Hurriquake Nails - Framing - Contractor Talk

Hurriquake Nails

Old 01-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hurriquake Nails

Has anyone had experience with the hurriquake nails for framing here in Tennessee? With the winds as they are a lot of the time here, I am interested in using them, and need to know the pros and cons if any as opposed to a standard nail. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 46

Re: Hurriquake Nails

If you are going to bother with these: http://www.bostitch.com/xhtml/intera...uake_show.html

why not use these instead? http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/R4_1_2_information.htm

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 01-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by joasis View Post
The problem with the screws is the head size vs the hurriquake nail, and with high winds, the shank is important, but the head is equally important to prevent pull thru.

Then again, if they keep maiking "ply"wood with less & less plys, it will take a head the size of a garbage can lid to hold the ply down. hahaha

From the hirriquake page:

Anyway, it took 6 years of development, (my input: 6 years to come up this difference?? wonder how they were being paid? ) to reach the final nail version, it is an “original” idea by Edd Sutt in which the focus is to - how to keep the nail from pulling out - when a Hurri/Quake joins the party and blasts a house. As you can imagine the basic idea is something like: if the nail doesn’t get pulled out, your house stands still. Apply this thought to the 8,000 nails that are required to use while constructing a house, and you are sure to be safe.
I believe the idea comes in a good time and people should take advantage of it, since the fears of previous hurricanes are still present and with the claims that HurriQuake boasts (50% more resistance to earthquakes, 2x resistance to high hurricane winds) the only smart thing to do is using it, unless there is a better option of course…

My input, 1 mo time:The size of the head, the new design to the shank, it has to offer more pros than any cons, I would think, unless one needs a rubber hammer to install them to prevent bending.
Hammer driven would be the only con, unless they do make new nailers for them now. Just what we need, one more nail gun to add to our collection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 46

I'll take the screws anyday over having a new nail to deal with. I think the GRK's would be as or more resistant to "pull through" on any sheathing. The head on the #10's that we use typically as large as a 16d framing nail, and a lot tougher...the tensile strength is really up there....and if you doubt it, try and sawing one with a good bi-metal blade in a recip.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 4,748

Does the website really say 2" OC? I had a hard time reading that with the funky colors but it sure looks like they expect the framers to hand nail their sheathing/decking @2" OC with their ring-shank nails. How many want to bet that that will happen?

http://www.bostitch.com/xhtml/intera...uake_show.html
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burby View Post
Anyway, it took 6 years of development, (my input: 6 years to come up this difference?? wonder how they were being paid? ) to reach the final nail version, it is an “original” idea by Edd Sutt
Edd Sutt gets my vote for Captan Obvious of the year. Well except for that last portion of the video when he holds a broken stud and says no nails pulled through, What the hells that row of metal things with heads on em then?
Quote:
My input, 1 mo time:The size of the head, the new design to the shank, it has to offer more pros than any cons, I would think, unless one needs a rubber hammer to install them to prevent bending.
Hammer driven would be the only con, unless they do make new nailers for them now. Just what we need, one more nail gun to add to our collection.
The nails they showed in production in the video were plastic collated. I would assume they have a destination.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 748

I've used quite a few boxes of the previous version of those nails, SheatherPlus. I liked them because they were harder to overdrive with the oversized head. I think they were $3/box more expensive, but that was compared to a box of .113" nails and we ordered the .131" nails (shank).

We have shear nailing inspections here so that was a nice plus. Now we mostly use coil nailers so I keep a box of larger shanked nails for special shearwalls that get spec'd.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framing and Trimwork
Rewards Points: 91

Yes it says the spacing on them is two inches on center then in other parts it says normal spacing. And it also says for a 2000 sqft roof you need 8000 nails. Their 118 dollars for 5000 so only 236 dollars and you need the 21degree plastic collated nailer to shoot them. I was watching the video and it says "builders applaud them". I also says we beneifit by "selling the added quality disaster resistant homes". "And peace of mind". They sound like something Mike Holmes would like.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

I have um and they jamb bolth bostitch and Max framers, now they sit on the shelf in the shop

Advertisement