Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Not my crowning screw up?

9K views 63 replies 24 participants last post by  91782 
#1 ·
I'm trying to put the final piece of crown on after someone else couldn't finish. I think he just went with 45, but ended up at like a 55 degree angle somehow. Anyway, am I correct in saying his cut is too short on the long point?

His is on the left, my scrap on the right. Great part is the other side is exactly opposite.

I don't do much is any crown, but I don't think this is my screw up?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See less See more
#5 ·
Are those both from the same millwork? If you're is mitered at 45. And his was a different angle then there would be a gap in some of that. So since the miter touches all the way through. And only half of the profile matches. I wonder if it is from two different killings? Like trying to match up a Ford engine to a Chevy transmission?

#8 ·
That's what I was gonna say. I think the spring angle is different.

Most of the time, it's 38 degrees.

Unless you (they) cut it flat with a compound miter saw, they had to cut it at its' proper spring angle. Unless they built a fence and paid attention to detail, it could conceivably be at just about any angle.

Delta

#10 ·
It was the same milling. I don't think he worried about spring angle at all.
One side was 55 degrees and the other was like 35 degrees if I had to guess at a standard angle and spring angle was off. He quit because the corners weren't 90 degrees.

I ended up having to work my way into it on both sides, then we were short material by 18 inches.

It was close enough to caulk, which I can live with in this case.

#12 ·
If the left side is what you are installing then you can cope it to fit. It will have to be a scribe cope, not just a 45 cope.

If you are putting the right side in, then brotha, you got some issues.

#16 ·
I suspect the previous "carpenter" didn't use a compound miter saw. He held the crown in the miter saw, the way it would go on the wall, and cut it.
What he didn't do, was hold it at the correct spring angle.

It can be done. I've done it, alot. The most important thing is to keep it held at the right height. Cutting a piece of scrap, to use as a height guide, works well.
And of course cope it.

Since you are done, it doesn't matter now. I probably would have torn off the existing, and started over.
Who knows, if I were there, maybe I would have done what you did.

We really won't know the best route, until we hear from Tipi.

#20 ·
I never caulk more than 16 inches. I'm not a hack.

It was a quick fixit job for a previous customer that turned into a small mess. She didn't want to pull it down, so we did what we could. It'll look fine with a bit of fill and sanding.

I still need to go back and put up the last small piece when she gets it. It will take longer to set up than to do it. That's one reason I usually avoid these types of jobs.

#22 ·
One of two things happened. The cut was not made at 45 or the crown slipped and when he cut it it wasn't nested properly at the spring angle.

It could be both. I usually make the crown I'm installing and it has wide flats to balance the crown on the chopsaw. Lumber yard crown is usually pretty thin and scant on the flats. It's best to have a stop on the chopsaw to align the spring angle properly and consistently.

#24 ·
The bevels wouldn't match like that if one pc was cut right side up.

#26 ·
Copemaster.

I've always wanted one but for the amount of crown work I do it's probably not worth it. But if I ever come into so disposable cash, it's on the list.

#27 · (Edited)
If you don't have or want to expend the coin, a table saw and a steady hand does the same thing and doesn't require loading and unloading... starts doing it on MDF a while ago because coping MDF sucks...

MDF profiles take about 10-15 seconds, wood takes 30-60 seconds depending on the profile if you don't want to cope... some also use a grinder, but the table saw is more stable for more pronounced profiles... but there are pro's and con's to everything...

#29 ·
This second page has a lot of CSI work for one crappy joint.

My favorite job like this I did was I showed up to bat cleanup for a HO who had installed everything except the last foot going into the corner, on every corner. "Corners are the hard part." I waited for him to leave, then went out and bought full runs. I can't remember what I did with what I took down. Hopefully brought it to a slightly smaller house and used it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.