Finish Work/ How Long - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Finish Work/ How Long

Old 11-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Finish Work/ How Long

Hi guys,

I have a 3 bedroom ranch with large living room, kitchen , bath, small office. My carpenter replaced 11 pre hung doors, then trimmed them out, trimmed 10 windows, and did the base. All white contractor grade. Just wondering how long roughly it should take a carpenter and helper? I know there are many variables ! rough estimate.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Project Manager

Trade: Project Manager
Rewards Points: 2,016

Re: Finish Work/ How Long

I thought you just said your carpenter did it....? You should know how long...

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Pro Cat Herder
Rewards Points: 1,766

That question is alot like the "how much do I charge" question. There are so many variables on how long it should take to trim a house. Where were the materials stocked?, Quality of the framing job?, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by propertyone View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 3 bedroom ranch with large living room, kitchen , bath, small office. My carpenter replaced 11 pre hung doors, then trimmed them out, trimmed 10 windows, and did the base. All white contractor grade. Just wondering how long roughly it should take a carpenter and helper? I know there are many variables ! rough estimate.

2 weeks? What did I win?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
2 weeks? What did I win?
The chance to answer an offspring of the "how much" question.

Your check will be arriving in the mail shortly.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by propertyone View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 3 bedroom ranch with large living room, kitchen , bath, small office. My carpenter replaced 11 pre hung doors, then trimmed them out, trimmed 10 windows, and did the base. All white contractor grade Why bring race into it?. Just wondering how long roughly it should take a carpenter and helper? I know there are many variables ! rough estimate.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 250

Seriously, I know a carpenter who has taken two days to hang and trim one door. I also know a carpenter who can trim out the whole interior of the house you just described in one day with a helper (probably be late for dinner)
Those carpenters would be me... and sadly, I can't explain why its so... but it is so...

Last edited by NormW; 11-05-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Property Preservation and Remodeling.
Rewards Points: 75

However long it took him!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #9

Tomorrow will be a week, I don't think he will be quit done, I am not a carpenter like you pros, just looking for average estimated time . I just don't like being screwed. I am paying him good money. I didn't ask how much. Thanks to anybody who wants to put some thought into question.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #10

The week before he spent some time truing thing up, windows were a little tricky little power planing, all materials stocked for him.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Project Manager

Really hard to say, too many variables...a day to two weeks.

Depending on the framing, drywall, type of doors, type of trim, etc.

Are the door jambs all sized correctly or do they need extension or split jambs? One piece casing, two, three? Are the miters being biscuited? One piece base, two, three? Quarter round, shoe molding? Did he have to make all the window sills and jambs? Is he filling nail holes and caulking? Is he installing hardware for the doors?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #12
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 162

Same as others have said - no issues, I have had a job that size knocked out in a little over a day, other times with issues - about a week

On average - I would say 2 to 3 days

Now are you paying hourly? That is a catch with some of these guys, however by paying piece work - you can get the slap it - caulk it - forget it work that looks like...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
Pro

If it takes him a little over a week, you are not getting screwed. He is right in the ball park, for someone trying to do a careful job.

Its almost impossible to estimate how long it should take, it truly is just like the question.. how much should it cost? It's so rhetorical, as to be meaningless. Biggest question I would ask is? What quality are you looking for? You can't do perfect, yesterday, for the "going" rate...

An overused but usefull way of looking at this is: Think of a triangle, with Quality, Time, and Price. Making up the three sides. If you lengthen any side of the triangle, at least one other side has to move as well... I know this is lame, but some people never realize this...

In other words... If you want him to move faster? what are YOU willing to give up. Settle for Lower Quality, or Pay him more to bring in more resources?

Im not trying to be a pain in the arse... but its nice, when one of us Is put into the customers shoes. Let's us see it from thier perspective... Trust me, if I was in your shoes... I would of tossed em out the window, on tuesday, and done it myself.

Oh, and getting into detail... Are the windows picture framed? or do they have sills and aprons, that can add a lot of time to a trim job...
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
Pro

Read your OP once more... Jeez, to be dead serious... like I was going to bid that, and do a professional job. That's a week to a week and a half job. No B.S.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,364

This is out of the Craftsmen 2009 National Construction Estimator, all in man hours:
Prehung interior doors .5
Casing per opening, per side .25

You didn't say what kind of window trim, but here is for a picture frame, per window.
Extension jambs 4 sides .33
Straight casing with square corners 4 sides .5

Baseboard per LF .04

You can multiply and add them all up if you want. I find these times to be pretty accurate based on what I've done and seen. Except the .25 hrs for casing on one side of an opening seems pretty slow to me. But I saw a guy spend three hours putting casing on two windows once, though he sanded it good, and did a nice job. If it's an easy door or window, I'll probably do a side in .1 hrs, consider the detail being put into everything.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

Sounds like you may be talking about an occupied home, so take into consideration,moving furniture, daily clean up and being careful around personal belongings to the time frame.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,798

I would have been done in 4 days but, it would have been 2x whatever he charged.

I am like the green streak!!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
Cabinetmaker

Trade: Cabinetmaker
Rewards Points: 500

Propertyguy: I see you are an excavator; Tell me how long does it take to dig a hole with 3 sides and a bottom Just about so big, a bit more than so wide?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skymaster For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (11-06-2009), PA woodbutcher (11-06-2009)
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Two days maybe..Four days maybe. What kind of window trim? Just seats? Boxed window returns? Is he set up to trim houses or did you hire a carpenter instead of a trim contractor? Are the walls painted or what? Is there room to work? There are lots of variables.

How about YOU tell us how long it took him and what he did and why you thnk he took too long?
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
chief pencil holder

Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Rewards Points: 1,000

Depends on the scope of work. I can do a slam bam track house by myself in a day, and I just bid a craftsman style custom, doors are already hung and I estimated 96 hours. Completely different quality and scope.

Advertisement

http://sacramentomillworks.com