Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Finish Carpentry (https://www.contractortalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Fine Finish w/o Festool (https://www.contractortalk.com/f13/fine-finish-w-o-festool-55472/)

loneframer 03-18-2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswood (Post 638699)
Hmmm, what?!:cool2:

Just trying to imagine the wind getting under that dress:w00t::tt2:

Gus Dering 03-18-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswood (Post 638704)
Yeah, but I heard he destroyed all the good pics.

Not to change the topic, but I resized some old cabinets today... when you cut your drawers down what do you get...???

In your neck of the woods, I would get cold:laughing:

Gus Dering 03-18-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loneframer (Post 638709)
Just trying to imagine the wind getting under that dress:w00t::tt2:

You would ball your eyes out just like the first graders:cry:

basswood 03-18-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gus Dering (Post 638716)
In your neck of the woods, I would get cold:laughing:

People started wearing shorts here this week, what with it getting all balmy--you know we hit 60 degrees. When it gets to the 80's we all wilt in the heat.:sweatdrop:

TimelessQuality 03-18-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswood (Post 638704)
when you cut your drawers down what do you get...???

Paid I hope:thumbsup:

basswood 03-18-2009 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimelessQuality (Post 638738)
Paid I hope:thumbsup:

Well, that too...

..."Shorts" was the answer... my dad all ways called pants drawers... or dungarees.

john5mt 03-18-2009 07:38 PM

Good idea storing the rails in a gun case....i am definitely stealing that.

I dunno what those ezrails cost when you bought them but i looked at them before i bought my rail saw and it was gonna be around 300 bucks to get the set up.

A little more and i got the ts 55 with my rails.

i have already spent the money and have the saw and router with the rails and really like using them but i can definitely see that that rail system would probably work nearly as good

I do hope someone else starts producing blades to fit the ts55and75

that is one reason why i wont buy a kapex. Festool is nice but i dont like being locked to one brand of miter saw blade. Especially since my closest festool dealer is an hour and a half away.

WarnerConstInc. 03-18-2009 07:42 PM

John, I believe Tenryu makes some. I think there are some others out there as well. All about the same price.

Find you an internet dealer close and you should be able to have them in a couple days.

Festool's blades are very nice and worth the money IMO.

They seem cheap versus me buying Matsush!ta's for everything else.

CarpenterMatt 03-18-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. (Post 638824)
Find you an internet dealer close and you should be able to have them in a couple days.

Festool's blades are very nice and worth the money IMO.

They seem cheap versus me buying Matsush!ta's for everything else.

Absolutely. What is the gripe with Festool blades?:blink: I'm not sure how they compare price wise with other "quality brands" in your country, but here in Oz they're comparable. I dont think you could expect to get a better blade, so I can only assume it's the cost. In my ATF55 plunge cut saw (the TS 55's dad) I found some thin kerf makita blades, & I use these when I'm doing a suspect cut, say trimming back old flooring where I may hit a nail. Having said that, the arbor size may be different on the TS. I've had the original blade on the ATF 55 for 11yrs, a couple of re-sharpens, but still holding up well.:thumbsup:

basswood 03-18-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5mt (Post 638819)
Good idea storing the rails in a gun case....i am definitely stealing that.

I dunno what those ezrails cost when you bought them but i looked at them before i bought my rail saw and it was gonna be around 300 bucks to get the set up.

A little more and i got the ts 55 with my rails.

i have already spent the money and have the saw and router with the rails and really like using them but i can definitely see that that rail system would probably work nearly as good

I do hope someone else starts producing blades to fit the ts55and75

that is one reason why i wont buy a kapex. Festool is nice but i dont like being locked to one brand of miter saw blade. Especially since my closest festool dealer is an hour and a half away.

The gun case i use is a Plano, quite inexpensive. It holds two 50" rail sections.

I went with the EZ Guide because I already had a full lineup of saws and routers, Fein Vac, etc. I have a large collection of blades too and like to buy tools and blades locally and have a good local blade sharpening service.

Why can't Festool make saws that use commonly available blades? That would widen their market considerably IMO.

CarpenterMatt 03-18-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswood (Post 638923)
Why can't Festool make saws that use commonly available blades? That would widen their market considerably IMO.

Anyone know a metal machinist? Wouldn't be too hard to run up some spacers/disks so people could do this. :w00t: Business opportunity!

WarnerConstInc. 03-18-2009 10:10 PM

Guys, you can custom order arbor sizes from losts of different manufacturers. My buddies panel saw and Omga Chop saw have to be custom bored.

Festools blade sizes are pretty much a European Standard.

Double-A 03-18-2009 10:24 PM

Bass,
You car is wearing a bra.:eek:

basswood 03-19-2009 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarpenterMatt (Post 638925)
Anyone know a metal machinist? Wouldn't be too hard to run up some spacers/disks so people could do this. :w00t: Business opportunity!

That is a great idea... I bet those dodads are already in existance... just have to find a supplier and market them. I know I have more money invested in good 10" blades than the price of a Kapex.

basswood 03-19-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double-A (Post 638968)
Bass,
You car is wearing a bra.:eek:

Yep... but I took it off. It was covering up some of the best curves on that model.:w00t:

basswood 03-19-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john5mt (Post 638819)
Good idea storing the rails in a gun case....i am definitely stealing that.

John I also use military surplus ammo boxes for fastener storage... so I show up to the jobsite with my gun case and ammo boxes...

...keeps people wondering.:laughing:

WNYcarpenter 03-22-2009 03:12 AM

Just gotta jumpin here, sorry....anyway, we just purchased the festool circular saw and guide.... it's awesome! We bought it specially for the siding project I'm doing and it's been worth every penny.

I wish there was an easy way to freehand the saw for the occasional "fudge job".

We're cutting dense fiber cemet (minerit) and the dust is BAD!! We're hooked to a shop vac and that is great, but without, even using a jig saw can overwhelm you. It would be nice to be able to pull up the guard and finess a little.

basswood 03-22-2009 08:04 AM

I don't think I would use a Festool on fiber cement siding.

That is one case where the Makita fiber cement saw, with sealed bearings designed for cement dust, would be the best choice. It could be fitted to an EZ rail or used free hand.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...4749_200304749

Roofcheck 01-19-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basswood (Post 636132)

Can you cut in a 4' hallway with this hood type? I see the benefit of this hood cutting outside.

alboston 01-19-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roofcheck (Post 1680739)
Can you cut in a 4' hallway with this hood type? I see the benefit of this hood cutting outside.

Not really. You do need some space behind the saw.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.