Shapers? - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Shapers?

Old 11-14-2009, 02:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Shapers?

What brand of shapers would you guys recommended,I'm looking to buy one for my father?.Also what is it gonna run me I've looked online at some delta's that are about 2,000.

Is this a decent price?,pls forgive me I'm just a humble framer

My father is wanting to mill his own molding crown etc......Is this the machine to use?

Last edited by scottalan; 11-14-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Re: Shapers?

Hi Scott, Get your self a GRIZZLY tool catalog.

They have a huge selection of shapers and molding planers.

Shapers are much like over sized routers they are a fine and very useful tool--However for flat molding like baseboard and clown molding a molding planer is better.

Molding planers are much like a surface planer --Power rollers,for even feeding--Adjustable guides for perfect alignment.--Changeable blades.

You need to find out a bit more about his intended use--If it's flat moldings a molding planer may well be the best.

I have several of Grizzly's bigger machines-They are so much better than I had expected.

The customer service is wonderful ,They also have a machine shop to do repairs.

Good luck on the quest.--MIKE--

Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: building
Rewards Points: 150

i use a jet brand shaper. i make t&g siding ,doors,mouldings,glue joint boards for cabinets etc.the bits can be spendy but they pay for themselves fast. never had a problem with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Cabinetmaker

Trade: Cabinetmaker
Rewards Points: 500

I also have a Jet 2hp shaper. Great machine; I use Grizzly cutters cause they are quite reasonable for the occasional use. IF your father plans on running full time on the shaper with real production runs then Grizzly cutters will "knot" do it :}:}
You will have to buy professional ones, they are costly but turn out cheap cause of the amount of material you can run before they need to be sharpened.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 150

Weve got an SCMI, a Powermatic, and a Delta

The SCMI is set up with a powerfeed, and we use that for most everything, including crown.

The powermatic is set up with one of those air powered clamping miter guages, and we use that for cutting the tongue on our rails for doors

The Delta also has a powerfeed, and is always set up to run the bead for our beaded face frames.

Last edited by HitchC&L; 11-25-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #6

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

If your going to run a raised panel cutter, especially with a backcutter, I'd recommend 5hp or more. There are also quite a few used machines online if you want to consider that. The brands listed above all have good reputations, I might also consider a Davis and Wells. Just be sure to get a single phase motor, unless he has access to 3phase. Personally I'd stay away from the phase converters.
You really want a minimum of a 1" spindle, preferably a 1 1/4" and you won't have to bush some cutters. Also if you go used, cutters are often included. That often makes for a heck of a deal. Power feed is awesome to have, and makes for a safer machine, sometimes you'll find a fully loaded machine.
Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,858

Only thing I have experience with is a SCMI with a power feed.

THe power feed is the ticket if you ask me.

Advertisement