Gonna Build A New Work Station For My Slider. Input Wanted. - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Gonna Build A New Work Station For My Slider. Input Wanted.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 102

Gonna Build A New Work Station For My Slider. Input Wanted.

Currently, my mitersaw station contains a 12" compound miter saw & a radial arm saw. The radial arm is calibrated to square & it never moved off of square for any reason. Earlier in the summer, my dewalt slider had a motor bearing go out & it took some time to get it back together. I was in the middle of a stairway project & didn't have the option of being without a slider, so I bought a Rigid for the trailer, with the intent of putting the dewalt in the shop after it was repaired.

Forward to present, I so rarely use the radial arm, I'm thinkin it's not going in the new bench. I can crosscut wide stock on the tablesaw using a sled. The slider will rough out most anything I need to rough out.

If you were building a custom slider station, what would you put in it?

Here's a sketchup drawing I roughed out for what I'm planning. Each unit will be 24" deep, 34" tall & 7' long. It'll take up 17' of wall space. I plan to put double doors on each 25" wide opening, & shelve each compartment for storage. Trash can will go under the saw.

I have yet to cut the first board for this project, so I'm open to any idea brainstorming. Pics of your bench could sure be helpful as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Gonna build a new work station for my slider. Input wanted.-untitled-sketchup-1192010-103857-pm.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 686

Re: Gonna Build A New Work Station For My Slider. Input Wanted.

With today's large capacity compound mitre's and most everyone seems to have a table saw (finally) I would leave the radial arm out. Most guys I know haven't used them in years.

Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 12:14 AM   #3

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 10

I'd use a round saw for this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #4
Sure, I can do that...

Trade: carpentry/renovations
Rewards Points: 196

check the position of the sliding saw. I use a Bosch 3915. About 10 years old.
The sliding rails won't let me get the back fence any closer than 23 inches to the wall.
Your saw might be different. Likely is, but the drawing shows the fence/guide closer than you will actually be.
The cabinets might need to be deeper than you show them to allow a decent table size. If your saw sits 23 inches from the wall, and can crosscut 12 inches, I'd make the table about 30 inches deep.

Upper cabinets above it? or shelves?
space for a vacuum system under the saw?
saw dust catcher?

Last edited by jlhaslip; 01-20-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Dust collection, modify the cabinet to the left and install DC in it, GMOD
Old 01-20-2010, 07:58 AM   #6

Trade: Cabinets/Built-ins/Woodworking
Rewards Points: 85

I recently built a mitersaw satation in my shop, similar to what you sketched up. I built the cabinets 30" deep 36" tall. It was a great improvement over the small table that I had. Whenever I can afford a 12" mitersaw I will just cut out the counter and drop it in. I have my old 8 1/4" set up for dead on 90deg. crosscuts and use my 10" jobsite saw for any miters that I need in the shop, anyway here are a couple pics if you are interested. I wish my shop had stayed this clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Gonna build a new work station for my slider. Input wanted.-100_0670.jpg   Gonna build a new work station for my slider. Input wanted.-100_0673.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
check the position of the sliding saw. I use a Bosch 3915. About 10 years old.
The sliding rails won't let me get the back fence any closer than 23 inches to the wall.
Your saw might be different. Likely is, but the drawing shows the fence/guide closer than you will actually be.
The cabinets might need to be deeper than you show them to allow a decent table size. If your saw sits 23 inches from the wall, and can crosscut 12 inches, I'd make the table about 30 inches deep.

Upper cabinets above it? or shelves?
space for a vacuum system under the saw?
saw dust catcher?

Your spot on with the distance from the fence to the wall. 24" is my plan. I checked my current setup yesterday & I'm something like 22" already from the wall to the fence because of the dust collection hood on my miter saw, so the footprint isn't going to change much there. My plan is to have around 14-16" in front of the fence. When cutting rails & styles, I always make piles right on the benchtop, so a little extra room in front of the fence is a good thing. I've got a lot of metal shelving from Walmart surplus auctions that'll be mounted on the back wall. My hole shop is plumbed for dust collection.

I went & modified the drawing a bit to include my vision for the dust collection hood & the depth extension of the bench top. Keep the ideas coming guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Gonna build a new work station for my slider. Input wanted.-untitled-sketchup-1202010-74901-am.jpg   Gonna build a new work station for my slider. Input wanted.-untitled-sketchup-1202010-74937-am.jpg  
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,276

Space the fence up a little bit. Dado blade the corner off or router the edge off. Just a little about 3/16" chamfer. When doing multable cuts saw dust will build up in th 90* corner there. Kicks your bourd out ever so slight and throughs off your cut.
wallmaxx (01-26-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,746

You could butt the whole thing up to the wall if you bought a kapex. It needs no room behind it.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Woodworker, Cabinet Maker and Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
You could butt the whole thing up to the wall if you bought a kapex. It needs no room behind it.
Warner, We know you love that green powder.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #11
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

The extra space along the wall is a good spot to store misc cut offs.

Biesemeyer makes a great little stop for your set up.

Name:  Biesemeyer stop.gif
Views: 2529
Size:  11.0 KB

Your drawing looks an awful lot like this photo.

Gonna build a new work station for my slider. Input wanted.-shop-photos009.jpg
Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 150

I will get you pictures of our SCMS bench, it is similar to the ones posted, but I wanted to add to the thread that we still use our radial arm most every day.

We dont use it for any sort of finish work, but when we pull a piece of rough stock out of the rack, 10 to 16 feet long or so, we rough cut it to lengths with the radial arm before surfacing it.

Yes, we could use one of the miter saws, but we save those for finish cuts, in order to save the blade, and not beat on the saw. Just a suggestion, consider keeping the radial arm to do your rough cuts in order to save your slider.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #13
I like Green things

Oh Gus, you and your sexy Italian's!!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #14
I like Green things

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtradesman View Post
Warner, We know you love that green powder.
Yeah, I do. I was just relaying a helpful tidbit about no space required behind the kapex. It is so much smaller than my bosch slider, and about 30lbs. lighter.

I think hitachi's ugly ass, alien looking slider needs minimal room behind it as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Fyrzowt (01-20-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General contractor

My miter saw table is not as fancy but what I love about it is it has wheels. When it is in it's usual place it is against a wall connected to the dust collector.
When I have a piece with a lot of moldings on it I roll it over and save myself a lot of walking. Of course to do this I had to make some sacrifices to the bench detail.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #16
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

....personally I love this...

I am going to be making on soon for my Bosch Slider, however it will have an easy to remove top and saw to place on something like the photo below for job site use, if and when I need the slider out there....

Make this 6' long to fit in the bed and use two Ridgid Flip-Top Supports For the long lengths....it will be either this or Gary Katz's saw stand....

EDIT: I just started the build of the miter station above with the DW708 on it....see my post "Araucoply" in the main carpentry forum.

I have a trim job coming up next week, it's a two story foyer, we are going to be setting up shop in the garage so I wanted to have this miter stand there. I also have a rather large reception desk for a therapy place coming up in a short bit...going to be all cherry... SO, I figured now was the time to make the saw stand.

Last edited by TBFGhost; 01-22-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #17
Focusing on solutions.

[quote=Gus Dering;855374]The extra space along the wall is a good spot to store misc cut offs.

Biesemeyer makes a great little stop for your set up.

Attachment 27629

I bought that stop several years ago with plans of putting it on my next bench. Only problem, I can't find it now that I've gotten around to building my new bench.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #18
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFGhost View Post
I have a trim job coming up next week, it's a two story foyer, we are going to be setting up shop in the garage so I wanted to have this miter stand there. I also have a rather large reception desk for a therapy place coming up in a short bit...going to be all cherry... SO, I figured now was the time to make the saw stand.
Nothin like a new project to get a feller inspired to build a new bench. Look forward to seein the pics.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #19
Time Traveler

Trade: Home Reno's and Millwork

Ghost, That bottom one's has plans on Gary Katz website. Some point and time I'll have a second chopsaw and I have AD&E unit, which Gary's base is that, I think you could get a welding shop to make it easily, but AD&E had some nice stuff too bad he's disappeared.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:20 PM   #20
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

Yeah, The AD&E was something I was after hardcore. I really love alot of Gary Katzs ideas and set-ups...accurate, easy to use and fast to set-up... I may have a shop weld me up a stand like that to accept the slider with it's ply base that way I can leave the "Shop" stand in the "shop". I just can't find a good stand for my 12" slider. I love my Ryobi stand for my 10" miter and is great for fast and easy set-up for the smaller jobs or jobs where I don't need the capacity of the slider...but I found that with the Ryobi stand that the 12" slider will rock in its mounts as it is WAY to heavy for that stand... but the simplicty of the Ryobi stand is just too great to over-look. Carry in the stand with a box of tools or the nailers in one hand and the second trip gets the saw. Clamps right on the to the stand and you are good to go.

If I was going to get another rail based stand system it would be the Porta-Mate PM7000

But I wanted something like the one I am building for the shop.... In a perfect world I would have multiple miter saw stands with saws so I could pick which ever one fit the bill best for the job I was on...but my funds are more limited then that...

Advertisement

Last edited by TBFGhost; 01-23-2010 at 06:23 PM.