Router Table - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Router Table

Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
DN Construction

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 150

Router Table

I am in the market for a good router table. I tried the search to find other posts like mine but after pages of searching I could not find any good info on them. It seems a lot of guys make their own verses buying one. I am not opposed to either one, I just figured I would go to the right place for the info on them. I think that a table would be very beneficial to my work and any information on these tables would be great appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Dave

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Re: Router Table

This topic has been talked about a lot and these guys have great input.
There are a lot of variables that go into making a decision on this tool purchase

Some of the questions that come up are:
purpose
portability
cost
multi function
how often is it used

I use a Portercable 3-1/4 hp mounted in a Rousseau Table saw extension
Portable
easy to set up

There will be many other setups and personal preferences but this has worked well for me.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to tcleve4911 For This Useful Post:
William James (09-21-2010)
Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Building and remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,738

There's sooooooooo many options here. Options that go from $200 to $1500. If it's not something you use a lot I'd start w/ the aluminum top Bosche that HD sells for I think $180. That's the first table I had and it was great for a long time. The nice thing about going this route is that you'll get well aquainted w/ the ins and outs of just what you want w/out too much out of pocket. It may even work for you forever. The 2 things I didn't like about this particular table were that it was a bit too small and I couldn't change the router mounting plate to a Jessem mast-r-lift (it has a weird size plate). But I didn't figure that out until I had already used the crap out of it for a couple years. Then I knew what I wanted and building one for myself was my best option.

I think what tcleve has in that pic is a Rousseau that incorporates your portable table saw and makes a pretty sweet collapsable work station w/ a router table. That's a pretty sweet setup too. I've never used it but the idea of it is awesome

Last edited by mattsk8; 09-17-2010 at 12:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mattsk8 For This Useful Post:
tcleve4911 (09-17-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

a few months back i was looking into buying one, but opted to build. i think i paid roughly $60 for parts and stock to build it and its based on the kreg design
Attached Thumbnails
Router Table-roter-table.jpg   Router Table-router2.jpg   Router Table-router3.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
DN Construction

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 150

Thanks. I would be using it a lot to make J-channel out of Azek. There is a contractor that always seems to have me to all his outside Azek, Radius garage doors, Azek window surrounds. Ever since a few years back when I picked up from a photo to make J channel out of the back of the Azek thats all he wants now. I could not agree more it makes a much cleaner line than having to back up the Azek with a J. I have been either double cutting the straight lengths with a table saw, or using my router to take off the right amount by hand specially on the radius pieces. The router would be much better if it was on a table and I had a fence on it that I could just run the Azek thru. After seeing what else I could use the table for I think its time. Like stated above, just a basic job site table would be great for now. I saw that adjustable height base plate and that seems like it would make life really nice as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Woodworkbykirk did you cut a hole in that fence?
Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,838

Uh, dado blade set for a table saw.

My bosch will accept one.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 31

I watched an episode of "New Yankee Workshop" and Norm was building a router table. I sent away for the plans and built one just like it. It works great now for over 10 years. Dust collection and a quality fence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pakfan For This Useful Post:
Willie T (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
topsail's trimcat

i was still putting it together when i took that pic, which i took with my phone. battery was dieing.. but yes, i idid make a cutout for bits which i made with my 2 1/8 hole saw
Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642

Something you may want to consider is a RLFT ..... I know it's some $$$$ but ... your table... thats a start.. your going to expand ................ My hat goes off to you for you iginuitynot bad But you should get the "mechanics" first... THEN build your table... and you may want to consider dropping that inside of a leaf on a TS ~ that is actually IMPO ... the best way to go.. even 2 if you like.. Quick Lift and percise gauging...

B.
Attached Thumbnails
Router Table-woodpecker-prl-v2-red-wheel-8157.jpg  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

If your just doing Dados/rabits....you might want to check out a dado blade set...faster and lasts longer....quieter as well.

If you want a portable router table for basic stuff...build you own...

If you want a router table for your shop....build you own....there are TONS of things you can do with a router table...having a good one makes life easier...

Check this place out...I have used them for a few things....You do pay for the plans, but they are great plans you get...most have cut sheets...so you all you have to do, is buy what they tell you to buy....cut where they tell you to cut and assemble...its the fastest way to do this...no designing...no failed attemps....no wasted time and material.

I use this for a router...

Thats right, its a Craftsman Professional....I got the set for $200 and I am damn well pleased with it...very pleased. I mounted the fixed base in my table (which is not a super nice one for the shop..have yet to build that), and kept the other two bases for free hand work. I prefer the D handel most all the time anyway.

With the ability to remove the motor, bit changes are SUPER easy...just release the lever, pull the motor, swap the bit and re-stall the motor...no akward in the table changes.

To edit my post here...get a router KIT if you don't have the need for a 3hp or larger router (panel raising...which would be better done on a shaper anyway...and you could get a shaper used for the price of a 3 hp router and get better results)
....Bosch makes good router kits....and I heard DeWalt ain't too bad either. But for $200 the 2 1/4hp, Variable speed, soft start, bla bla bla Craftsman Pro set with 3 bases and every now and again they throw in a free trim router ain't bad....

Last edited by TBFGhost; 09-20-2010 at 09:04 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
dnconstruction (09-21-2010), PrestigeR&D (09-20-2010)
Old 09-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #12
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Thumbs up

Awsome set Nice TBF
B
The Following User Says Thank You to PrestigeR&D For This Useful Post:
TBFGhost (09-20-2010)
Old 09-21-2010, 02:43 AM   #13
Dan

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I keep procrastinating building mine. I will hopefully get to it this winter.

It's definitely an investment if you want it done right. the lift that prestige showed is great and really should be included on any serious router table. Adjusting the depth from underneath is a pita.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
....and I heard DeWalt ain't too bad either. But for $200 the 2 1/4hp, Variable speed, soft start, bla bla bla Craftsman Pro set with 3 bases and every now and again they throw in a free trim router ain't bad....
Bought this at Home Depot $99 last year

Router Table-tools-057.jpg
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Deck
Rewards Points: 1,754

For a portable router table, I would look at the Triton routers. Great price, and have built in bit height adjustment from above the table. Just drill a hole in the plate (or top) for the winder to drop into. I have used the 2-1/4HP in my shop table for a few years now with no complaints. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 3HP now that it also has above the table bit adjustment.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
topsail's trimcat

yah, i was reading into quick lift systems but im not sure what hardware i need for my milwaukee router.

i have a large router table out at the shop which is 24" x 36 and heavy as hell , the one i built is a portable jobby.

i dont get into too much stuff that requires a advanced setup. in the last year ive trimmed 4 places which got a simple 3/8 roundover treatment to mdf, i was getting tired of hand routing on site
Old 09-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

I started with a Bosch with fine adjustments and just added to it as needed, ended up with a 6X8 table at one point with two other stations. I've since downsized.

A guy across the street went for a big CNC router and I've been using him for my 'boilerplate' stuff, faster and cheaper.

Albert Einstein
Old 09-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #18
topsail's trimcat

in regards to hp and large bits, i have a liquor cabinet to build for someone. its going to be custom but im not sure what species of wood yet. so might need to mill up my own profiles, im probably going to get a chair rail bit or something similar which is a larger bit, would my 1 3/4" hp milwaukee handle something like that or should i try to get my hands on a 3 hp to use
Old 09-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #19
Finish Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC View Post
Bought this at Home Depot $99 last year

Attachment 36261

Lies.... Nice find
Old 09-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
Finish Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
in regards to hp and large bits, i have a liquor cabinet to build for someone. its going to be custom but im not sure what species of wood yet. so might need to mill up my own profiles, im probably going to get a chair rail bit or something similar which is a larger bit, would my 1 3/4" hp milwaukee handle something like that or should i try to get my hands on a 3 hp to use

A router really isn't that great of an option when it comes to milling larger ( read over 1 1/2") profiles. I did some 2 1/4" crown once...it took three passes, and I still had some chatter marks which I had to sand out. It was paint-grade and poplar to boot...

Maybe for such a small run it MIGHT MIGHT work...but you far better off seeing what you can order from your yard, or start looking around (IE GOOGLE SEARCH) for hardwood suppliers in your area....some will also mill it up for you using molders which will put out a MUCH nicer cut...

EDIT:

The more I think about it...the more I say avoid doing that.

If you really want to try it...get a smaller profile bit (read smaller is cheaper) and start experimenting to see how you like your results.

This is where I got my bit from....and read this instruction. The whole idea is stock that is too wide and leaving a small flat at the top and bottom of the profile allows you to make multiple passes...which is a MUST...esp with your smaller router.
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...7crownarch.pdf

Advertisement

Last edited by TBFGhost; 09-21-2010 at 08:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
PrestigeR&D (09-22-2010)