Just Curious... - Framing - Contractor Talk

Just Curious...

Old 05-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 810

Just Curious...

For the guys who frame, specifically guys who have a crew who frame hip roofs with trusses. How many of your guys (crew) have the ability to calculate rafter, hip rafter, and Jack rafter lengths?

The reason I ask is because we are in the land of trusses here, so the mindset for a lot of guys is that it's a puzzle that just needs to get assembled. Unfortunately, most of the hip components that get sent out are total crap and require slight modifications in order for them to fall on layout, be plumb, and plane properly. I find that a lot of guys don't have the experience to spot these mistakes and rely on string lines and power planers to make things work, which drives me crazy.

This question stems from my frustration in not being able to find guys who have this ability. So I'm just curious if this is an unrealistic expectation of mine, or if this is a common struggle with you as well?

I mean as it stands now, I'm sending my guys home with quizzes in order to help teach them these things.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 12:06 AM   #2

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 12

Re: Just Curious...

I'm employed, also in the land of trusses, and feel its a perfectly reasonable expectation for you to have as an employer. I guess like most things, it takes someone to teach you, so good on you for that.

Advertisement

Last edited by TWarner; 05-17-2015 at 12:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TWarner For This Useful Post:
JesseCocozza (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 1,156

We're framing in the land of trusses and CM pro is our friend... every hip measurement comes from our own calcs, and not just how the puzzle fits. Never do we send up a block, fascia, rafters, or anything with any angle that does not fit. All figured out by the cutman with CM pro. As a matter of fact for irregular hips there is no other way. How else do you get all your cheek cuts and angles if you have an 8" and an 10" pitch for example?
The Following User Says Thank You to Framer87 For This Useful Post:
JesseCocozza (05-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 367

I feel for you guys in the land of trusses, I've never lived there

Trusses used to be a rare sight around here and roof cutting was a requirement for a competent carpenter, unfortunately that has changed in recent years with the proliferation of truss and wall plants by the local lumber yards.

I've managed to be a hold out as my 2 sons and I will only frame hand cut projects, and there are still plenty of those.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 402joel For This Useful Post:
JesseCocozza (05-17-2015), kiteman (05-17-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 03:16 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer87 View Post
We're framing in the land of trusses and CM pro is our friend... every hip measurement comes from our own calcs, and not just how the puzzle fits. Never do we send up a block, fascia, rafters, or anything with any angle that does not fit. All figured out by the cutman with CM pro. As a matter of fact for irregular hips there is no other way. How else do you get all your cheek cuts and angles if you have an 8" and an 10" pitch for example?

I am the same way, but there not many guys that have this knowledge or experience. This is kind of the whole point of my post. How in the world do some of these guys make it so long without learning how to do it properly. It's crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseCocozza For This Useful Post:
Framer87 (05-18-2015)
Old 05-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,350

The same issue was around 35-40 years ago.

More time and labor is wasted on cutting roofs and stairs than anything.

Before trusses there was no option but to stack a roof. However, even in those days truly competent roof cutters were always in demand. There were any number of guys that could eventually cob a roof together. Once trusses started becoming the norm, that started the death knell for competent roof cutters. As time went by there became no one who could/wanted to teach and not many interested in learning. The pro roof cutters working today are few and far between.

Stairs are pretty much the same deal. Tremendous amounts of time and material wasted in cutting them.

So all this leads to the shortage of carpenters who have the basic knowledge to make the components of a hip truss package work.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

the only time i hand frame is for valley sets it is the way it is. still know how to but just can not beat the truss. one more part of the trade that is going going gone
Old 05-17-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 335

Most of the larger houses we build are about 75% truss, 25% stick. Trusses are never gonna completely replace stick, but they are very useful for larger spans and more economical. While I have never met a roof that I couldn't stick (so far!) I have also never used a CM, or any calculator on site to stick a roof. Just the way I was taught. When I started 30 years ago, nobody had a calculator on site. Doesn't make ame any better, nor any worse than a guy that does.

As far as my employees, I have two 20 year carpenters on board. Neither guy could probably take a full stick from start to finish. If they could, they would likely have moved on and started their own gig. My methods vary depending on the roof. A basic new construction, single, pitch gable would likely just be calculated on a scrap of 2x4 in less than a minute. A hip would take a couple extra steps, but still not too hard. On many remodels, the string will likely come out, as the likelihood of the existing being entirely accurate, is minimal.

Easy Gibson
Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: residential/remodeling carpenter
Rewards Points: 938

I can get by, and have framed a few stick roofs that I actually was impressed I did so well on, but by no means could I figure or frame stick roofs as efficiently as guys who do it all the time
Old 05-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: framer/builder
Rewards Points: 558

Teach them to be one with a straight edge, its a framers best friend. That's what I teach my employees. Why wait for me to come around. First thing I am going to do is grab a straight edge and throw it on what every they are working on. If its not right, the straight edge will show it off right away.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka guy View Post
Teach them to be one with a straight edge, its a framers best friend. That's what I teach my employees. Why wait for me to come around. First thing I am going to do is grab a straight edge and throw it on what every they are working on. If its not right, the straight edge will show it off right away.

This is kind of the problem. I get too many guys that are great at walls and subfloors. They make things nice and straight and flat, but cutting a roof of another story. Not enough guys that can sort out the cuts / angles properly without guessing.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/GC
Rewards Points: 344

I was lucky enough to be taught by a great roof stacker - the guy could stick a roof in his sleep. He never used a CM - just a framing square and a string. I use a CM now but I also haven't done any serious framing in years.

I think you are on the right track though - teach them. Most truss guys can't stick because they were never taught.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,350

I don't think most modern day Carpenters have a framing square, much less know how to use it.

A guys skill level used to be determined relevant to his knowledge of the use of a framing square....
Chad McDade (05-18-2015), JAH (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,416

Framing Square yes, but not without square locks. Those things are awesome!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I don't think most modern day Carpenters have a framing square, much less know how to use it.

A guys skill level used to be determined relevant to his knowledge of the use of a framing square....

While I appreciate that skill level, I'll take what I can get!

In all seriousness. I've done this long enough to know that each carpenter has his own way of attacking a build. I try not to get too hung up on the route they choose. I am focused on helping them to see the "triangles" in everything. If I can give them a CM and help them see the different triangles in their mind's eye, I think they'll get there. If they can figure it out faster or easier with a square, great, but I have a feeling that will come later.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #16
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseCocozza View Post
This is kind of the problem. I get too many guys that are great at walls and subfloors. They make things nice and straight and flat, but cutting a roof of another story. Not enough guys that can sort out the cuts / angles properly without guessing.
Don't sweat it. The thing you mentioned was one of the big reasons I went solo and reminded myself again recently.

For those who don't know, our area is absolutely wretched for competent carpenter's, especially if it takes any amount of skill more than, "can't drink beer till after jobsite". Keep looking, hopefully you can find someone.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 PM   #17
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseCocozza View Post
While I appreciate that skill level, I'll take what I can get!

In all seriousness. I've done this long enough to know that each carpenter has his own way of attacking a build. I try not to get too hung up on the route they choose. I am focused on helping them to see the "triangles" in everything. If I can give them a CM and help them see the different triangles in their mind's eye, I think they'll get there. If they can figure it out faster or easier with a square, great, but I have a feeling that will come later.
Just helped a guy frame a roof. He took a 5500 sq ft roof and took a week to make it not plane. It was horrible. Framing around here is for a different breed, get the market if you can.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: drywall junky
Rewards Points: 498

Remember when framing squares were sold with the little book that showed how to use it for hips, valleys, jacks, stairs, etc. etc. I bought one when I was 16 and read that little book so many times I think I saw it in my sleep! Not saying I ever learned to use it to its full potential though!
I have a neighbor that to this day doesn't use a speed square. I've learned a lot from that guy.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Just helped a guy frame a roof. He took a 5500 sq ft roof and took a week to make it not plane. It was horrible. Framing around here is for a different breed, get the market if you can.

I thought you only did decks??!! You didn't tell me you were for hire. Now I'm offended!
Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
I don't think most modern day Carpenters have a framing square, much less know how to use it.....

All they know now is a speed square, and still not all the scales on those.

Advertisement

griz (05-18-2015)