Load Bearing Walls - Framing - Contractor Talk

Load Bearing Walls

Old 06-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Load Bearing Walls

Hello framers, Im a finish carpenter and have no structural experience. Im in need of some help regarding a side job Im thinking about doing. The customer wants to remove a 14' load bearing wall and support it with a beam. I know how to do this but what size beam should i choose? I was thinking a 4x10. Is that sufficient enough?

Also, he wants a pony wall with a half door installed in place of the load bearing wall. It wont have any shear strength because he wants to use plexi glass instead of sheetrock. Im wondering how Im going to support the half wall which will be in the middle of the room.? Without any support from bottom plate to top plate I dont see it being very stable unless I "L" off each side.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Load Bearing Walls

Regardless of how you decide to do it, you better make sure your insurance covers dealing with load bearing walls, I know mine doesn't.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

14' is a lot mabe a steel flinch plate or some LVLs it depends on the style like a header for a cased opening or flush with ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,974

I will say this carefully, but it isn't as simple as saying a 14 ft load bearing wall replaced by a beam. How much load? What is above it? I have seen where homes were added on, and someone decided to remove a load bearing wall, that used to be an exterior load bearing wall, with serious results. It is even worse when a wall is removed, and they the "remover" finds out it holds up more then the wall itself.

Before you can determine a beam size, you need to know exactly what you are supporting, and then plan bracing in to support the weight while you build the beam in and secure it.

The pony wall isn't a big deal, there are several acceptable ways to attach it to prevent movement.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page