Material Or Labor? - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Material Or Labor?

Old 03-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,748

Material Or Labor?

I know there have been hundreds of threads referring to labor costs, and I have read all of them, so I wont be asking again. What I am wondering is how is caulk, nails, screws, blades, ...etc. accounted for? Is that factored into your labor cost, or is that added to the material costs?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Material Or Labor?

If you are doing general home remodeling, and occasionally have to bid a job that requires these items, I would say you should add it to material costs and mark it up just like you would all other materials....maybe more since they are cheap (sliding scale).

If all you do is moldings, and you have to keep the stuff in stock all the time, I can see an argument for calling it overhead. Either way it gets charged to the customer.

The way I do my proposals, it wouldn't really matter how I figured these items, as long as they don't get left out. I do a broken down estimate for my records, but when I give a proposal to the customer, all that is on it is a detailed scope of work and one bottom line price.

If you are doing ultra detailed job-costing, I would say to call these items materials.

Advertisement