Bidding On Bonus Roofs, And Second Floor - Framing - Contractor Talk

Bidding On Bonus Roofs, And Second Floor

Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 PM   #1
Balding quickly

Trade: The big stuff!
Rewards Points: 588

Bidding On Bonus Roofs, And Second Floor

So basically I am curious if you charge more for your second floor of building, and how do you calculate that compared to first? I am bidding a house now that is 2 stories now but I am a young have only built single stories on my own projects. Also, do you bid differently on the square footage on bonus roofs with bonus trusses? Thanks for your help guys.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
Balding quickly

Re: Bidding On Bonus Roofs, And Second Floor

I just went 5.50 a sq ft. Its a small bonus 212 sq ft, So i may eat it, but Ill know when Im done!

Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 77

Maybe its a regional term but what the heck is a bonus roof/ bonus truss?
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Second floor stock, you will learn fast to stock as much of it as you can without walking up and down the damn stairs. Some things I find easier, like plates slid into a corner of a section on the outside of the building. Drag 'em up. Plywood blows.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General, Electrical, and Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by FramingFanatic View Post
Maybe its a regional term but what the heck is a bonus roof/ bonus truss?
I do believe he is talking about "Attic Trusses".
Attached Thumbnails
Bidding on bonus roofs, and second floor-attictruss.jpg  
Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 PM   #6
Mod / ArchiBuilder

Trade: Design/Build Pergolas & Pavilions
Rewards Points: 11,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
Plywood blows.
You can say that again!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 77

Ply wood sucks even more on a three story house. I remember my first day as a laborour. We were building a 15000 sq foot house and they were sheathing the 3rd floor on my first day so i lifted all those sheats 100ft from the pile, against the second floor, lifted them up and leaned them up against the third floor and passed them up. Then when the floor was sheated that day i had to lift all the studs and the plywood up that day as well. All on a hot summer day. I thought i was gonna die.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Balding quickly

haha, sorry I mean bonus room, I didn't even notice my typo on the thread name, that could have limited my responses. Any of you have any answers about that>?
Old 05-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

About the best I came up with was a ramp and/or platform. We stood the ply up on end so we could grab it from above. It left the top of the ply above the floor level by about 3 or 6".

Hard on the back this way, but it's fast. Might as well rent a boom for a day. We suckered some of the lumber yard boom trucks sometimes, rented on other days. Anything to get out of packing.

One story compared to 2 story, about the only thing that changes is the size of the roof is approx. twice the size of a two story. Plus you don't have an extra set of stairs to do. More packing to second floor, but it all about evens out. Depends on too many factors to really tell you. I added more to a job if it was on a slope. Same job, different slope. Much worse on hillsides.

Bonus room is a little more just for the laying plywood down. Trusses are similar, you still have to raise a truss. May need more bracing, but how you going to justify asking more just for some bracing? Laying ply I can see adding some extra.

You really have to break things down to the simplest forms to figure things out. You just can't say "I frame for $8.00 sf all jobs" Figure your standard items, then if there's an extra part above and beyond than your standard, then you add the value of it.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 05-01-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
Balding quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
About the best I came up with was a ramp and/or platform. We stood the ply up on end so we could grab it from above. It left the top of the ply above the floor level by about 3 or 6".

Hard on the back this way, but it's fast. Might as well rent a boom for a day. We suckered some of the lumber yard boom trucks sometimes, rented on other days. Anything to get out of packing.

One story compared to 2 story, about the only thing that changes is the size of the roof is approx. twice the size of a two story. Plus you don't have an extra set of stairs to do. More packing to second floor, but it all about evens out. Depends on too many factors to really tell you. I added more to a job if it was on a slope. Same job, different slope. Much worse on hillsides.

Bonus room is a little more just for the laying plywood down. Trusses are similar, you still have to raise a truss. May need more bracing, but how you going to justify asking more just for some bracing? Laying ply I can see adding some extra.

You really have to break things down to the simplest forms to figure things out. You just can't say "I frame for $8.00 sf all jobs" Figure your standard items, then if there's an extra part above and beyond than your standard, then you add the value of it.
thanks man, yeah I figured that It would even itself out, I have a lift so the height doesn't hurt to much. I just wasn't sure about the bonus since I haven't built one yet. Mebbe there was something I was missing.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 250

This OP has an excellent question! I've wondered it myself. HOW does a roof factor into square footage in a bid? Up here, @ 18 bucks a square foot for framing would you double it for the top floor with the roof? I've heard some guys stay on the same square footage rate for all floors, but i cant believe that.Some roofs are killer.

Advertisement