Ballon Framing A Gable Wall. - Framing - Contractor Talk

Ballon Framing A Gable Wall.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
Carpenter/Finisher

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,424

Ballon Framing A Gable Wall.

So out west here we dont stick frame roofs very often. Usually you build the walls and install the trusses per the engineer's plan unless there is a huge vaulted ceiling in the main room.

Like these:

What we usually do with those is lay them out on the ground. Works out fine.

I am building a shed for my backyard and wanted to build a balloon framed wall like a drop truss. So basically 3 1/2" lower than the top of my rafters. I drew it up on sketchup to help me figure out what the dimensions for everything would be.

Doing this just got me to thinking. Is there some quick formula or method i havent come across that would help accomplish this task but doesnt require me drawing a picture on the floor or on sketchup?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 AM   #2
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,692

Re: Ballon Framing A Gable Wall.

You looking for each stud length?

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 01:28 AM   #3
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

You can get stud lengths using a 16" offset and the roof pitch in CM. I think BuildCalc has a rake function built in.

When I was doing this...............I drew EVERYTHING.

I sometimes got a bit crazy, but I have everything I could possibly need.

The trick is to dimension along the raked plate where the studs intersect so it all fits. The tighter you mark and cut it, the more it "self-trues".

Last edited by wallmaxx; 07-05-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:16 AM   #4
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,382

With a construction calc, type in your roof pitch and enter 16" for "run" (assuming 16" O.C. Spacing). If you hit "rise" you'll know how much to add/subtract from each successive stud length. If you hit "diag" you'll know The distance between each stud on the rafter.
Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CENTERLINE MV For This Useful Post:
Framer87 (03-21-2015), john5mt (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 02:52 AM   #5
Carpenter/Finisher

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
You looking for each stud length?
Not necessarily each stud length. More so overall height, and height of the material at an angle.

97 1/8" tall wall.
12' wide
7/12 pitch.
2x8 rafters

What's the height of your peak? My struggle has been calculating the height of the rafter at an angle. Once you figure out that number the rest of the numbers should be easy to figure i think.

Now that i think about it. If you take the inverse of your pitch and apply it to your rafter size as the rise I think that would help with figuring out the height. Just need to punch it in the construction master:

2x8...7 1/4" .....

So for a 7/12 pitch a 7 1/4" rafter should be 8 3/8" tall? and a 2x4 is 4" tall?

Which means if you have a 12' wide wall built with 92 5/8" studs...Your peak should be 12' 1 3/16".

I think

Last edited by john5mt; 03-21-2015 at 03:05 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:54 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Framer
Rewards Points: 16

I've always just snapped it out. A line straight across at 97 1/8, a line vertical at the center, 6'. 6'x7 =42" snap the rakes. Mark up 3 3/4" (71/4-3 1/2) parallel with the rakes. Then just cut your 29 deg tops and run the bottoms wild. Square up off the bottom line + 1 1/2", snap a line on the studs a ns cut. Nail on bottom plate. Presto!
Railman (03-21-2015), Texas Wax (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
I've always just snapped it out. A line straight across at 97 1/8, a line vertical at the center, 6'. 6'x7 =42" snap the rakes. Mark up 3 3/4" (71/4-3 1/2) parallel with the rakes. Then just cut your 29 deg tops and run the bottoms wild. Square up off the bottom line + 1 1/2", snap a line on the studs a ns cut. Nail on bottom plate. Presto!
That's how we always did it.
Sometimes the real deal is better than "Brain Masterbat'n".
The Following User Says Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
kiteman (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 1,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
You do plug up the floor for a bit this way really depends how many guys you got to keep moving. Getting comfortable with a CM has greatly increased our speed on rake walls. The whole thing will be precut and layed out and when we get to it we just lay it down and frame it and out of the way. Doesn't take any longer than a regular wall.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #9
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
That's how we always did it.
Sometimes the real deal is better than "Brain Masterbat'n".
I totally agree with this. I don't use a CM for anything, although I actually own two of them. Snapping out the wall takes but a few minutes. I can visually see and know the accuracy of it. It does take up space, but often we will frame it in one area and then lift it with the forklift and move it where it goes.

Easy Gibson
Old 03-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by john5mt View Post
Not necessarily each stud length. More so overall height, and height of the material at an angle.

97 1/8" tall wall.
12' wide
7/12 pitch.
2x8 rafters

What's the height of your peak? My struggle has been calculating the height of the rafter at an angle. Once you figure out that number the rest of the numbers should be easy to figure i think.

Now that i think about it. If you take the inverse of your pitch and apply it to your rafter size as the rise I think that would help with figuring out the height. Just need to punch it in the construction master:

2x8...7 1/4" .....

So for a 7/12 pitch a 7 1/4" rafter should be 8 3/8" tall? and a 2x4 is 4" tall?

Which means if you have a 12' wide wall built with 92 5/8" studs...Your peak should be 12' 1 3/16".

I think
8'1 1/8" + 8 3/8"- 4 1/16" = 8' 5 7/16" + 42" slope gain = 11'11 7/16. But you really should put a seat cut on those rafters so it will be less

Last edited by Framer87; 03-21-2015 at 08:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Framer87 For This Useful Post:
john5mt (03-23-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,035

If you're just trying to figure out how high the peak is, just draw out the layers of the roof structure running horizontal, then run a line through it at the roof pitch and measure along the line. Add that to your wall height and rise.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 430

I'm in the middle of this issue at the moment. In discussions with the truss manufacturer, one of the things you have to specify is heel height. If you're going to be building your own balloon framed end gable walls, you'll also need to know what the heel height on the trusses will be. Heel height is specified to allow a designer to add height above the wall plates for insulation. It can be anywhere from 0" (bottom of rafter touching the plate) to as much as 18" or more.
Attached Thumbnails
Ballon Framing a Gable wall.-heel-height.jpg  

Last edited by txgencon; 03-22-2015 at 05:59 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to txgencon For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-22-2015), Joasis (03-23-2015), Railman (03-23-2015), wallmaxx (03-29-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:54 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,956

Especially if you decide to "barge" the rafter to allow for rake framing.

We always snap the lines. Some old school ways are simply easier then trying to transfer the numbers to the wall being built.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 03-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
I'm in the middle of this issue at the moment. In discussions with the truss manufacturer, one of the things you have to specify is heel height. If you're going to be building your own balloon framed end gable walls, you'll also need to know what the heel height on the trusses will be.
That's an excellent point!
I remember quite a few jobs put on hold until trusses showed up. I just didn't trust the verbal numbers!.
Joe
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 AM   #15
Pro

Rewards Points: 746

https://youtu.be/HAdEnz2eg_E

https://youtu.be/GsleZFnCuSA

We always snap out full size and go from there. If you have trusses, we eliminate the gable truss and frame the rakewall. We go 1/4" less in height than the heel we give the truss company.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10166...425?banner=pwa
The Following User Says Thank You to Timuhler For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (03-25-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timuhler View Post
https://youtu.be/HAdEnz2eg_E

https://youtu.be/GsleZFnCuSA

We always snap out full size and go from there. If you have trusses, we eliminate the gable truss and frame the rakewall. We go 1/4" less in height than the heel we give the truss company.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10166...425?banner=pwa
Just curious. Do you then pad/fill/furr up to match or do you call 1/4" close enough?
Old 03-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #17
Pro

Rewards Points: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgencon View Post
Just curious. Do you then pad/fill/furr up to match or do you call 1/4" close enough?
It seems that no matter how well we cut everything, it grows. The framer who taught me used to say that and now experience confirms it.

We stick our roofs, so we'll measure the actual heelstand when the walls are all up and we are usually right where we want to be on the rakewall because we built it a little lower.

I find when we truss the roof too, they are always an 1/8th higher, so in that case we built the rake right at our numbers and it works out. We have had to pack the top of the rakewall before, and that's easy. We get 1/4" ply. I think that's happened once.

What used to happen is that we'd have a rake wall taller than the roof, so we'd shim the first 3 or 4 rafters and feather it. But building them 1/4" lower has eliminated that problem.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Timuhler For This Useful Post:
Framer87 (03-27-2015), kiteman (03-27-2015), Railman (03-28-2015), txgencon (03-27-2015), Warren (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timuhler View Post
It seems that no matter how well we cut everything, it grows. The framer who taught me used to say that and now experience confirms it.

We stick our roofs, so we'll measure the actual heelstand when the walls are all up and we are usually right where we want to be on the rakewall because we built it a little lower.

I find when we truss the roof too, they are always an 1/8th higher, so in that case we built the rake right at our numbers and it works out. We have had to pack the top of the rakewall before, and that's easy. We get 1/4" ply. I think that's happened once.

What used to happen is that we'd have a rake wall taller than the roof, so we'd shim the first 3 or 4 rafters and feather it. But building them 1/4" lower has eliminated that problem.
You do that just on sticked roofs or on trussed roofs as well? My experience same as yours on sticked, however for trussed always plan numbers. Always build rake walls before trusses ever make it to site and 9 out of 10 times a 7 7/16" heel will come out as 7 9/16"+. Always hang our eave fascia with a level off of the top of wall and hang that 1/8" higher than book numbers as well. Planes in everytime that way.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:47 PM   #19
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 6,741

Always easier to add if you are a little short than it is to subtract.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
JT Wood (03-28-2015)
Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #20
Forming and Framing

Trade: Shell builder
Rewards Points: 3,582

I usually draw it up on sketch up real quick or snap out using 2 rafters as guide lines. Similar to Tim i double plate it and leave notches in the cap plate for the occasionally outlook laying flat. If i can plan it the night before i wil draw it. easy to measure.. make a cut list and send anyone off to cut it. A get a lot of doubts but... never had one off more then 1/8"

I hate, hate hate having to do infill on gables afterward.
Attached Thumbnails
Ballon Framing a Gable wall.-img_0231.jpg  

Advertisement

http://www.proicf.com
http://instagram.com/instagrauds