Skirt Board On Curved Stairs - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Skirt Board On Curved Stairs

Old 07-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,098

Skirt Board On Curved Stairs

How would you address this change in pitch on the first three steps for the skirt board? This is stain grade, 1/4" RO.

The angle is consistent from tread #4 and up.

If anyone has any tips, this is my first curved stairs 👍🏻

Skirt board on curved stairs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436217403.205654.jpg

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 810

Re: Skirt Board On Curved Stairs

I had the same issue on a set of elliptical curved stairs a few months back. We had to introduce two pitch changes on the outside radius and at the inside radius we had to keep the same pitch and the width of the material just changed. It was a funky situation that I think the architect hoped would just magically work itself out. I'm not sure it's possible to not use a pitch break with material that doesn't flex, even if it did flex, it would dive and the pitch would still change.Skirt board on curved stairs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436222892.217550.jpgSkirt board on curved stairs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436223021.122500.jpgSkirt board on curved stairs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436223092.811582.jpg

I thought I had some better pictures, but behind that column on the outside radius it changes pitch twice. You can see on the inside how the curb height changes drastically in order for us to force the pitch.

Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 06:05 PM   #3
Pro

Rewards Points: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
How would you address this change in pitch on the first three steps for the skirt board? This is stain grade, 1/4" RO.

The angle is consistent from tread #4 and up.

If anyone has any tips, this is my first curved stairs 👍🏻

Attachment 202218

Also, it's hard to tell what's going on, but is that 2nd tread depth correct? It looks much narrower at the wall than the other treads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2015, 06:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 416

Based on the inside Stringer, it appears to be a single point radius stair. I would be inclined to say that the treads were not laid out correctly. Short of tearing out the staircase and starting over you're going to have to make the skirt material much wider and then bend a batten board to get a somewhat graceful curve, then plane to the line.
JesseCocozza (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #5
Contractor

the 1st and 2nd treads are 'regular', IIRC 11" left and right. The 3rd begins the curved left side and the 4th and above have the same size (~11" on right and ~22" on left). In addition, the 1st and 2nd treads are free standing, looks like the others were framed up with the wall. All treads have an 11" depth on the inside, it is solid and pretty consistent.

There will be a 1" panel cap on top.

thanks for the pictures
Old 07-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 416

Pitch change occurs when the tread depth changes. For a smooth curve it is desirable for the change in tread depth to either not change or change slowly. If I read it correctly the change in tread depth goes from 11" to 22" in a single riser. That is going to be a very dramatic change. Image that instead of being curved the stringer was straight. This will give you an idea of what the change will look like.

Another way to see it is to take a cereal box and cut a scaled down version of the stair on it. It makes little difference to the pitch change if the cardboard is wrapped around a can or left flat.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #7
Contractor

the change in depth goes from
#1 11
#2 11
#3 16.5
#4 22
#5 22
#6 and above =22

I'm wondering if it's typical to bring the straight line from the curve out (treads #4 and above) or to blend in the line above #1-#3. Not sure if that makes sense (?)
Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 AM   #8
3rd Generation

Rewards Points: 391

I have not dealt with this situation before, but this reminds me of photos I had taken at my friend's apartment in Cambridge Ma. These aren't curved, but I liked the way they handled the pitch change with the winders.

Skirt board on curved stairs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436266036.103663.jpgSkirt board on curved stairs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436266062.314461.jpgSkirt board on curved stairs-imageuploadedbycontractortalk1436266086.547844.jpg
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 1,662

IMO - No brainier to just average the landing angle using the 1st and 3rd nose. Forget about the 'differences', you are over thinking this. Using the 4th nose to 1st will draw much attention to the "wonky" nature of how the treads at the curve transitioned to straight wall.

Need to find the interesection of the two pcs that allows for full coverage in the throat (tread back at riser).

There are a few perceptual tweaks that can be made to the landing angle, but won't advise on those. Internet and not being there, customer preferences don't mix well.
Attached Thumbnails
Skirt board on curved stairs-untitled-1.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
Railman (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 09:35 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick R View Post
I have not dealt with this situation before, but this reminds me of photos I had taken at my friend's apartment in Cambridge Ma. These aren't curved, but I liked the way they handled the pitch change with the winders.

Attachment 202546Attachment 202554Attachment 202562
Your pix look pleasing but should they have radiused the skirtboard corners, two of which are visible in the first pic? A ~1" radius might give a different look but it's hard to say.

Last edited by GettingBy; 07-07-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 585

Tread #3 at the outer wall, has the same bigger run as the winder portion of stair. It should have the same run as the lower two. The reason it's wrong is that the #3 tread is past the tangent point of the curve. Look at the inner wall. There is a point where the straight transitions to the curve. #3 tread belongs on the straight wall.

When changed, the curved winder noses will be one even slope, & the lower 3 treads will be on different even slope. If your trying to totally eliminate a transition point in the grain, I don't see it happening, unless you want to laminate 1/2" tall strips.

Missed 2 previous posts, due to long interrupting phone call!
Texas has it covered!

Last edited by Railman; 07-07-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Contractor

great advice fellows, thanks. should have after pictures next week!

Advertisement