Framing Square Tables - Framing - Contractor Talk

Framing Square Tables

Old 06-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 6

Framing Square Tables

Fellow tradesman,

In my attempt to improve in my carpentry skils I feel the need to make a fool of myself and ask a beginners question.

How do I understand the tables on a framing sqaure? I get the octagon, board feet and brace tables. The one dealing with roof rafter lengths and the like goes over my head...to some degree. Any help guys?

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to TiBoneFramer For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (06-03-2016)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 896

Re: Framing Square Tables

You would be amazed at what things you can do with a simple framing square. Since you've listed your trade as a framer, I am a bit confused about why you would be asking this question.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 5,258

I'm a bit confused as to why an electrician is busting the chops of a framer asking an honest question in trying to add to his skills and knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mordekyle For This Useful Post:
Unger.const (06-04-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
I'm a bit confused as to why an electrician is busting the chops of a framer asking an honest question in trying to add to his skills and knowledge.

Don't let my user name fool you. It happens often.

I have no issue with this post. It is however a pretty broad question. He can do birdsmouths, rafter lengths, stair treads, take offs for ridges, etc. with a couple dogs in place.

Before I was allowed to pound nail number one, I was trained on how to take advantage of a framing square and use it.

The framing square is a marvelous tool, and perhaps you should link to some you tube videos about that.
mikeswoods (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post

Just poking fun here----many of us have multiple skills--

I have 'executive chef' as one of my skills from days gone by-----
Old 06-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Your point is made. While I am a framer, I still do have a lot to learn. I admit that.

I think I went a little to vague for you guys. My appologize.

Take a look at the empire framing sqaure. (The one I have) It says on the rafter table area things like common rafter length per foot run, hip/valley rafter length per foot run, difference in length of jacks 24 oc, side cut length of jack rafters and side cut of hip/valley rafters. I want to use those tables...more effectivly. Any insight?

I do know how to cut common, hip, valley, jack etc rafters with a framing sqaure (as well as build stairs and so on) but I want to understand these tables.

Thanks for putting up with my stupidity!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Don't feel stupid---I still keep a copy of the 'little blue book' in my glove compartment---I'm old and sometimes the memory fails me.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
CharlieDelta (08-30-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiBoneFramer View Post
Your point is made. While I am a framer, I still do have a lot to learn. I admit that.

I think I went a little to vague for you guys. My appologize.

Take a look at the empire framing sqaure. (The one I have) It says on the rafter table area things like common rafter length per foot run, hip/valley rafter length per foot run, difference in length of jacks 24 oc, side cut length of jack rafters and side cut of hip/valley rafters. I want to use those tables...more effectivly. Any insight?

I do know how to cut common, hip, valley, jack etc rafters with a framing sqaure (as well as build stairs and so on) but I want to understand these tables.

Thanks for putting up with my stupidity!
Oh geez. No worries! Those tables show you how much to add to the length of the rafter based on the rise per run (or pitch which is a fraction). I'm sure there are some great you tube videos out there by old timers that show you how to do the calculations. Always remember to deduct half of the ridge member width when cutting the rafters. It get's forgotten all the time.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #9
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 20

Rafter length per foot of run is the actual length of the rafter per each foot it runs.

example:

A 12/12 pitch rafter is 16.97 inches per foot of run. A run of 10 feet would give you a rafter length of 169.7

Easy Gibson
Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 178

Here's a link to a site that has a lot of information on the subject............

http://inspectapedia.com/roof/Framin..._Table_Use.php
The Following User Says Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
rselectric1 (06-03-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 01:12 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,074

Back when all this was more important, a 2 volume set was written on "The Steel Square" .
Old 06-04-2016, 02:46 AM   #12
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Back when all this was more important, a 2 volume set was written on "The Steel Square" .
It's still important, but just not utilized anymore... Maybe even irrelevant with all the tech we've got now.
I'm still keenly interested in learning about the full uses of the framing square, have been for a few years. Just haven't gotten around to doing much more than stair layout, scaling rafters, and marking lines.
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 06-04-2016, 03:50 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,056

Do they still come with an instruction manual. I have not bought a new one in a very long time.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:58 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

It's amazing that in this age of lasers and iphones, a little piece of metal with some stamped numbers and letters is still so dam useful...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1911 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (06-04-2016), hdavis (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 04:31 AM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,058

Some History on the "Steel Square"

http://cdi.uvm.edu/findingaids/colle...square.ead.xml

The Tables are "Reference" material used by Framers. The Lengths charts are self-explanatory. The "Side-Cut . . ." were primarily used for marking Compound Miter cuts found on Hip/Vals and Jacks, to be cut with a handsaw.

The old "Step-off" method of marking Jacks lengths is not as accurate as calculating each length. The CMC's are modern replacements for the tables and other reference book tables. They make Irregular H/V Roof Framing much easier.

. . .
The Following User Says Thank You to Birch For This Useful Post:
hdavis (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
Do they still come with an instruction manual. I have not bought a new one in a very long time.
I just bought a Chappell framing square, it comes with a book, but never one from the big box stores.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #17
GC

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 78

I think it's great that you want to acquire more knowledge and understanding of the Steel Square ( Framing Square ) .

I have worked with VERY few Carpenters over the years that I would consider proficient with the Steel Square.

Most all Carpenters can make the pitch cuts, a lot of Carpenters know at least one of the methods for stepping off . Some understand the Rafter Tables and Brace Tables but for most this is where it stops ( at least in my experience ) .

Mostly I think it's because most Carpenters don't run across anyone that can teach them full use of the Square , and then you have the fact that in the modern world of construction the Carpenter doesn't get the opportunity to apply the Square for it's other uses very often .

There are 2 books I would recommend to you that will teach you full use of the Steel Square .

#1 - The Steel Square by H. H. Siegele

#2 - Roof Framing by H. H. Siegele

Both books are (IMO) as good of instructional books available for someone wanting to master the Steel Square .
Old 06-04-2016, 12:26 PM   #18
Pro

I don't know of any better than some of the ones on this list, available for free download:

https://archive.org/search.php?query...%27+squares%22
Old 06-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
Pro

List from archive.org:

Steel squares and their uses
Jul 21, 2008
Hodgson, Fred. T. (Frederick Thomas), 1836-1919
texts
Topic: Carpenters' squares

The carpenters' steel square, and its uses : being a description of the square, and its uses in obtaining the lengths and bevels of all kinds of rafters, hips, groins, braces, brackets, purlins, collar-beams, and jack-rafters : also, its application in obtaining the bevels and cuts for hoppers, spring mouldings, octagons, stairs, diminished stiles, etc., etc., etc.
Feb 18, 2015
texts

The carpenters' steel square, and its uses : being a description of the square, and its uses in obtaining the lengths and bevels of all kinds of rafters, hips, groins, braces, brackets, purlings, collar-beams, and jack-rafters
Sep 29, 2008
texts

Vol 1: The steel square and its uses; a complete, up-to-date encyclopedia on the practical uses of the steel square
Sep 17, 2008
Radford, William A., 1865-; Woods, Alfred W., joint ed; Reuther, William, joint ed
texts
Book digitized by Google from the library of the New York Public Library and uploaded to the Internet Archive by user tpb.
Source: http://books.google.com/books?id=3sYJAAAAIAAJ&oe=UTF-8

The carpenters' steel square, and its uses: being a description of the square and its uses in obtaining the lengths and bevels of all kinds of rafters, hips, groins, braces, brackets, purlins, collar beams, and jack-rafters ..
Jul 18, 2009
texts
Book digitized by Google from the library of Harvard University and uploaded to the Internet Archive by user tpb.
Source: http://books.google.com/books?id=O-IXAAAAYAAJ&oe=UTF-8

Vol 2: The steel square and its uses; a complete, up-to-date encyclopedia on the practical uses of the steel square
Sep 17, 2008
Radford, William A., 1865-; Woods, Alfred W., joint ed; Reuther, William, joint ed
texts
Book digitized by Google from the library of the New York Public Library and uploaded to the Internet Archive by user tpb.
Source: http://books.google.com/books?id=sL8JAAAAIAAJ&oe=UTF-8

Stair-building and The steel square; a manual of practical instruction in the art of stair-building and hand-railing, and the manifold uses of the steel square
Dec 11, 2006
Hodgson, Fred. T. (Frederick Thomas), 1836-1919; Williams, Morris
texts
pt. 1. Stair-building, by Fred T. Hodgson and Morris Williams.-- pt. 2. The steel square, by Morris Williams
Topics: Stair building, Carpenters' squares

Vol 1: A practical treatise on the steel square and its application to everyday use : being an exhaustive collection of steel square problems and solutions, "old and new", with many original and useful additions, forming a complete encyclopedia of steel square knowledge, together with a brief history of the square, and description of tables, keys and other aids and attachments
Sep 16, 2010
Hodgson, Fred. T. (Frederick Thomas),

I have these, plus some hard copies, and I can't imagine anything was missed.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #20

I am most certainly going to read a few of those.

I dont know, I kinda feel like I want to be an old school carpenter....hand cutting everything, driving 16s in one lick with a rig axe, using nothing more than a tape and framing sqaure to lay stuff out.

Of course then I go to work and that whole idea goes to well....

Mag77LT and NV83A4 all the way!

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiBoneFramer For This Useful Post:
asevereid (06-04-2016), CharlieDelta (08-30-2016), hdavis (06-05-2016)