Header Bearing - Framing - Contractor Talk

Header Bearing

Old 12-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #1

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 4

Header Bearing

I have been searching on wall design/anatomy for a while now without any clear answers.

How much bearing does a header need in a structural timber frame? The carpenters I am working with at the moment use:
- Window: 1 king stud, two trimmers providing 90mm bearing roughly
- Door: - 1 king stud, 3 trimmers providing 135mm bearing roughly

To me this seems a bit backward as often a window opening is larger than a doorway opening.

I am pretty sure that for concrete lintels, a minimum of 100mm bearing is needed and 150mm for steel lintels, but I cant find anything on timber lintel/header bearing.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 12-30-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,546

Re: Header Bearing

Timber framing is a world of its own. In light wood frame construction, there is no need for more than one king stud and one jack stud in most cases. For windows, trimmers are frequently kept on layout to give some support and to have something to attach sheathing and drywall to.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (12-30-2016), ScipioAfricanus (12-31-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBS Building View Post

How much bearing does a header need in a structural timber frame?

What do the plans call for? Structural timber frame requires engineering to get a permit around here, should have a detail
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-31-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

The Engineer of Record on the Project should have done a Finite Element Analysis of the frame as designed and made changes to suit the on-site and regional requirements with respect to loads on the Frame. His drawings will answer your question. Where I live, there is no "Building Code" once an Engineer stamps the drawing. What he says is required is the right answer.

As usual, the Header or Beam bearing is determined by the forces acting upon it. Often in a Timber Frame, the typical standards of "1 1/2 inches of bearing" for joists and min 3" for beams goes out the door because the TF stuff is typically wider and provides more bearing surface than stick framing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
hdavis (12-31-2016), ScipioAfricanus (12-31-2016), Tom M (12-30-2016)