Made In The USA?? - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Made In The USA??

Old 05-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Trim contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Made In The USA??

It seems like everything I pick up is made in China. Most, if not all of my tools are. I don't know about you guys but I'm tired of it. The stuff looks good, but it breaks too quickly. Are there any tools made in the US any more? If so, list them here so we can support them. I have always believed that american made tools are second to none. They certainly are far superior to chinese garbage.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Historic Restorations
Rewards Points: 288

Re: Made In The USA??

I too am fed up with all that China junk. I say when it breaks send it back to them and let it fill their land fills.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler
Rewards Points: 240

Quote:
If so, list them here so we can support them.
This is going to be a short thread...

Ridgid plumbing tools are still made in USA, forget the power tools though... They went overseas shortly after I quit that company several years back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #4
Pro

How about a Boston tool party. Collect all the garbage china tools and put them on a garbage scow and float them back to china.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I'll have to admit I need to do more research on power tools, however there are still plenty of high quality American made tools:

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

This site is old, possibly outdated on some:
http://www.usstuff.com/tools.htm

Starrett makes top notch mechanic tools in the USA. High price, but your grandkids can use these if you take care of them. I inherited a micrometer from a machinist who used it for 30+ years. Still works great.
www.starrett.com/

http://www.madeinusa.org/nav.cgi?data/tool

And of course many Craftsman hand tools, still with the lifetime Guarantee, are made right here in the USA. Kobalt tools from Lowes, many are made in the USA.

Read the label.

Swanson speed squares are the best in my opinion, many Klein tools and so on.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:53 PM   #6

And how could I forget the folks at Harbor freight: They support american tool manufacturers such as CHICAGO ELECTRIC, made right in the Windy City.

Pittsburgh Tools too!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Tools can be made to any standard that the seller requires. - Everyone has the same opportunity to the same manufacturing equipment and processes/technology as any one else. China uses a lot of American equipment and processes to make "things". It is the seller that determines the specifications and quality. As an example, China makes the most cheap violins in the world, but also make some of the best.

At one time, "Made in the USA" was a sign of inferiority in many other countries, but it later became a quality sign. At one time, Nikon and Canon cameras/lenses were cheap immitations and now they are leaders. The Germans or Swiss had a breakthrough with a micro drill bit - The Japanese got a bit and drilled a hole through it and sent it back!

Times and technology change very quickly now and in the retail market. The consumer is really the one that determines the acceptable level. If you do not want foreign manufactured tools, do not buy them.

Everyone complains about the tech service being farmed out to other countries. Many computer tech service people you get on the phone for computer problems (or for airline reservations, etc.) may be Indian high school students because of their technical ability, knowledge, language ability and the lack of other more qualified people that are doing other better things.

The U.S.A. is now about 13th or 15th in education - Does that tell you something? - Maybe no direction?

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
If you do not want foreign manufactured tools, do not buy them.
OK I don't want to buy them. Can you point me to a power tool company (makes saws, drills, air guns, sanders, etc) that manufactures their products in the USA?

Last edited by Trimcat; 05-29-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #9
I am not a hack.

Trade: California General Contractor/Carpenter

You start reading the labels on your' stuff and jeeez.
All Ridgid stuff is obviously chinese. That corny, biomechanical looking, digital readout, dual bevel, sliding, compound mitre saw from Hitachi is from China as well. At least DeWalt's stuff is made in mexico.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500
Talking

Well, my prediction for the 22nd century (I know, still 100 years far away and don't know if mother earth still warming to Pizza-oven hot?) :

1. All things are made or labor in CHINA;

2. All company phone reps, operators, etc... speak INDIA;

3. America... well... Fast-food service nation & obesity still exist under da sun! J/K

4. Gas is at $15-25 per gallon, and earth population increases with millions of naked scooters & bikes roaming everywhere. J/K

5. All house construction will be modular-made (means pre-cut/manufactured in China & assembled in USA).. from bolts to nuts to screws to pipes to panels to trusses, etc... delivered to site, etc.) J/K

6. All contractors will learn SW to design, look at detailed schematics, and just assemble the house. Customers just pick & choose house designs, options, and materials, etc. from web sites.

Last edited by SelfContract; 05-29-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Possibly, but then, a true tradesman, will be in high demand at that point

If there are any left
Old 05-31-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Here's another link. Pretty scant in the tool category:

http://www.shopunionmade.org/
Old 05-31-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

I recently bought some ratcheting tie-downs, on the package there was an American flag and Made In USA, when I opened them up they said Made In China on them, I was pissed, returned them and couldn't get an explanation. I have seen some stuff that says "Packaged in the USA" or "Assembled with American Parts" etc., very annoying.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: electrician

Klein tools are still made here too!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:05 AM   #15
Pro

It just seems like you can't find a quality tool any more. Everything is trash within six months to a year. Some of the power tools I bought fifteen years ago are still running! I wish the power tool companys would come out with a TRUE contractors series that was made in the USA. Build them to last and charge more for it. I'd be the first in line to buy them. Milwaukee drills have always been my favorite because the are unbelievably durable. Now they're packing up shop and moving to China where I'm sure they will pump a bunch of red junk back here to the states.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimcat View Post
OK I don't want to buy them. Can you point me to a power tool company (makes saws, drills, air guns, sanders, etc) that manufactures their products in the USA?
Some Milwaukee power tools still say Made in USA on them, I just bought a grinder recently and chose them because of it. I don't think the company is wholly American owned anymore, but at least it was made here, using American jobs.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor

I bought and paid more for my J.Deere tractor because I am under the impression it is all still made in the US .It has a Briggs and Stratton motor as well.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 10

we should ignite an old fire with germany and maybe the USA would go on a tool war with them, it seems they make some of the best (hilti,bosch,stabila) did i say tool war
Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #19
R. Manning Jr. Millworks

Trade: Millworks Contractor
Rewards Points: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
And how could I forget the folks at Harbor freight: They support american tool manufacturers such as CHICAGO ELECTRIC, made right in the Windy City.

Pittsburgh Tools too!

Chicago Electric and Pittsburgh Tools are made in China not th U.S. for those of you who did not know.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #20

Talking

Economic Invasion : Yes, China begins to pour tons and tons of cheap quality parts/tools into US soils to deteriorate, to control, and to suppress the America's economy. They invades & control us our dollars & markets badly!

Military Invasion: US invades Iraq, Afghan, etc., to influence their political wars for political power, oils, money, etc. We invade & control their people & religion badly too!

Conclusion: Yes, it's damn Karma thing again...we have to pay back what we've done.

Reap (bad deeds) for what we've sowed!

Advertisement