Hey Leo - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Hey Leo

Old 04-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 9,032

Hey Leo

I have a couple questions for you.

You mainly use conversion varnish for finishing right? If so have you had any luck with feathering in a repair or do you just recoat the whole thing?

Okay onto question 2 and this is more broad. What are you doing for a spray area? I need a better area for spraying.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,468

Re: Hey Leo

I'd recoat the whole thing.

Leo has a fancy spray booth. I spray CV on the concrete in front of my shop. Good natural ventilation there.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
Artist and not a curator

That's what I thought.

They bought a piece of wood prefinished and asked me to build a table with it. I warned them that conversion varnish is not easy to touch up and it was in a A/C'd showroom. Low and behold as soon as I picked it up from the warehouse and unwrapped it from the shipping blankets... There was a large check right where people will be eating.

Cool homeowners though. They decided they wanted me to refinish it anyhow. I love working for good people who appreciate what we do.
Attached Thumbnails
Hey Leo-check-rosewood-waterfall.jpg   Hey Leo-indian-rosewood-waterfall.jpg   Hey Leo-indian-rosewood-leg.jpg  
asevereid (04-10-2018), Bull Trout (04-10-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 36

The beauty of laquer finishes, is the fast flash time, so uber clean work area's are not essential to get good results. We have an independent room that we spray in, but often times when we've been going hard, there's a lot of dust/overspray all over the floors & we have no issues with smooth finish. We try to keep the doors closed between my shop & the spray room with a tubeaxial exhaust fan pulling fumes out.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
sparehair (04-11-2018)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:53 PM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
The beauty of laquer finishes, is the fast flash time, so uber clean work area's are not essential to get good results. We have an independent room that we spray in, but often times when we've been going hard, there's a lot of dust/overspray all over the floors & we have no issues with smooth finish. We try to keep the doors closed between my shop & the spray room with a tubeaxial exhaust fan pulling fumes out.
Yeah, no way I could spray in my shop. I'm severely lacking on dust collection right now. As you can see

I have one of those shipping containers type things right next to the shop that I spray in. Sucks though because I still get dust from outside and the bugs are a bitch to battle unless you spray between 11am until 2pm so it's a short window.

I'd like to set it up at some point where I can get it totally enclosed but that's after my dust issue, I can make do now.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #6
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 17,899

Ya, you need to recoat the whole thing. The only time you can get away with a partial spray is a buffed gloss. Spray it, sand it up to 4000 and buff. Otherwise you need to respray the whole thing. If it's been in use for a while, especially if they use Pledge, you need to spray an isolation coat of vinyl sealer then a fresh coat of CV.

And ya, I have a spray room.

And you'd be surprised what you can get away with in a dusty environment because of the faster dry times.

Fill the crack with West System Epoxy, then spray over that.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut

Last edited by Leo G; 04-10-2018 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
At times the overspray dust and sanding dust on the floor in the sprayroom is pretty thick. Usually makes little difference. Just need to watch out where you aim the air when you are cleaning off parts. If you hit the floor you might produce a cloud. But the fan will take care of that pretty quick.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 138

Fill the crack with poured epoxy. If they’re creative let them pick a color to tint the epoxy.

Tom
Old 04-10-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
At times the overspray dust and sanding dust on the floor in the sprayroom is pretty thick. Usually makes little difference. Just need to watch out where you aim the air when you are cleaning off parts. If you hit the floor you might produce a cloud. But the fan will take care of that pretty quick.
Yepper, that's been our experience as well.

We sealed the floors in our shops with a silicone based sealer. My shop cleans up super nice with just a dust mop. Unfortunately, the paint shop has had too much poly sprayed in it & its not near as smooth or easy to sweep up.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #10
LRG WoodCrafting

My floors are very smooth. Power troweled and the guy knew what he was doing.

I epoxied my sprayroom floor. But that only lasted for a few years before to much paint got stuck to it.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:04 PM   #11
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
My floors are very smooth. Power troweled and the guy knew what he was doing.

I epoxied my sprayroom floor. But that only lasted for a few years before to much paint got stuck to it.

The guys that finished our floors were absolute pro's on the power trowel. Smooth as a babies ass. Jenny puts her dirty lacquer thinner on the paint shop floors to to clean up some of the dry finish to make it easier to sweep. The silicone sealer they used on the floors, helps keep the finish from sticking as hard as it would on raw concrete.

Advertisement