Sometimes You Gotta Love DIY TV And Homeowners - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Sometimes You Gotta Love DIY TV And Homeowners

Old 06-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: cabinet installer
Rewards Points: 150

Sometimes You Gotta Love DIY TV And Homeowners

Got a call this morning from a couple I had redone the cabinetry in their master bath about 2 years ago . The husband had tried to run 400 ft of crown molding this past weekend after they watched a DIY show on how to install crown . They are having a family reunion this upcoming weekend and he spent 6 hours installing 3 pieces of crown over the weekend . Bought all 12 ft lengths at Lowes and paid over $2.00 a linear ft for 3 5/8 paint grade crown .

So I stop over after work and look at the mess he made , thankfully he gave up . Measure it all out and use his saw to show him how I will cope the mitres and held up a scrap piece I had coped .
He say WOW ! when can you start . I say hold on let me get a price together for you and I do . I tell him if he takes his Lowes molding back I can save him about $400 on materials (even with my markup ) I get this crown primed for about .58 a linear ft . I shoot him a labor price of $2.00 a linear ft and he says again ,when can you start .

It will take me about 6 or 7 hours to do this install . 8 ft ceilings , simple runs and it's about 15 minutes from my lumber yard . Luckily I had a free day tommorrow so it worked out perfectly for me . Make a quick $1,000.00 + plus and have a nice easy day mostly in the AC . No caulking or puttying from me and I will get him primed molding to help him out a little bit .

All because DIY had a special on installing crown molding . Gotta love it . I had to convince him I could get it all up tommorrow . He was having a hard time believing that. I assured him if I didn't finish I'd come back Wednsday to finish . LOL I''l be done before 3:00 easy .

Sometimes DIY TV can be a good thing . I think I could of hit him for another $400.00 but I didn't want to get greedy all because he got in over his head . I'm an honest guy and I only have to pull down about 40 ft of what he installed .
They also want to talk about some other projects they need done . I prefer new construction and try and limit my remodel work .It's just my preference but I cannot turn down easy money like this. He even offered to pay me upfront but I don't work that way . He can pay me in full when I finished .

Oh yeah don't want to get into the cope vs mitre discussion as I've seen a couple of recent threads on this topic but in this case ( I prefer coping all softwood moldings though not hardwood moldings on cabinets ) the impression it left on the homeowner was worth it alone !! Not to mention I think it is the better way by far .
The Following User Says Thank You to cabinet runner For This Useful Post:
RAbraker (06-26-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement