Round Starter Newel Post Anchor Systems? - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Round Starter Newel Post Anchor Systems?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting and Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 460

Round Starter Newel Post Anchor Systems?

Long story short?

Looking to see if anyone knows where to get a round starter newel post anchoring system for the sides of the post (not one that anchors through the center). I like to use the 4Js system on my square posts, hoping in the last few years someone has invented the same type of anchoring system for the old style round newels....

Now... the long story for those who want additional info...

Ran my business for 10+ years, shut it down about 8 years ago or so and reopened it in July of this year. I am finding out a LOT of advancements have been made during that time thankfully..

Have a homeowner who has the old style round newel on a starter step under the basic 6010 red oak handrail. During some renovations someone cracked the volute and made the starter newel very loose. This is the old round style from top to bottom of the newel post, and has the large wood dowel that anchors it to the starter step base for support and stability.

Once I got involved on it I found a ton of problems that added to the starter newel being loose... some jack leg hack assumed the only was to put a starter step in was to cut off all the stringers were the rise is going to the second step... so the stringers were just free floating in mid air basically, only being supported by the outside skirt board and nailed into the studs on the side that attaches to the wall.... So I fixed all of that the best I could (customer did not want to tear it all out and put new stringers in). A 300 pound man (homeowner) can now jump up and down on the starter step and the second step and neither of them budge a fraction of an inch.

I strengthened the starter step base where the metal screw end of the dowel goes, I drilled out the end of the newel and went with a slightly larger dowel, glued it all in and tightened it all as tight as it would go. I even went the additional step of drilling holes, screwing and gluing the step treads in and plugging them with red oak plugs. This still leaves more play in the starter newel than I like from left to right when standing on the step. It is sound and nobody will fall over it but is shakier than I like to leave folks with.

I tired to talk them into another newel post but they are for some sentimental reason attached to this specific one *shrugs* .. it seems their kids have wrote on it over the years and they want to keep it around...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: FI
Rewards Points: 704

Re: Round Starter Newel Post Anchor Systems?

Got any pics?

Advertisement

Old 12-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #3
Pro

Nah.. sure don't. I ran across the situation before finding this site but do have to go back later in the week once hardwood flooring goes down to run shoe etc. Will definitely take some then and post 'em
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 929

The simplest fix would be a 1/2" x 6" double dowel screw.

It looks like a double sided lag bolt without the hex head. Just glue/plug tread solid with matching wood. Drill a 3/16" plumb hole into the tread. Then bore tread to 7/16" using the 3/16" bore as a guide. Do the bottom of the newel the same way. Using vise grips on the bolt, pre thread the bottom of the newel. Remove bolt. Put some glue into the tread hole, & thread bolt into tread to the center of bolt. Put some glue into newel bore, & thread newel onto bolt. You may have to adjust the bolt threads a little to orient the newel faces to the position wanted.

The other way would be to repair the original newel dowel. Just bore the newel bottom to the original newel dowel size, & reglue a new dowel into newel. If you make a guide block on a drill press, you can do accurate end bores by doing a 3/16" guide hole, & then follow up with big bore. The big bit will follow the 3/16 pilot bore.

Joe
Joe
The Following User Says Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
Lugnut1968 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
Pro

Thanks man. That is/was a good idea. I went a slightly different route though... I cheated lol

I took some of the 4js square post anchors to a local fabricator I know. Told him I needed them to go around a 3" round newel post. Came back that afternoon and he had them bent haha. I guess he had to heat them up pretty good. Screwed them to the newel post, anchored it. Cut a dado in the back of the flexible 623 base, nailed it in place and gel stained over it. Dang post don't budge now