How Do You Guys Fasten Your Faceframe Wall Angle Cabs? - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

How Do You Guys Fasten Your Faceframe Wall Angle Cabs?

Old 11-29-2016, 01:16 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 229

How Do You Guys Fasten Your Faceframe Wall Angle Cabs?

This will seem silly to veterans. I haven't hung any wall angle cabs up until this point.

When you have a 12" wall angle cab at the end of a run, there is only about 1/4" worth of meat in the face frame if installing the screw from the adjoining cabinet.

Do you just put filler in and screw the boxes together or do you run a 1 3/4" (1 1/2" face frames) and hope/pray?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 587

Re: How Do You Guys Fasten Your Faceframe Wall Angle Cabs?

Basically....
It's lay out for screw location ( watch out for interior steel brackets) in angle cab, drill outside to inside, install short screw from inside of angle cab to adjoining cab, or filler. If I remember right, about a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 #6 dw screw worked well. Any bigger is overkill.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 229

Specifically these are 1/2 ply boxes dovetailed to the faceframes so no metal in the 45 degree joint.

I think I gotcha. Instead of running the screw through the adjoining cab stile I should predrill from the wall angle side and select a fastener that won't blow through the face of the adjoining stile.

Am I understanding correctly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 01:37 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by saynever View Post
Specifically these are 1/2 ply boxes dovetailed to the faceframes so no metal in the 45 degree joint.

I think I gotcha. Instead of running the screw through the adjoining cab stile I should predrill from the wall angle side and select a fastener that won't blow through the face of the adjoining stile.

Am I understanding correctly?
That's correct
Old 12-05-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 2,652

I put the screw behind the frame of the straight cabinet and into the frame of the angled cabinet. You still need to watch your screw length.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

I just did one this week. It seems ever time these are spec'd, they have no doors or glass doors. Fasteners are not pretty to look at so I always keep that in mind when securing cabinets

Most cabinets I work with have a ~3/16" reveal from the edge of the face frame to the side of the box. I fill this empty space with ripped down stock and secure the cabs together from the sides of the boxes, rather than the frames. If bows in the stud wall cause the front edge of the 45 to not mate up with frame beside it, I can play with the width of the stock between the cabs to line it up tight. I use short screws that don't penetrate though the finished interior. Typically use 3 screws right behind the face frame and 2 along the back.

It adds a little bit of time to the install, and is a detail that I look for when preparing the bid.

Advertisement