Formica Back Splash - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Formica Back Splash

Old 12-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,364

Formica Back Splash

Does anyone know if there is a feasible way to build a kitchen counter back splash with Formica right against the wall with a small piece of trim covering the top edge of Formica and another piece of trim on the inside corner? This is how it was done on old houses, they would use a tiny piece of gold trim about 1/8" to 1/4" big. I looked everywhere for trim like this and the only thing I could find was a metal edge for tile, but not for Formica. Is this just an outdated technique? I went to Home Depot and they had a display set up with Formica wrapped around a 1 x 4 for the back splash. But is that the only way to do a Formica back splash now a days?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: carpenter/remodeler
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Formica Back Splash

I've bought it from my laminate supplier, not a box store, but the distributor. It's been 5 or 6 years, though.

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Still have all my fingers

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 500

Yes it is outdated but you came to the right place. Here is a link to purchase the edging but I warn you it is a little pricey and you can only get it in a stainless finish. http://retrorenovation.com/2008/05/0...te-countertop/
http://maplegrovecabinets.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 150

So you dont want a "full" formica backsplash, you want the top and edges covered in a molding?

They dont want formica on the entire thing?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: General, Electrical, and Plumbing Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

What you are looking for is called aluminum cap and cove, available in natural and several anodized or other finishes.

Try who ever distributes Formica or Wilsonart up there, or a good flooring supply that deals in plastic laminates.

Also Wilsonart has a office/distibution point in Algona, basically a block south of the Supermall on SW 15th just off of 167.

400 Boundary Blvd
Algona, WA 98001
Tel: 253-872-8070
Fax: 253-872-8183
Products: Wilsonart Laminate, Wilsonart Adhesives, Wilsonart Custom Edge, Wilsonart Solid Surface, Wilsonart Sinks

And E.Roko is a authorized wholesale distributer for Formica in Kent
http://www.eroko.ca/locations_page.htm

Last edited by Kgmz; 12-10-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,364

Thanks for the replies, Hitch I will recommend doing a Formica wrap around a 1 x 4 for a back splash but I don't know if he's going to go for that. I need to redo a counter top over an old existing counter top which has the cap and cove detail already, guess that's what you call it. It seems like he wants the same detail but with everything new. So I want to price it out for him and give him the different options.

I will definitely look into those sources you guys posted.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,434

I think the advent of the route/laminate trimmer overcame the need for the metal edging. I would recommend the standard backsplash b/c it's easier to clean and more likely to be sealed to the top for water tightness (silicon the adjoining edge).
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Estimator / Preconstruction Manager
Rewards Points: 2,248

Have bought it several times from a local laminate top maker. $14 for a 12' stick.

Advertisement