Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Dens glass with nail gun

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  cocheese46 
#1 ·
Hi Guys, I have a few jobs lined up that are calling for densi glass overall about 165sheets. God I hate this stuff. All of our past jobs only had 5-10sheets so we just glued and screwed. I can't see any reason why I can't shoot it? Any suggestions on what type of gun and nails? The plans spec 2 3/8" galv roofing nails I would thing you would want a lil more? Want to bang it out as fast possible. I quess it would be some of siding gun? Which is fine because I can use it again. Also framing is fire rated lumber.
Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
CITY DECKS INC said:
Hi Guys, I have a few jobs lined up that are calling for densi glass overall about 165sheets. God I hate this stuff. All of our past jobs only had 5-10sheets so we just glued and screwed. I can't see any reason why I can't shoot it? Any suggestions on what type of gun and nails? The plans spec 2 3/8" galv roofing nails I would thing you would want a lil more? Want to bang it out as fast possible. I quess it would be some of siding gun? Which is fine because I can use it again. Also framing is fire rated lumber. Thanks in advance...
I've always used a roofing nailer and just adjust the depth of it on how far it shoots in.

#4 ·
CITY DECKS INC said:
do they make ring shank roofnail? or just use the smooth shank? This is new territory. How are the bostitch's I like there regular stuff also service shop close by so there's no huss / fuss. Thanks.
I get the Prime 1 3/4" coil nails. Never heard the term ring/smooth shank is that just coiled or I call them stick nails sure there are many different terms for them

#7 ·
so the 1 1/2 " for the 1st layer of densi to the studs. standard roofing nailer problem but I have to dbl in a lot of areas for 2/hr fire rating and that's where I need the 2 3/8 or bigger with roofing nail head type and it does not seem that anyone make a gun or nail of that type unless it's loose. PIA...

#8 ·
I thought about this, and I'd try contacting the manufacturer for more specifics on the 2 3/8". If it's fire rated, the specific assembly you're building may already be specd out when it was approved with fastener details. There is also the possibility that a conventional head fastener doubled up would be approved by the manufacturer for the installation - their installation instructions make it look like a roofing nail. but they don't say it's a roofing nail. They may be good with using a single siding nail or double nailing it - I'd ask and get a letter from them.

#9 ·
CITY DECKS INC said:
so the 1 1/2 " for the 1st layer of densi to the studs. standard roofing nailer problem but I have to dbl in a lot of areas for 2/hr fire rating and that's where I need the 2 3/8 or bigger with roofing nail head type and it does not seem that anyone make a gun or nail of that type unless it's loose. PIA...
Will you be putting the dens glass on the wall while on the ground or is this a Reno project on an existing building? You might be able to get drywall screws that length for a quick drive.

#13 ·
It is in mfg sheet. 1 3/4 x 11g flat head nail for single sheet, 2 3/8 for dbl or screws. I got an idea of calling my drywaller to this. It's the same crap just wrapped in fiberglass. There used to slinging those sheets around and got all the screws guns that's needed. Done... I just made room for another phase of this project. Thank you all for the input greatly appreciate the time. Until the next one. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.