Auger Bits Dilemma - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Auger Bits Dilemma

Old 02-28-2019, 04:55 PM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 48

Auger Bits Dilemma

Greetz ya'll....

I found an old pal of mine...a 1969 Weiser LockSet kit that was loaded with everything that I left it the nice moulded carrying case...with the exception of one auger bit.

The kit was lost in a move 30 years ago; along with my electric hand plane and a outstandingly powerful jobsite router...both of these are old school Porter Cable. Lost but always missed....but now back in service.

The Weiser tool set had the magnesium adjustable jig for various back sets; hole borers; template and setting punches to center the latch plate through the latch set bore once pushed into the stop and tapping the punch (the punch being a 15/16in shank) for a 2-3/8 to 2-3/4 backset that marks the center of the striker bore.

Anywho....two things, the box is moulded to accept a 1in x 10in (including pulling thread). The 10in over all length is just right for the shorter back sets via the jig. However I'm having trouble locating a auger manufacturer with a catalogue that lists this particular bit.

It's just like any other speedbor with the exception of the length. The kit came with a 12in to bore through to the larger backsets...up to 5 inches. If I can find the lost auger...I'll be in great shape for using my ol' set up for locking out.

Any thoughts on the item itself...or just manufacturer names for jig use site work or shoppe work augers?

thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Auger Bits Dilemma-41okiadxb-l._sl1000_.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 402

Re: Auger Bits Dilemma

I know that there's replacement bits for Templaco and Kwikset on Amazon for their kits... Not sure if they're compatible with your set up or not.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 02-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,056

Maybe I misread but you aren't wanting to find a Speedbor specifically are you? It's far to aggressive for drilling a door in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 05:55 PM   #4

Not necessarily a speedbor....but the posted photo is pretty much the augers found with the door jigs. They're pretty stable once set in the jig....just outstandingly smooth and fast; with the jig alignment, they're square into the cylinder bore.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
I know that there's replacement bits for Templaco and Kwikset on Amazon for their kits... Not sure if they're compatible with your set up or not.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
The hex portion of shank is pretty standard, the only thing I'll need to do is take the new auger bit and the existing 12in auger bit to a mill shop and have them give me a slot for a c-clip that holds back a shank length spring that pulls the auger out when you take the pressure off and clear out the bore.

Thanks!