Cantilever Floor Truss Incorrectly Placed--ramifications? - Framing - Contractor Talk

Cantilever Floor Truss Incorrectly Placed--ramifications?

Old 07-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Super
Rewards Points: 38

Cantilever Floor Truss Incorrectly Placed--ramifications?

Can floor trusses with roof pitch end have the end rest on the exterior wall or does the roof pitch end need to be cantilevered? Is that roof pitch end strong enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Cantilever Floor Truss incorrectly placed--ramifications?-img_5804.jpg  

Last edited by robi; 07-28-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: photos attachments/title

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,182

Re: Cantilever Floor Truss Incorrectly Placed--ramifications?

Don't your truss drawings show the bearing points?

Advertisement

griz (07-28-2018), Justin Rhoades (07-29-2018), META (07-28-2018), Rio (07-29-2018), ScipioAfricanus (07-28-2018), TheConstruct (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General and Trades
Rewards Points: 5,080

Erm, that looks fubared, especially the (random?) non pitched truss in the field.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Pro

You won't have much of an overhang with that setting.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #5
Pro

Looking at the trusses, no way they can load as set. You likely need new engineering and infield changes on each truss.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 160

Very slim chance that's OK if they aren't designed to bear there. Just looking at them looks like they aren't designed that way. Very small splice plate at the end.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,001

I'd scab on 3/4" plywood on both sides of each truss, lapping ~48" each way from splice. in fill with jack trusses with 2xs... glue and screw. Make sure the HVAC won't butcher them...

LVL rim board for the paranoid.....

Add a metal strap for tension on the top chords over the splice.

have a S.E. check the loads, wall, wind and roof and snow, etc.....,
Old 07-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Pro

We just cut and modified 19' x 16" trusses and nailed and glued 3/4 or better OSB (proper grain as well) 4' on the cut ends, both sides. 2" spacing with .131x2.5" nails. You may need something similar (subject to engineering) plus pass through loading blocks for the walls over that area of they are bearing walls.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
New Guy

Most of you say they can't load as set in my OP, how about this run of trusses in the first picture below on the backside of the garage? Pretty sure they are short and were meant to be overhung like you see in the second picture along 1/2 of the front of the garage (which is next to the boobooed area in the OP). But can they perform placed this way? Are the angled ends just as strong for a bearing point even if for the correct roof overhang they should have been cantilevered?
Attached Thumbnails
Cantilever Floor Truss incorrectly placed--ramifications?-img_5826.jpg   Cantilever Floor Truss incorrectly placed--ramifications?-img_5811.jpg  
Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #10
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 160

Look at the friggin truss drawings for the bearing point. Maybe they were designed this way.
Fouthgeneration (07-29-2018), griz (07-29-2018), mrcat (07-29-2018), Rio (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #11
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2

Who ordered the trusses?

Are they what was ordered?

Hell of a time to question them after they art installed.

sorta the supers job to verify stuff...,
Golden view (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 11:13 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
Most of you say they can't load as set in my OP, how about this run of trusses in the first picture below on the backside of the garage? Pretty sure they are short and were meant to be overhung like you see in the second picture along 1/2 of the front of the garage (which is next to the boobooed area in the OP). But can they perform placed this way? Are the angled ends just as strong for a bearing point even if for the correct roof overhang they should have been cantilevered?
Significant difference, those have double bottom cord as well. Check the truss print and load points.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
New Guy

Okay, so a small confession. I'm the super, but I'm self appointed and unpaid. It's my home and the GC has a great reputation but has way too much faith in his subs. Just so you don't think I'm a typical meddling home owner, thus far I've caught and pointed out:

before slab pour - grade beam rebar cages resting on dirt (and poor clearance to get them off) , incorrect grade beam depth, grade beams don't match up with internal bearing walls in some places, cast in place piers covered with a layer of dirt that should contact the grade beams, rebar ends scraping the forms. Most of this got corrected, I think there still may be some unencapsulated rebar at the base of grade beams in a couple areas ...

After pour -j bolts placed .75-1.25 in from edge of slab for 2x6 and 2x8 sill plates. J bolts placed in door ways. 2x8 wall for 2 story great room was going to be framed 2x6 ( I realized this since there was no treated 2x8 on site for the sill plate), out of square 27 foot wall off on one end by 3.5", 137.5 square feet of secondary story living area that was going to be made roof, an exterior door that was 3.5" off (and makes a big difference since a second story overhang is supposed to cover this door and it's right on the edge of this cantilevered area) and a 12' opening for a slider door on an exterior wall that was supposed to be a glulam beam instead frame as a 2x12 box header.

So, I'm looking at the plans carefully and paying attention and I think I understand a lot more than the average home owner.

Now, I don't have the truss plans. I've asked for them and the head framer said he didn't have any, he's just going by the floor plans which I understand must be baloney. My GC sort of smooths things over but doesn't ever start scrutinizing the work even after multiple issues already noted by myself which needed correcting. I'm just getting tired of pointing things out , and while I have a good track record, on some things I don't know if they are wrong or not, or if wrong, can be easily corrected and they already know about certain things. At the same time, I am scared to let anything go any length of time if I think it might be a mistake.

So on the trusses, I'm just looking for a general 'this looks like an uncorrectable problem (need new trusses), this is a problem but likely a problem that can be on site fixed, or there is no way at all to know without talking to the truss company but you should definitely point it out to the GC, you're not wrong to do so.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:30 AM   #14
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by META View Post
Significant difference, those have double bottom cord as well. Check the truss print and load points.

Those double bottom cord trusses span 27 feet. All trusses in the house are 18" height.

The trusses in the OP are spanning 12 to 16 feet depending on the truss.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 82

As was pointed out in the thread you should be looking at the plans and the truss plans and calcs. That should tell the tale. IYou can also check with the truss company.

Make sure that what is on the plans and the truss calcs match what is in the field.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 26

Are there a drawings of the house? That would tell you quickly if it’s for a cornice over the garage doors or all across the front or whatever. Are the ones not overhanging put on backwards? Did the LY make a mistake and make the front and back the same when only the front needed the roof pitch?
Old 07-29-2018, 11:53 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 26

[quote7249754]

Hell of a time to question them after they art installed.

..,[/quote]

And sheeted
The Following User Says Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:15 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robi View Post
Those double bottom cord trusses span 27 feet. All trusses in the house are 18" height.

The trusses in the OP are spanning 12 to 16 feet depending on the truss.
12-16', that's not so bad then for single bottom cord.

The supply house/truss company can quickly get you the truss layout.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler

Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
mrcat (07-29-2018)