Framing Around Existing Basement Door And Under Stairwell - Framing - Contractor Talk

Framing Around Existing Basement Door And Under Stairwell

Old Today, 11:15 AM   #1

Trade: Plumbing

Framing Around Existing Basement Door And Under Stairwell

Slowly finishing my basement. Have some questions about how to frame around outside door and under stairwell. A builder told me to use ferring strips along block but the sill plate sticks out a little more the 1/4” so it would make the wall crooked. Also under stairwell same problem. I’ve attached pictures to show you what I’m talking about
Attached Thumbnails
Framing around existing basement door and under stairwell-image_1555172266294.jpg   Framing around existing basement door and under stairwell-image_1555172299756.jpg   Framing around existing basement door and under stairwell-image_1555172317975.jpg  

Last edited by WHSmike; Today at 11:19 AM. Reason: Photo

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old Today, 11:30 AM   #2

Re: Framing Around Existing Basement Door And Under Stairwell

If I was to frame like I did the rest of the basement the wall would be jogged out too much and look goofy around the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Framing around existing basement door and under stairwell-25876c25-7177-41fe-90aa-0bd252d79969_1555172743157.jpeg   Framing around existing basement door and under stairwell-3918b993-6247-4a2f-b8f7-f6150b11d98a_1555172922275.jpeg   Framing around existing basement door and under stairwell-02db502b-0794-4f21-bbf4-ca9b33f13707_1555172965399.jpeg  

Advertisement

Old Today, 11:43 AM   #3

Trade: Drywall/carpentry
Rewards Points: 42

We frame around them just like you did elsewhere in the basement. The door will have a deeper jamb, no big deal. If you are intent on using furring strips then notch them at the plate that sticks out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 11:44 AM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,842

Just frame it out, and trim-it-out when finishing.

You can adjust framing to have a pine of sheetrock return.

Under the stairs, you nail up some firing strips, etc and sheetrock over them.

Very simple
Old Today, 12:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Where I’m at I need fireblocking on the outside walls. So I was thing of putting a ferring strip across the top and then the rest going down. Any better ideas? I attached a picture to show you what I mean. Just imagine it with ferring strips and not 2x4s
Attached Thumbnails
Framing around existing basement door and under stairwell-a536f53d-bc8b-49b3-be5b-7bc810407e37_1555175752724.jpeg