

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #3

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 99

Nice!! Go get em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramerKMC View Post
Nice!! Go get em!
X2, Nick!
Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: new construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 638

I feel your pain. I dread icf basements
Old 09-12-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
Forming and Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol View Post
I feel your pain. I dread icf basements
Hey!
Whats the problem.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
The Sheriff

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 222

First of many, Im sure.

Cheif Joseph
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
marbledust (09-16-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 926

Why are you having to shim mad sill
Old 09-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: new construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 638

They take too much work to get started level and square. Also finishing the exterior is more work as well. More of a diy thing here.

Last edited by smeagol; 09-12-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 838

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol
They take too much work to get started level and square. Also finishing the exterior is more work as well. More of a diy thing here.
How is it more work to start level and square? Snap lines on footing and go. And how is the finishing the exterior harder?
Old 09-13-2014, 05:04 AM   #11
Forming and Framing

Started walls after the floor was capped !! Lots of fun . Had a fun day.. Stayed late to get more done.. "Hey dad can you come help me stand this wall " yup I'm gonna make a framer out of him .. Gonna go build the rest later .. Get it ready for second floor .. Floor package is Monday
I really think I will be able to get away with building that big wall with all the gables attached!! Woo hoo
I was hoping to build the fire place on the wall first and then stand it.. but it was near the end of the day and everyone wanted to leave so i had to just say **** it.. Its easy enough to frame after the fact..
Attached Thumbnails
My first house frame.-image-3043401385.jpg   My first house frame.-image-2245601489.jpg   My first house frame.-image-992751357.jpg   My first house frame.-image-1108240394.jpg   My first house frame.-image-373058837.jpg  

Last edited by FramingPro; 09-13-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor ~ Property Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,306

Nice
Old 09-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: residential/remodeling carpenter
Rewards Points: 938

Looks good so far. Don't forget your fall protection, especially around that rebar! Its hard to get in the habit of doing it but all it takes is one bad fall. Trust me, i'm speaking from experience. Keep at it, you'll do fine
Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
KemoSabe

Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Rewards Points: 12,218

Nice Nick! It's great to see your commitment, as well as everyone's who coached you along on CT pay off. Keep up the hard work.

"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"

Old 09-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2

If those are gonna be live valleys on that upper front wall, then go for it!
If not, I would probably build it flat and stick those gables on after.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 998

Put a railing on the open side there. Wear your hard hats.
How do you plan on railing off the second floor? Much easier to stand the railings on the walls before they go up.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,394

It took me a while too before I had the chance to frame my first house start to finish. I spent about two years framing small stuff like garages, parts of houses, and condos. When I finally got to frame my first house, I worked for a guy who was a good framer but a pain to work with. He told me I wasn't worth a sh!t. I didn't know the difference between framing condos and houses so it took me some time to catch on.

Have fun, stay safe.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #18
Forming and Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_dmr View Post
Put a railing on the open side there. Wear your hard hats.
How do you plan on railing off the second floor? Much easier to stand the railings on the walls before they go up.
You need railings? for framing the floor or building walls? Damn i was hoping to hang down the ply to overlap the rim... is another alternative wearing harness?
I will put railings on the rest of the walls

Old 09-14-2014, 09:16 AM   #19
Forming and Framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
If those are gonna be live valleys on that upper front wall, then go for it!
If not, I would probably build it flat and stick those gables on after.
I know they are california valleys, i have yet to see the truss plan but i think that front section is hand cut.. if thats the case i will have some room to build it in a way that allows me to prefab as much as possible.
I can see it now.. a 3 gables ... 15'-17' above the floor.. that would be quite the wall!!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 1,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramingPro
You need railings? for framing the floor or building walls? Damn i was hoping to hang down the ply to overlap the rim... is another alternative wearing harness? I will put railings on the rest of the walls
Harness is fine but unless you have a retractable one I wouldn't recommend it. The rope just gets in the way. I'm not sure if there's qualico over in Ontario. Basically they regulate their job sites for safety and will kick you off if you have any infractions before you get fines by OH&S. They are a huge PITA. I got kicked off a site a couple weeks ago because I didn't have my stairs and had a ladder going up to the second floor. On another house before I tried the harness route and forgot to put the rope on went to start laying out a wall and who shows up? One of the qualico safety guys. And because I was 6' from the edge without a harness or railing they almost shut us down. I told the guy that I had 800 sq ft to play with and if I fall off I deserved it. Haha he didn't like that comment too much.

I will generally build the railing after my first floor is on. All those post sticking up gets in the way when trying to lay floor joists. The proper way is like Kyle said put some studs sticking past on your wall before you stand them. Make sure you put a block or two under the stud at the top of the wall so that it leans back a bit to make your life easier when doing the rim board on the second floor.

Advertisement