Blade Wobble New Miter Saw - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Blade Wobble New Miter Saw

Old 08-28-2006, 11:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Blade Wobble New Miter Saw

I sent this to Rob, but he may not be around to reply. I am curious if other Makita owners had this problem with their New Miter Saw, or if anyone has this problem with their New Miter Saw, whatever the brand.

(Rob)

I saw that you have the Makita miter saw that I just bought today. In fact I bought two of them, I returned the first one, but they both have the same problem.

As the blade slows down it has an obvious wobble to it. This just doesn't seem right.

The guys at my tool store thought that was normal and gave me a story about how the different cut of the carbide teeth makes it look like its wobbing but it really isn't. Gee, none of my other carbide blades do that.. My good buddy Jim whom I've worked for on occasion has an old Makita 12" compound miter saw and the blade on that chop saw never wobbled at any speed.

Does yours wobble or not? I plan on contacting Makita tomorrow.

God I don't know how I ever used a chop saw without a Laser. One little dinky pencil mark and you can cut the most curvy moldings perfectly. And the addition of the Fluorescent Light on a bendable arm is very cool. I love how smoothly, effortlessly the table turns on the Makita. All of the other miter saws at Tooland took work to turn.

Thanks for any perspective you can give me on my blade wobble problem....

balanceact

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Blade Wobble New Miter Saw

Cut through a board and leave the blade all the way down as you release the trigger. If it mars the end of the board - it's wobbling. I have the Makita 12" and I haven't seen any wobble in it at all.

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,036

Is it a 'good blade' or the one that came with the saw??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2006, 12:23 AM   #4

Seems to have a slight wobble. When I hold the blade down cutting slightly into wood I can hear a tick tick tick as the blade slows.

It's the blade that came with the saw, a Makita 70 tooth. The arbor also seems to be out of round.

I'll call Makita in the morning. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions Tom and Hatchet

balanceact
Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
miterclamp.com

Trade: interior trim/cabinets
Rewards Points: 150

My guess is that Tom is right on the mark with his question. If your buddy Jim is close by and his blade still doesn't wobble, maybe you could stick his blade on your saw and compare.

Good luck.

jimc
Old 09-04-2006, 12:05 PM   #6

Jim's blade wobbles a bit, but that's on his Bosch 10" and the blade is maybe two years old.

I talked to Makita on Friday and they told me to return the saw. The tech assistant told me to check the saw exactly as I already had done, namely, lift up the protector and "bump" the blade (quick trigger just to get it started) and then watch it as it slows down. Yep. It wobbled slightly.

I took my Makita back to Tooland partly because of the blade wobble but the saw developped another more serious problem, the laser stopped working. Grrrrrrrr.

I tried the last Makita 10", the display model, Tooland had in stock and it's blade wobbled slightly also. They let me put in an new, off the shelf SystiMatic 60 tooth blade and it wobbled the worst of all the blades. That makes 4 blades on 3 Makita 10" miter saws that all wobbled. Was "I" the problem???? Finally I took a new Bosch 10" off the shelf and tried that saw. That blade ran true as a dime and it was a thin style blade! I like the Bosch's high fence that is easily adjustable, but I don't like anything else about the Bosch saw, except of course that it cuts a true line..

Now I'm just very very frustrated. I ain't going to spend almost $600 on a tool that doesn't start out working perfectly... balanceact
Old 09-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Another excellent saw I have and used the heck out of is the Milwaukee 10" SCMS. Very true. The downsides to this saw are that it doesn't have a very tall fence - so I had to make an auxillary fence for crown.
Anyway - that's a bummer on the Makita - I am very happy with my Makita LS1214L.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #8

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 25

i'm taking this thread up since i'm experience the same problem.
first, i bought the LS1013. i was very happy with it until it kickbacked so hard that the plastic kerf broke. since it was 2 weeks old i exchanged for the LS1214. it was there that i noticed a huge wobble. changed blade and the same. took it back to the store, tried it there with different blades and kept wobbling. we tried the demo one, and this one was perfect, but why should i go home with a demo? so, i made them open a new LS1214 and this one was wobbling. since i never noticed the wobbling on the 10" (because i never looked to see if it has any) i decided not to take the 12" and get a 10" again. i opened this one up and bang... it was wobbling too. WHAT A FRUSTRATION... we are talking about makita here. i went back again to the store. at this point they were calling me mr. makita. told them about the problem and made them open a new 10". we tried and to the eye it looked perfect. do a cut and if you let the blade down after releasing the trigger, as it slows down you can here a tch, tch, tch sound. then you look to the cut and you can see the "footprint" of the touching teeth. this trace is about 3/4 long, but it's not even a 1/32 deep.
MY QUESTION: being a makita, is this acceptable?

Advertisement

Last edited by H.U.M.; 06-03-2008 at 08:19 AM.