Flood Damaged Kitchen Cabinets - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Flood Damaged Kitchen Cabinets

Old 06-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 154

Flood Damaged Kitchen Cabinets

i will soon be dealing with an adjuster on a few flood damage rental properties. I'm guessing they have anywhere from 1"-12" of water on the main floor. Should a person expect the adjuster to replace all the kitchen cabinets including countertops? These cabinets are nothing fancy, custom-built ,painted, in the 60's (pre-particle board days) ... probably not practicle to try and match. The wall cabinets might be ok...although the high humidity might raise havoc with the doors. I would assume that the owner could expect matching wall & base cabinets if the base cabinets are damaged..?? We've done a lot of insurance work over the years, but nothing flood related. I would appreciate any insight.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

Re: Flood Damaged Kitchen Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232323 View Post
i will soon be dealing with an adjuster on a few flood damage rental properties. I'm guessing they have anywhere from 1"-12" of water on the main floor. Should a person expect the adjuster to replace all the kitchen cabinets including countertops? These cabinets are nothing fancy, custom-built ,painted, in the 60's (pre-particle board days) ... probably not practicle to try and match. The wall cabinets might be ok...although the high humidity might raise havoc with the doors. I would assume that the owner could expect matching wall & base cabinets if the base cabinets are damaged..?? We've done a lot of insurance work over the years, but nothing flood related. I would appreciate any insight.

I had a pipe freeze and break in my old house and the water ran unabated for almost three days while we were away. There was probably around four inches of standing water (it was on a slab so it just drained out the sides over the floor plates) at most. My insurance company paid for all new cabinets since they were probably 15 years old or more and not able to be matched. in fact, they paid to gut the house including removing ALL interior drywall four feet up off the floor. It included all new interior doors, moldings, cabinets (kitchen and bath), counter tops, carpet etc. They even replaced all of the electrical recepticles, light switches and even some fixtures.

If these houses have been "flooded" with as much water as you're talking about. I don't see how any insurance company/adjustor could proceed any differently. Especially with the mold issue being so much more prevalent today.

Advertisement

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 06-10-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 482

On hardwood floors, if one room is damaged & it connects to other rooms, they pay for all rooms to be sanded, because we cannot guarantee a match otherwise. I'd suspect you'll get the same on the cabinets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Linear shower drain installations & waterproofing
Rewards Points: 2,000

Yet another reason to install a backup drain in the kitchen.

Consider installing a tile top drain like this for added protection.

These drains can also be used with Hard Wood flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
Flood damaged kitchen cabinets-tile-top-laundry-room.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Insurance Restoration
Rewards Points: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by 232323 View Post
Would you clarify what you mean when you say "flood damaged" rental properties. Where was the Source of Loss from......the outside or inside. If the water came from the outside and traveled on the ground before entering the structure, you most likely won't be covered, unless you have flood coverage. If the source was from a broken line inside the structure, and, the broken line is a legitimate loss occurrence, you will be covered.

On a normal interior water loss, more times than not, the uppers would be replaced if they can't be matched.

If the loss was from outside ground water, and, depending on the policy, the lower four feet of the structure would not be covered, without flood coverage, but the upper four feet of the structure might be covered.

There are a lot of "ifs" without knowing more information.