Clients Occupying Crown Moulding Work Area...? - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Clients Occupying Crown Moulding Work Area...?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
One man show.

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 222

Clients Occupying Crown Moulding Work Area...?

What is your tolerance for clients occupying work area or even observing, say as you are hanging 16' lengths of crown?

My last 2 crown jobs pushed me to the edge.
Last week the client sat and watched tv for 3 days. While measuring, installing and paint. He just sat there as I'm swinging lengths of crown over his head! Even when I was in front of the tv. He made the record books for longest sitting client.
This week the client wouldnt stop coming out and talking to me or making wise cracks as Im hanging. He even went under me to measure for a cabinet his wife was buying on the internet!!! I looked at his wife like...'WTF!!" She just had a blank look on her face. He kept passing under me as I was doing the foyer. In the beginning I had told him how distracting it was to have clients in the same room while installing let alone liability factors. I think he took it with a grain of salt and did it to irk me!
I know I should say something to clients in the beginning but you don't want to annoy the client or lose the bid cause you mention limitations? But Its just not right.
Does any one have a rule you stick by that your relay to a client before a crown job or do you just put up with it and be glad you're working.....?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 274

Re: Clients Occupying Crown Moulding Work Area...?

I've had similar thing with clients. You can " "accidental" hit them with piece of trim. That works. It's better than installing crown for father inlaw with him standing behind you well you cut insisting that you should bevel inside corners instead of coping everything

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
What is your tolerance for clients occupying work area or even observing, say as you are hanging 16' lengths of crown?

My last 2 crown jobs pushed me to the edge.
Last week the client sat and watched tv for 3 days. While measuring, installing and paint. He just sat there as I'm swinging lengths of crown over his head! Even when I was in front of the tv. He made the record books for longest sitting client.
This week the client wouldnt stop coming out and talking to me or making wise cracks as Im hanging. He even went under me to measure for a cabinet his wife was buying on the internet!!! I looked at his wife like...'WTF!!" She just had a blank look on her face. He kept passing under me as I was doing the foyer. In the beginning I had told him how distracting it was to have clients in the same room while installing let alone liability factors. I think he took it with a grain of salt and did it to irk me!
I know I should say something to clients in the beginning but you don't want to annoy the client or lose the bid cause you mention limitations? But Its just not right.
Does any one have a rule you stick by that your relay to a client before a crown job or do you just put up with it and be glad you're working.....?
Easily handled with bringing up liability throwing it on third party...

"Mr. Customer, for liability reasons, I absolutely cannot have you in the same room that work is being performed. This includes any areas that we need to pass through to gain access to the room we are working on. So another way to look at it is if you see me coming, you should be going because I don't want there to be any chance of you getting hurt by accident. It's not that I am not interested in talking to you but we are trying to focus on what we are doing here and interruptions, no matter how funny, have a way of slowing things down which costs us money."

If he tries to go under your ladder, I would have simply gotten' off the ladder and with a big audible sigh said "I will wait until you are done doing what you are doing, but if you folks keep coming in and getting underfoot, it's going to take a l lot longer and I'm going to have to charge more"...
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
kevbo (03-09-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 274

And having to give a 30 min speech on why? Copeing is better
Old 03-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 40

Some clients are just excited about having something new done to their home, which sounds like the case here. Personally, I use it to my advantage. Don't you know it's easier to upsale an excited client, than it is a pissed off, offended client? I get quite a few clients who can test a persons patience. I work with em, develop a personal relationsip & skip all the way to the bank from the refered jobs they sell for me. My clientel likes taking care of people who treat them well, along with doing quality work.

Last edited by pinwheel; 03-09-2013 at 02:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (03-17-2013), mikeswoods (03-10-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: carpenter & Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,510

Just pull up a chair next to his , ask him for a beer maybe some popcorn and ask him what time the game comes on . Works everytime .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eaglei For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (03-10-2013), dkillianjr (03-09-2013), Tom Struble (03-09-2013), woodworkbykirk (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
One man show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Some clients are just excited about having something new done to their home, which sounds like the case here. Personally, I use it to my advantage. Don't you know it's easier to upsale an excited client, than it is a pissed off, offended client? I get quite a few clients who can test a persons patience. I work with em, develop a personal relationsip & skip all the way to the bank from the refered jobs they sell for me. My clientel likes taking care of people who treat them well, along with doing quality work.
Theres a time for small talk.... while I'm measuring, hanging or fighting miters is not the time. And sitting in the same room...well I will for sure will address that as a no, no next time and if I lose the gig, well....lesson learned.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
One man show.

So do you guys say something before crown jobs or not and just deal with it??
Old 03-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
One man show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithanator View Post
And having to give a 30 min speech on why? Copeing is better
This house is 3 years old, all the base board was copped.....most of the corners had separated....I will take a picture when I go back to hang a door.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,472

My contract includes Jobsite Safety provisions, which makes it clear that;
All work area should be clear of all valuables and personal property prior to starting work.
Any foot traffic by occupants or others prohibited in the work area during construction, unless specified otherwise.
Contractor will not be held liable for any Occupant/s Bodily Injury in the work area and, or for any Property Damage of valuables or personal items left in the work area .
I Mester (03-10-2013), kevbo (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,988

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
So do you guys say something before crown jobs or not and just deal with it??
Set the expectation upfront... we even have a little pamphlet that we send along with the install date letter that talks about valuables, worksite conditions, no animals, kids, etc...

It's not an either or scenario... by setting the expectations upfront before work starts, you negate a lot of these type of issues...

If you act professional, they will treat you like one... and referrals will flow from that and being friendly about it... I doubt very much a lawyer would tolerate you walking through their office poking around while he was working on your case...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Cabinet/Millwork Designer
Rewards Points: 256

Few years ago our crew was installing cabinets in this house - awesome early 1800's Sea Captains house with very hard working owners.

The owner's mid-30's "kid" was parked on the couch from the moment we entered each day to the moment we left. He had one of those remote video game headsets on and was barking assault team orders into it all day long. We'd say hello and goodbye, and he couldn't be bothered to respond to even that.

It was truly sad.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

I always tell them that I work without pants...that usually clears the house.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
chris klee (03-21-2013), TNM (03-10-2013), Tom Struble (03-09-2013), woodworkbykirk (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
designer + carpenter

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKMrazor View Post
Few years ago our crew was installing cabinets in this house - awesome early 1800's Sea Captains house with very hard working owners.

The owner's mid-30's "kid" was parked on the couch from the moment we entered each day to the moment we left. He had one of those remote video game headsets on and was barking assault team orders into it all day long. We'd say hello and goodbye, and he couldn't be bothered to respond to even that.

It was truly sad.
That's hilarious.
The Following User Says Thank You to NINZAN STUDIO For This Useful Post:
OKMrazor (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractors/Specialty Contractors
Rewards Points: 952

That's funny s**t right there!!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,659

I was doing some exterior work for a retiree and the owner kept chiming in, and even brought a chair to sit and watch. When I saw the chair I got off the ladder and said "Did you used to like it when your boss watched over your shoulder as you worked (smile)??...I wish I didn't mind it but somehow it does affect my concentration and I just want to do the best for you...." He practically jumped out of his chair with apologies.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
I always tell them that I work without pants...that usually clears the house.
You just tell them that or you actually do it?
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperiorHIP For This Useful Post:
TAHomeRepairs (03-10-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 5,441

Occasionally the grip on your hammer can become slippery and...

"Oh man! Did that almost hit you?"

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
TNTRenovate (03-10-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

It's a PITA but I just deal with them, It's their money but I do joke with them . My wife says I'm an artist at getting under someone's skin.

I'll look at them seriously and explain I charge double with customers around the work area and triple if they ask questions. I know they wouldn't want to be responsible if I was distracted and cut off a finger then bring up gnarly accidents like the time a guy working for me almost cut his arm off in a miter saw.
Always clears a room.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

I dunno, I ask that everything be removed from the room that is easy, large items can be pushed to the middle as long as I have at least 3 to 4 feet clear around the parameter of the room. That alone keeps them from being able to just sit there and watch.

Advertisement

https://www.facebook.com/PunchlistCarpentry?ref=hl

Last edited by TBFGhost; 03-10-2013 at 06:11 PM.