Gauging Rafters And Joists - Framing - Contractor Talk

Gauging Rafters And Joists

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 432

Gauging Rafters And Joists

I did a search and couldn't find anything on this subject. Maybe it's called something else. I stopped by to talk to the framer I've been using for several years this week on a job (not mine) and his cut man was cutting joists and "gauging" the middle where the stiffback would go. They do the same for rafters where a purlin will be. They have a homemede go-no-go gauge they use to check each rafter or joist at the point where the stiffback or purlin will go. If the gauge won't fit, they hit the top of the joist or bottom of the rafter with a portable power planer. The purpose of this is to keep a board that is slightly too tall from causing a bump in the ceiling or roof. If any are too shallow (detected by using a string - similar to the way one lines walls), they drive a shim between the stiffback and joist or purlin and rafter. Anybody else ever seen that? I've used several framers over the years and these guys are the only ones I've ever seen do that.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,012

Re: Gauging Rafters And Joists

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon
I did a search and couldn't find anything on this subject. Maybe it's called something else. I stopped by to talk to the framer I've been using for several years this week on a job (not mine) and his cut man was cutting joists and "gauging" the middle where the stiffback would go. They do the same for rafters where a purlin will be. They have a homemede go-no-go gauge they use to check each rafter or joist at the point where the stiffback or purlin will go. If the gauge won't fit, they hit the top of the joist or bottom of the rafter with a portable power planer. The purpose of this is to keep a board that is slightly too tall from causing a bump in the ceiling or roof. If any are too shallow (detected by using a string - similar to the way one lines walls), they drive a shim between the stiffback and joist or purlin and rafter. Anybody else ever seen that? I've used several framers over the years and these guys are the only ones I've ever seen do that.
I've never had to do that because when I scribe my rafters for cathedral ceilings I keep the pattern flush on the bottom of the rafters so that the sheetrock line is straight. Any variations are on top and aren't noticeable from inside.

Advertisement

Last edited by Joe Carola; 01-22-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
I've never had to do that because when I scribe my rafters for cathedral ceilings I keep the pattern flush on the bottom of the rafters so that the sheetrock line is straight. Any variations are on top and aren't noticeable from inside.
Are you talking about a cathedral ceiling where the ceiling/roof member is the same piece? If so and one rafter/joist was taller, why wouldn't it show up on the roof if the bottoms all lined up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #4

Trade: Framing, Carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

If you can see that bump on the roof after its sheeted and shingled, than you my friend have a good eye that should be the standard that all other eyes are measured against.
The Following User Says Thank You to robby686 For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby686 View Post
If you can see that bump on the roof after its sheeted and shingled, than you my friend have a good eye that should be the standard that all other eyes are measured against.
It doesn't take much of an imperfection to show up with 3 tabs. I'll agree that laminated shingles hide such issues better.
The Following User Says Thank You to txgencon For This Useful Post:
JustaFramer (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
If so and one rafter/joist was taller, why wouldn't it show up on the roof if the bottoms all lined up?
It would, of course. But Robby is right that you'd need a fairly keen eye to pick it out when all is said and done. Still, your guy's way will make sheathing a breeze.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #7

Trade: Framing, Carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Don't forget the layer of purlins either. Thats another layer of material to hide the imperfection.

I always like to tune up my rafters/ceiling joists after they are installed. That way I know how everything is planing and everything gets fixed so it planes out perfectly.

A nic long straight edge will get you a lot farther than some gauge block while your rafters are still on the saw horses.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
Are you talking about a cathedral ceiling where the ceiling/roof member is the same piece? If so and one rafter/joist was taller, why wouldn't it show up on the roof if the bottoms all lined up?
I've framed it before where they are one piece or two pieces. Still the bottoms are always flush for sheetrock and and variation is at the top. You will not see it once you sheathing with 5/8 tarpaper and shingles...three tab or architectural.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #9

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 75

the reason you have never heard of it is because it is asinine. Any rough carpenter's go-no-go gauge is his tape measure, his power planer a circular saw. to only check where purlings and collar ties go sound like it makes one part of the rafter lower then the rest that was not planed. you always make the rafter work off the ceiling, if the top is off you will never see it
Old 01-22-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
David Festa

Rewards Points: 2,030

I always keep my rafter pattern flush to the top, any indifference will be on the underside. If Iím doing a cathedral ceiling Iíll do a quick rafter death measurement, Iíll put aside any rafter that differs more than a ľĒ. Iíll also disregard any rafters with a large crown in cathedral ceilings.
If i come across a large amount of rafters and ceiling beams that differ (crown & depth size) Iíll separate and group them so that section of the ceiling or roof will be the same
The Following User Says Thank You to festerized For This Useful Post:
loneframer (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Extraordinary Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,728

I don't think I have ever used a planer on a framing job.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

maybe he means gouging.
like making a small birdsmouth for the strong back to sit it

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds
Old 01-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Exiled For Life
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
I don't think I have ever used a planer on a framing job.

Really they don't want you to plane and strip studs for sheet rock?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #14
Gen. Contractor

Trade: Residential Light commercial
Rewards Points: 2,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaFramer

Really they don't want you to plane and strip studs for sheet rock?
I shim and shaved every house I framed in Vegas, hundreds. I've done 2 here in Utah. My dads and one for a GC I convinced that It Was worth it. I'll do all the ones I general, of coarse I'll frame them myself.
I dont know anyone that does it here. Maybe it's less necessary in more humid climates?
I use my power planer all the time.

Last edited by Ninjaframer; 01-22-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Pro

We have been getting wet ****ty lumber from British Columbia for years. The kiln-dried stuff is expensive compared to wet fungus lumber from Canada.

One housing developement I was on in 98. You could hear the house twisting and popping in the summer. This was before the shim and shave became industry standard around here.

I don't know how many times I had to go back for free to fix crooked and twist studs. Hold the ****ing 10% bull**** over your head. I didn't buy the ****tiest lumber package possible.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
Gen. Contractor

Maybe that was it, I didn't pay attention to lumber type in Vegas. Everything is kiln dried here. When I framed in Texas they used finger jointed studs, I hate them sh##y things.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #17
Pro

Yeah there is another joke. Finger jointed studs. The selling point on those was they were straight compared to nominal lumber.

Have had to shim and shave those POS too.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Gen. Contractor

I was walking plate and had 3 buckle, wall wasnt double plated but if the studs buckle from me walkin the wall what happens in an earthquake? Plus it's a pain to have to be careful about what you use as horizontal member, plate, sills ect.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaframer View Post
I was walking plate and had 3 buckle, wall wasnt double plated but if the studs buckle from me walkin the wall what happens in an earthquake?
I have the same instinctive dislike of FJ, but if it's plumb and sheathed on both sides, where's it going to go? A structure is more than the sum of its parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (01-22-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
Gen. Contractor

I was thinking more of interior where there is just drywall for sheer, in fact now that I think about it we only used FJ for interior walls in TX

Advertisement